A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

I had thought about this issue of stricter background checks to catch someone like this and how it could add more to to others visa time line. And yes their is the issue of impringing on one's freedoms.

So rather than making the net tighter to catch these people why not make the fish bigger? Just as being a felon keeps you from owning a gun (legally) or voting being a sex offender should have simaliar restrictions.

Could we have a stamp or notification or some other marking on this person's passport? Some other type or kind of notation that would be shown when ever this person interacted with any type of government office.. I.E. drivers liciense, gov housing, moving interstate etc etc.

Yes these are restriction on ones freedoms, but the reality is, laws are responses to social concerns and if there is enough public sentiment it will be passed. As a former smoker.. ask any current smoker how they feel about (The Laws) which ban smoking in public places? Purely public sentiment and nothing more. Sure we all know the arguements and scientic studies etc etc.. The bottom line is enough people said..."Their ought to be a law about this!" and now there is.

As for a Chinese community in NH.. this would depend on where this town is. NH is mostly rural and not very diverse, you moight find something around the southern boarder close to Boston and perhaps in the portsmith area... know that one guys?? it's where your visa end up during the process..:blink: But my guess is there is little in any comunity at all in NH. Certainly not like a NYC or SF Chinatown or any thing else like it in major cities.

It truely is a sad situation for this woman and her daughter, but as the area can be liberal I would hazzard a guess that there are caring staff at this womans shelter and that she is amoung careing and knowledgeable people.

I just jumped to the last page of this thread and will read it over. Bea and I will certainly add our names to any petition sent out. As I saw mwntioned something about 3 years... if people are pushing for her having her 3 year conditional residency excellerated I am for it. If she were to re-locate to a Chinenes community this would be justice as well. It would be sad if she were forced to return to China and it would send a message of a cold and uncaring country that the USA is.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eeyore and John & Hai Yan...I will send a letter to WMUR tomorrow and see if they have any interest in setting up some sort of fund, or publicizing it, or at least helping us get in contact with some agency that can help us provide some assistance, just in case the police don't get back to us.

There arent a lot of Chinese communities (that I know of) in NH. Mark is correct in assuming that there is a pretty good network of social services, women's shelters, etc. that will help her out on a short term basis. The state should also provide counseling for the little girl (if the language barrier can be overcome); the costs can be charged back to the perpetrator if he is convicted.

And it MAY be possible for them to get a pro-bono attorney to help with the immigration situation and/or a lawyer who is willing to file a suit against the husband on the child's behalf seeking damages.

I guess initially we can provide some financial assistance to them and let them know someone cares. And I assume we can get whoever gives the money to her to also give her some of our phone numbers so she can call if there is other help they need...

I'm hoping that maybe tomorrow, or Monday at the latest, we can have something in place.

None of us want to give up our privacy or give away any of our freedoms but one thing overlooked here is arrest convictions are a matter of public record. Employers do criminal background checks on prospective employees all the time. The USCIS doing a criminal background check on the petitioner and reporting any convictions to the beneficiary is not illegal or an infringement on anyones rights.

Back to the task at hand. Bruce thank you for taking charge and getting the ball rolling. The local newspaper should be contacted so that citizens in the area can get involved too. It is important for us that these people understand that men meeting and marrying Chinese women are not all perverts. I think a phone call to a bank in town there would be all that is required to set up an account we can contribute to. I couldn't find any banks in Danville but there are several in communities nearby. Here are a few.

Name Rating Distance *

1. Edward Jones Company

(603) 329-6112 Po Box 898

Hampstead, NH Map Rate this 3.39 mi

Category: Investment Services - Corporate Investment Banks - Investment Brokerages

2. Community Bank & Trust

(603) 329-9600 10 Main St

Hampstead, NH Map Rate this 3.90 mi

Category: B2B Banks - Banks

3. Banknorth

(603) 329-6711 220 Main St

Hampstead, NH Map Rate this 4.02 mi

4. Banknorth

(603) 642-3353 53 Church St

Kingston, NH Map Rate this 4.09 mi

...-- Site Map | Privacy and Security | Bank Deposits FDIC Insured | Equal Housing Lender Investment and insurance products: not a deposit;... more on web site

www.banknorthma.com/

I just got a chance to read this whole thread and you can count me in for providing a donation. Whatever we set up, let's make sure that it goes directly to her. I would hate for us to donate money to help her only to see it get taken by some scam artist or an agency's processing fees.

I see and deal with the damage created by deviant bastards like him every day I come to work. The emotional cost of ruining someone's life is bad enough, add to that the financial burden placed on taxpayer's and donor's for institutions that try to help the victims of these crimes and we have a problem that needs to be addressed. I'd gladly give up my job if there weren't anymore children that needed treatment.

When it comes to international internet dating, it should be obvious that the phrase "Caveat emptor" applies. It's up to the parties involved to find out who they're getting involved with. I hate the fact that this woman was apparently duped into bringing her young daughter here to this situation, but the reality is, she was duped. I don't mean to imply, by any means, that she was responsible for the reprehensible act of a pervert, not at all.

What concerns me though is the blind faith displayed by some of the women and men who get involved with international relationships. I'm guilty of it. I'm damned lucky that I happened to find an honest and wonderful woman. She's also lucky that I'm not a bad guy because she never really questioned me or my background.

I have this theory that people in the world still see America as the land of opportunity and Americans as good and honest people. Why wouldn't anyone who doesn't know better, sell their right arm to come to America? All the hope and promise of a life in America with a good American is enough to blind almost any trusting soul.

Isn't it human nature to trust that which we want to be true? How do we know that this woman is deserving of our support? Certainly her daughter is innocent, but how do we know that this woman isn't guilty of her own sins? Things that have nothing to do with her daughter getting violated by a pervert. The fact that she's Chinese and a mother of a 5 year old doesn't make her golden.

I'm chosing to give her the benefit of the doubt because she probably is honest and deserving of our support, and her daughter definitely needs the support of loving and concerned people, but I make the choice knowing what I'm doing and feeling that it's right.

The fact remains that too many people make the decision to marry someone they barely know based on evidence presented in an information vacuum. People need to be educated on the dangers and then given tools to make a sound decision about the person they're involved with.

This doesn't take government involvement, but it does take people like you and me. Who better to educate and inform than those of us who have a hard tie with the issue of international relationships?

It seems to me there are ways we can all do background checks on people. If you plan to hire someone for a business, rent to that person, do any kind of business with that person, it seems to me that you can legally get background info on a person pretty quickly. Maybe there should be some service set up for people in other countries so they can request a background check.

Yes Cosmic, I know what your saying about the registering and all. I should have added all that in. I was just trying to say, as Benjamin Franklin said, (I will paraphrase) Those who give up freedoms for security, deserve neither freedom or security... or something like that. For all historians... sorry if I blundered that one.

I work with sex offenders each day, and I have to hold my nose watching them cry out for their "rights", but I dont think I really want to give up my rights in the process...

Am I making sense or just blubbering? B)

Again, I pray for the lady and her poor child...

Just finished reading the thread. It's a sad story. A lot to think about for sure. As other's have mentioned, one thing that came to my mind was the post a few days ago regarding the article on the USCIS website. The first thoughts I had were of the mother and child, and hoping they are receiving some support mentally and physically from that community. Their limited communication skills in english could add to their feeling of isolation. I hope neither one of them feels responsible in any way, especially the little girl.

Then I thought about how I'd like to punish that guy. I'm sure when he's convicted and put away, he'll get what's coming to him. Hopefully they keep him with the general population, and don't segregate him.

I'm also willing to contribute to the fund when the particulars are settled.

It's a catch 22 when something like this happens, people want to change things right away. Then when things are changed people feel their rights are being violated.

It's like how 9/11 changed the security tactics at the airport. In the beginning the majority of americans were all for it. Now more and more you hear people bitching and moaning about their rights being violated at the airport screening stations. Or, bitching and moaning about the long lines and the waiting times. If you know it's going to take a while to get through, then show up earlier. A lot of the waiting is caused by idiots arguing with the staff at the screening stations, just take the damn shoes off or drink from the damn water bottle. If you know you're not supposed to have it in your carry-on, then don't bring it on.

Anyway, I'm all for helping the mother and daughter with a donation to the fund. Just post the when and where.

Bruce;

My wife Binong will be in the states , Springfield, Mass. come jan 21st and there until feb 26th. You can email us here and I'll send alone the telephone number she can be reached at.

Has anyone thought of contacting the Asian Associations close by in Boston and NYC perhaps? They may be able to help her to re-locate and in other ways should she choose to stay in the states.

As an aside.. my mother in-law and my two (new) neices were over today. the youngest is 5 and the oldest is 7. She was so proud to be able to tell me the parts of our babies face in english and the younger one counted the layers of cloths on today.. 5!! darn cold here today. They both love and trust their.. funny tall big nosed Uncle very much.

I just wanted to add to the mis understanding of laws rights and how it effects me etc etc.

As Carl pointed out and he is going down the right road. This person is a convicted sex offender. It is him and others like him that should be restricted, it doesn't have to be a blanket everyone law.

Example if you need glasses to see than you will have a restriction on your drivers licienses.. no background check etc etc. Like wise if you have a handicap.. you can display a decal on your car and park in reserved places.

I am very sure the world would applaud seeing some symbol on this persons passport that says they are a convicted sex offender, (Public record) and this would have no effect on us or anyone else nor delay us in any manner.

How about a simple line of documents filed... we have all seen them.."Ever convicted of...".. It's one thing to force everyone to take a drug test.. it's a totally different thing to ask a drug offender to take one.

This just points out society is able to come to this conclision and is comfortable in restricting someones rights.. so this is just another step in that direction. No I am not crying.. this way leads to hell and damnation for us all.. it's just the beginning of that slippery slope etc etc.. that is silly extremest thinking, loaded with emotional over tones.

What I am saying is society is willing and has stated it can and will ask for the rights of some to be curtailed in the service of all rights. For those of you who do not agree and feel the gov should not be inpringing my rights etc etc.

Let me try and point out the glaring mistakes in your position. If I understand this correctly.. than I can build MY HOUSE any darn where i please with any darn materials I chose. I don't need no darn stinking building permits and the heck with building codes. Now if you are dumb enough to buy my sub built house than pee on you when it falls in and kills you and your family!

Now I will go on to making and selling some food product.. and heck if 9 out of 10 people get sick from it.. oh well.. I'll just market it to a bigger market.. got to figure it's going to take awhile before they all get sick.

Now of course you will get a lawyer to sure me.. and right you should.. but is it my fault that this guy was a clown last week and a taxi driver the week before and lord knows what.. so after taking your 5'000.00 retainer to sue me.. hey is it my fault he's on the beaches of sunny south america while you are still waiting for that cold day in hell to get your money back? and on and on it goes.

Think of this.. China 5000 years of history 5 times the population of the USA.. but it is no more than a developing country.. when it gained entrance into the WTO.. one big thing it did was to write 10's of thousands of new laws on the books! No business man in his right mind would invest in China before hand.. Ask the people who.. 40 odd years later are still waiting for Castro to be over thrown.. well, die really so that they can reclaim their companies and property in Cuba.

A lazei faire or let the buyer beware additude is regressive thinking and a determent to society. Any society is like a person it grows and changes and progresses. Thru this growth old ideas are given up, changed and disgarded as ones experience and understanding expands. One's expectations of other's changes and more responsabality is taken on and asked of others... the bottom is moved up just as the child learns to crawl and than to totter and to walk.

The members of a society ask for more and more rights and protections, more and more codified behavior and equal and fair treatment. We extend to ourselves more rights and expectations and that is the role of government.

Ok a simple google search of this person's name city and state and the terms sex offender. http://oit.nh.gov/nsor/display.asp?lname=BAIRD;HAROLD

Well this system certainly works! but what Chinese woman would think to do this.. heck what person on this board would think to check this??

P.S. I am half way around the world and I can reach out and find this info. I am pretty sure the USA can go the extra step to see to it that this doesn't happen again even if it means someone at INS has to, god forbid resort to google to check out someone's name..

sorry to be bombing this thread but... http://oit.nh.gov/nsor/result.asp this is just UFB..!!!

This isn't just a couple of nut case people.. this could be the total pop of a small rural town in NH!!

Perhaps some of the people here in the know could tell us just how many of these people there are out there? I think I can state firmly that wherever I and my wife and daughter live for many years to come.. the first thing I'll be doing is a google search of sex offenders in the area..!!

I know that my opinion here is going to be unpopular and I will be accused of being insensitive. I'm not insensitive, but here goes...

From what I've learned here the K-1 visa process doesn't check much of anything on the US citizen. The G-325 form you have filled out could be used to initiate a background check on you, but I don't think it's done. I just checked the form again, and there is no place to give permission for a background check.

There is a general permission on the I-129F that allows for information to be released about both the US Citizen and the beneficiary, but the context of the statement is for verifing eligibility for the I-129F, ie legally allowed to marry.

Keep in mind that if criminal databases were checked for the US citizen then the process would change from about 1 year to probably two or three years at a MINIMUM. Most of the criminal databases are kept by the states, so any person would need 50 data base checks MINIMUM. The sexual predator databases are separate because they are publicly accessible, so now there would be 100 database checks required.

In addition, it is known that most of the sexual predator databases are not correct. The information is not current and there are people listed that shouldn't be. In addition addresses and names can change and the databases are not kept current.

I think that if the US citizen was to be given a criminal database check then the entire K-1 visa process would come to a complete halt. It would be years before it could be restarted and would probably cost over US $100 million dollars. Recall that just two days ago the FBI said it's 'under development' case file system may need to be scrapped after spending OVER US $170 million.

My final major point is that the US Citizen that has convictions is not prohibited by law from marrying. That is really the only certification that is provided. The other thing, like I-134 statement of support is just a 'nice thing' to ensure that the fiancee' doesn't end up on public assistance, as the I-134 compels the US citizen to provide support for three years.

If you've read this much of my post then you probably think I'm some kind of lawyer or other type of insensitive creep. I'm not, I promise. However, I am opposed to the adding-on of regulation and increased bureaucracy everytime the exiting process or procedure shows a flaw.

It is a terribly unfortunate that the woman and her daughter came to USA and the daughter was abused. But, it is not the US Government's fault. The Government likely followed the required procedures and issued the visa based on the information provided by the petitioner and the benificiary. For the person to sue the USBCIS successfully they would have to prove some kind of negligence or gross failing in the procedures. I don't think this will be shown to be the case.

The Chinese woman trusted the American. In this case she shouldn't have, but she didn't find this out until it was too late. This illustrates one of the evils of technology, when you meet a person onine you really have no idea who they are or where they are. It is true that this scenario could have occured without the use of computers, and in fact I have no idea how the couple met. However, the use of computers makes it much easier to meet people.

I believe that the accused should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That is, trial by a jury of peers, not the press and not the court of public opinion. There is no need for vigilante justice or anything like that.

I further believe that the woman and her child should be given green cards immediately if they want them. That could be interpreted as something of an apology. Heck, give them the cards whether they want them or not. Then they have more options about what to do next.

Finally, I think it is pretty ironic that most of the posts here talk about how long and arduous the process of getting a K-1 visa is, but now many people want to add a LOT of time and cost to the process because of this incident. Yes, it's a terrible thing that happened, but it's not the government's fault. It is the abuser's fault. The government can't protect everyone from every hazard.