A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

Thanks.  I was thinking that when I talk with them I will ask for specific assurances that all the money we contribute will go directly to the woman and her daughter.  

I also hoping that we can have some system (maybe by writing 'Jenny/CFL' memo on our checks) that a tally can be kept of CFL's support.  

I will also pass along the contact info given to me by a couple of kind SOs, in case she wants to talk, or has some other specific needs that we might be able to help her with.

Bruce,

Thanks for all that you are doing. It might be a good idea for CFL members to send their checks to you and have them presented as a single gift from CFL members. That way we could send all the checks to you now, and you could get them to their final destination by mail or personal delivery when you get a location. This is my suggestion anyway. Others may want to offer different suggestions.

Also by making one gift we might be able to get a news story about the CFL gift to this woman and her daughter. It could serve as an invitation to ask members of the Danville community to make donations. Wouldn't it be great if CFL could raise at least $1,000. With all the people who have pledged to make donations we might already be past that amount. I hope so. I think it would be helpful if we all put ourselves in her shoes. Jenny and her daughter desperately need help. I hope everyone will be generous and give whatever they are able to. Like Trigg, I'm also anxious to send my check.

I'm convinced that we will go way beyond the $1,000.00 dollar mark. 'Jenny' and her daughter will need much more than this to start a new life or go to China or whatever it is they want to do. I know that we are all in a very different financial situation and that for some a few dollars is all that can be afforded and some of us can afford much more than that.

I know my CFL brethren will give what they can wether it be $1 or $1000 dollars. This is to close to home to say 'let them take care of it'. My friends, we are them. I agree John's idea about sending the money to Bruce and then having him deliver it is on the money. This will insure that the initial donations are given directly to 'Jenny'.

I would also like to see a bank account fund set up for those who would donate again or for those who would rather send to a fund. As long as 'Jenny' and her daughter benefit from all the donations-no administrative fees.

The kindness I see emanating from the brothers and sisters of CFL is the reason I could not stay away. I for one am proud to be a member, if only part time.

Trigg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very reassuring to read the chief's words

" They will be quite humbled to hear of all the support that has stepped forward. I can tell you they are wonderful people. Truly deserving of a better life."

I't s clear that he thinks highly of them.

Re collecting checks, I can do that if that's what folks want. There are two ways (that occur to me right now) to do it:

1. I talk to the woman at the shelter and find out how she wants the checks made out, and post that. You fill out the checks accordingly, send them here and I deliver the pile.

2. With the help of 1 or more CFLers I open a bank account (with multiple signatories) entitled 'The Jenny Fund' or some such thing. You make out your checks accordingly, and send them, and when we have them all, we will get a cashier's check and deliver it to her or to someone on her behalf.

The other option is just to send the checks to the womans' shelter, made out as they suggest, and ask if they will keep track of them for us.

Although publicity of our efforts may spur donations from others, it may be best to try to get an indication from the woman as to her feelings on the subject prior to attempting to publicize our support. It is possible she would greatly appreciate our offer of help, and needs it badly, but at the same time might consider it a mortifying loss of face to have everyone in the community know she needs help...She may also be concerned that it will draw more attention to her daughter.

I like option 2 personally but I'll go along with the crowd. The reason I like option 2 is if we can get some press on the subject the local townspeople will want to donate too. I wouldn't worry too much about the extra publicity. I imagine it has been a media circus anyway. "The Jenny fund" has a nice ring to it. Perhaps we could post on a few other sites as well such as British ex pats or visa journey and and boost the donations.

Thanks.  I was thinking that when I talk with them I will ask for specific assurances that all the money we contribute will go directly to the woman and her daughter.  

I also hoping that we can have some system (maybe by writing 'Jenny/CFL' memo on our checks) that a tally can be kept of CFL's support.  

I will also pass along the contact info given to me by a couple of kind SOs, in case she wants to talk, or has some other specific needs that we might be able to help her with.

Bruce,

Thanks for all that you are doing. It might be a good idea for CFL members to send their checks to you and have them presented as a single gift from CFL members. That way we could send all the checks to you now, and you could get them to their final destination by mail or personal delivery when you get a location. This is my suggestion anyway. Others may want to offer different suggestions.

Also by making one gift we might be able to get a news story about the CFL gift to this woman and her daughter. It could serve as an invitation to ask members of the Danville community to make donations. Wouldn't it be great if CFL could raise at least $1,000. With all the people who have pledged to make donations we might already be past that amount. I hope so. I think it would be helpful if we all put ourselves in her shoes. Jenny and her daughter desperately need help. I hope everyone will be generous and give whatever they are able to. Like Trigg, I'm also anxious to send my check.

I'm convinced that we will go way beyond the $1,000.00 dollar mark. 'Jenny' and her daughter will need much more than this to start a new life or go to China or whatever it is they want to do. I know that we are all in a very different financial situation and that for some a few dollars is all that can be afforded and some of us can afford much more than that.

I know my CFL brethren will give what they can wether it be $1 or $1000 dollars. This is to close to home to say 'let them take care of it'. My friends, we are them. I agree John's idea about sending the money to Bruce and then having him deliver it is on the money. This will insure that the initial donations are given directly to 'Jenny'.

I would also like to see a bank account fund set up for those who would donate again or for those who would rather send to a fund. As long as 'Jenny' and her daughter benefit from all the donations-no administrative fees.

The kindness I see emanating from the brothers and sisters of CFL is the reason I could not stay away. I for one am proud to be a member, if only part time.

Trigg

You are right Trigg. Last I looked at Taz's poll it was 700 with only a few chiming in. I think it will go beyond 2000. This is the magic of candle. I have visited a lot of K-visa sites but this is the only one where I ever felt that kind of camardarie. When Bing and I went through our personal hell the way people pulled together for us was truely awe inspiring. I had no idea how to procede when she was given the blue slip but in just a few short days a battle plan formulated and people stepped forward to help me implement it. Some of them were little things that proved to be invaluable like how to catch a bus to SZ. others were larger like how to write the letter to the VO. Probably the biggest thing was Lmark and his beautiful wife Bea. Bea helped get Bing to SZ and lined up a hotel and arrange for us all to meet. Mark was a superhero to shoot the video and burn it off onto a CD. Bea in turn helped us find a place to take it and have it burned off onto a VCR tape in the correct format. Everyone gave us support and encouragement. In the end we pulled it off. Largely due to the efforts of you guys here at CFL.

Now I see the magic working again for a much greater cause. This poor woman and her daughter who have no one to turn too. My hat is off to you guys. You really really rock.

I like John's idea of aggregating the money and making a single, large donation from CFL. I'm not concerned about whether we get any PR out of this - that's secondary, but I would like to make sure that most, if not all, of the money goes to the family. Let's see what Bruce comes up with on the logistics.

ok...We're ready to roll...

Michelle at 'A Safe Place' was very helpful and appreciative of our willingness to help a family that faces not just the usual stress and turmoil of a family staying in a shelter because of alleged sexaul assualt on a child, but also the challenges presented by being a foreigner in a strange land with a limited understanding of the language and the system.

She assured me that all donations designated for the family will go directly to the family in full, (as provided in the group's charter and non-profit tax status) and that she will provide us information on what has been recieved.

The checks can be sent to :

A Safe Place

6 Greenleaf Woods Drive #101

Portsmouth, NH 03803

The checks should be made out to 'A Safe Place", with the memo "Chinese Immigrants' Fund" so it is clear who the contributions are designated for.

In the alternative, you can send them to me (made out the same way)

Bruce Simpson

PO Box 296

Dublin, NH 03444

I'll tally them up and ship them out. As the family may need them ASAP, I'd rather send several bunches as they arrive, rather than waiting until they all arrive.

Let me know if you prefer that your contribution be anonymous, otherwise I will post a list with names and contributions as I recieve them.

Thanks

By the way, (if you itemize deductions) your contributions tax-deductible, as this is a nonprofit charitable organization.

Perhaps I'm more skeptical of charital organizations. I know nothing of 'safe place' and have no idea if the 'Chinese Immigrants' Fund is for 'Jenny' or who. I feel more comfortable sending this to Bruce and having him distribute it to the 'Jenny fund'. Afterall, I know where he lives- :lol:

If a local bank set up a 'Jenny fund' with all the money going directly to her--then that is the way I would do it. However, waiting isn't an option so my check is being mailed today to Bruces address.

Trigg

I like John's idea of aggregating the money and making a single, large donation from CFL.  I'm not concerned about whether we get any PR out of this - that's secondary, but I would like to make sure that most, if not all, of the money goes to the family.  Let's see what Bruce comes up with on the logistics.

Frank & Don,

I didn't mean to indicate we wanted credit for making donations. There is only one reason for trying to obtain publicity. It's to alert the larger community about the fact that there are donations being made. Hopefully a story about us making donations will encourage others to do the same. I have been involved with many fundraising events, and the media needs a new reason for each new story they write about something. If the larger community gets involved there is much greater potential for raising the kind of money this woman and her daughter will need to get a fresh start in life in the USA. If anyone on CFL has ever done PR before maybe they can help us out.

I feel very confident about "A Safe Place" being a safe place to send donations, either directly or through me. I'm sure the Chief would not have entrusted this woman and her child to them for protection, or suggested that we contact them as a means for providing assistance if they weren't a reputable and above-board organization. Indeed, it would appear from Goodgle search on them that they are highly regarded. Here are a couple of links about them:

http://www.portsmouthnh.com/org/asp/

http://www.volunteersolutions.org/voluntee...org/219148.html

And even if I (and some other members) were to go to the time and effort of setting up a separate bank account, I still don't know how to get the funds to her except through "A Safe Place;" as I don't know who she is or where she is.

And, I haven't much extra time these days with all that has been happening, including trying to get enough work done so that my very demanding employer does not fire me for flying off next month for my second 10 day vacation to China since I started work less than six months ago... and playing host to family members who will fly in tonight for the upcoming funereal services and stay until the 29th...

And, as I said, the organization promised me that any designated donations would go directly to the woman, and that they will keep track of all that come in, either directly, or thru me, and provide an accounting to us.

"Jenny" was apparently a pseudonym choosen by the chief, the woman at the shelter and I agreed upon 'Chinese Immigrants' Fund' because there would be no confusion as to who the contributions were intended for.

well Carl, you rock too dude. You are one of the main players in getting this thing together--keep goin' man. This IS what the candle is about. Damned glad I came back.

As big of a ham as I am I have to say that I have done very little on this. Bruce is the one who deserves many pats on the back. He has a lot on his plate right now considering his mother just died and his SO just got her P-4. Thank you Bruce, You are the man.