A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

And as you said nothing out of the ordinary from this person's posts. The post he made concerning interviewing was chilling in the light of what has happened and certainly speaks of a person versed in lieing, someone who has observed others closely and is a judge of human behavior.

Just wondering if it would be appropriate to yank his membership. I don't want to pre-judge, but I having trouble with reasonable doubt here.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help but get as strong sense that some of you are feeling as though you should have spotted this poor excuse for a human being for what he is. Some may even be feeling a sense of guilt for not being in tune to this and therefor preventing this disastrous from happening.

Nothing could be farther from the reality. RMark said it well when he said this is a sickness and other aspects of this persons life will likely appear normal. It goes well beyond this though. Pedophilia is under the broad category of Anti-Social Behavior Disorder. These people do share some common traits. The most striking is their above average social skills. One could use Ted Bundy as an example. This makes them seem friendly and nice--like the fella next door and almost impossible to detect. Having spent my professional life dealing with mental health issues I can assure you, as RMark can, that none of us-not the lay person nor the psychologist, could have foreseen this and subsequently done anything to prevent it.

Finding out what and who did this came as the same shock to me as it did to my CFL brethren. My thoughts and hopes are with the child and her mother. Like RMark, I have spent a great deal of time trying to undo the damage that has been done by men like this. Although it is a monumental task, It is doable. This child and her mother can still enjoy life and a peaceful happy future. It will just take help from good people like you all and a lot of 'real' love

Just my thoughts

Trigg

Here is his (chilling) post-interview post:

The interviewer asked me some questions about your job, and when we met in person and why I want to marry an American man. I answered him honestly. And he also asked me if I am sure I would love to marry a man who I have stayed with for only 11 days. I anwered him "Yes, because he is so kind and he really love me. I think that's enough." And then he smiled and told me that  my visa had been approved. It was half past 12 and I was the last applicant in the office."

The most difficult thing about the visa process for us, was getting a passport for her daughter.   She is 4 years old and her birth was not registered because she was her second daughter.  When Wanzhen gave bitth the babys father threw them out, because the only way for them to register the birth was for both the father and mother to be sterilized, or for them to pay a hugh fine.

Clearly, this man beat the system by finding a very vulnerable lady who wanted to find a kind American man. If this account is true she has had a tough time with men.

Criminals are quick to spot vulnerable people. In a pedophile's world the vulnerable people most easy to victimize are often abused, lonely women and their little children.

Is it possible that we should consider contacting the Internet Dating Sites (like Asia Friend Finders) and inform them that all members (men and women) do need to consider checking the background of prospective spouses - particularily if they have children. Or is this "Over The Top."

Rupert

Probably a little over the top Rupert. We are not the internet police. I am sure that by now 001 is buzzing with this story and most of the women already know. I doubt that most women in China would be able to get a criminal background check on an american citizen anyway. I still hold that since one is preformed on us anyway during the visa process the beneficiary should be notified of any past violent criminal records long before interview.

Is it possible that we should consider contacting the Internet Dating Sites (like Asia Friend Finders) and inform them that all members (men and women) do need to consider checking the background of prospective spouses - particularily if they have children.  Or is this "Over The Top."

IMHO, I don't think it's over the top, but I don't particularly want CFL to become a proactive advocacy organization for fear that its character might change.

There have been a fair number of threads about how the USC can't be sure about his/her foreign fiance(e)/spouse. Believe me though, it is a real fear from the other side as well. I don't know how many times Jingwen has asked me to talk to someone that had been corresponding with a friend of hers - she even wanted me to call some guy in New Zealand. When something like Danville becomes public, it really strikes fear in the hearts of the foreign SO - who is usually a woman.

For some reason though, I thought some of the sites already run background checks on its members. Don't you have to be a member of AFF, for example, in order to correspond with the listees?

I just got home and found this in my inbox, from the Danville Chief:

Bruce,

Please accept my apology for taking so long to get back to you. As you

might imagine, this case has consumed much of our time and there have been

plenty of media distractions due to the facts and circumstances involved.

First, please extend my sincere gratitude to all of you for your

willingness to offer assistance to "Jenny" and her daughter. They will be

quite humbled to hear of all the support that has stepped forward. I can

tell you they are wonderful people. Truly deserving of a better life.

Jenny and her daughter are currently in the care of 'A Safe Place' and of

course their exact location cannot be disclosed. If you or anyone else

would like to forward assistance, it can be arranged by contacting 'A Safe

Place' at 603-436-4619 and speaking with either Pam (Ext. 2) or Michelle

(Ext. 10). They can also be reached by email, pamh@asafeplacenh.org.

Thank you again for your kind offerings.

Sincerely,

Wade H. Parsons

Chief of Police

Neither of the contacts are available now, but I can call them back first thing in the morning, and we should have something set up very soon.

Thanks. I was thinking that when I talk with them I will ask for specific assurances that all the money we contribute will go directly to the woman and her daughter.

I also hoping that we can have some system (maybe by writing 'Jenny/CFL' memo on our checks) that a tally can be kept of CFL's support.

I will also pass along the contact info given to me by a couple of kind SOs, in case she wants to talk, or has some other specific needs that we might be able to help her with.

Thanks.  I was thinking that when I talk with them I will ask for specific assurances that all the money we contribute will go directly to the woman and her daughter.  

I also hoping that we can have some system (maybe by writing 'Jenny/CFL' memo on our checks) that a tally can be kept of CFL's support.  

I will also pass along the contact info given to me by a couple of kind SOs, in case she wants to talk, or has some other specific needs that we might be able to help her with.

Bruce,

Thanks for all that you are doing. It might be a good idea for CFL members to send their checks to you and have them presented as a single gift from CFL members. That way we could send all the checks to you now, and you could get them to their final destination by mail or personal delivery when you get a location. This is my suggestion anyway. Others may want to offer different suggestions.

Also by making one gift we might be able to get a news story about the CFL gift to this woman and her daughter. It could serve as an invitation to ask members of the Danville community to make donations. Wouldn't it be great if CFL could raise at least $1,000. With all the people who have pledged to make donations we might already be past that amount. I hope so. I think it would be helpful if we all put ourselves in her shoes. Jenny and her daughter desperately need help. I hope everyone will be generous and give whatever they are able to. Like Trigg, I'm also anxious to send my check.

A.  Probably a little over the top Rupert.  We are not the internet police.

B.  I still hold that since one is preformed on us anyway during the visa process the beneficiary should be notified of any past violent criminal records long before interview.

A. You are probably right. An action like that would would go outside our mission.

B. I don't know that they check for a violent criminal background. They should!

Rupert