A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can this possibly happen? A horrible crime. This could have been EASILY avoided. Lots of people have fouled-up.

The Department of Homeland Security and State Department would do much better checking criminal backgrounds than repeatedly asking for the same trivial information. The government plows itself (and us!) under tons of paperwork and packets but fails to check important things.

But, in fairness, the Chinese Government has also "dropped the ball."

It was very easy to get a marriage license in Nanning.

They could easily require some sort of background check for serious crimes.

Rupert

Bruce,

You should contact the news media in the area that reported the story, they may be able to provide some info and advertise that there is a help fund being set up.

Thomas.

Great idea Thomas! Can that be done Bruce? Maybe you can contact a repoter who covered the story. They might be open to doing a follow up story about people who want to help. Maybe the local community can be encouraged to make some donations.

Is there a chinatown nearby? Sometimes there are Chinese social or religious organizations that help new Chinese immigrants.

I am also to be included in the support for this lady and her daughter.

As a correctional officer, I can almost promise once the word gets out about the crimes this man committed, internal punshiment will commence. I know that we had a "problem" (hehehehe) with inmate "hit" teams that would have relatives find out online who was in the prison that had a conviction of child molestation, then the inmates inside would take care of the offender. These days, its done without any help from the C.O.'s . Of course, we have to prevent it... but sometimes we arrive a little late... :blink:

To all the members who think we should have such detailed background checks done on us, and checked out so completely by the US Governement, dont forget something so very important to the liberties of being American.... freedom from the Government. In cases like these, we tend to think how can he slip through? But if the Government tries to find out stuff on citizens... at least recently (with President Bush in office) everyone starts screaming about the Patriot Act, and privacy, etc etc.. so dont forget the balance between freedom and invasion. :blink:

The man was a pig, is a pig, and will get his... Let us offer our prayers and support to the poor lady and her child.. but not get angry and give up our freedoms... :blink:

Bahan: Yes, everything you say is true, but this man is a convicted felon and as such, does not enjoy the same rights and freedoms that the rest of us have. He has to go to the local authorities in every city he will live in and report the fact that he is a convicted child molester and he intends to live in that community.

Detailed background checks are a necessary evil, but for him to have passed his "checks" is inexcusable, unacceptable and an indication of a complete failure of the system. A proposed "family" with a convicted child molester and a 5 year old girl and everyone just goes about their business and processes all the forms. A few people should lose their job for this screw up!!!

To all the members who think we should have such detailed background checks done on us, and checked out so completely by the US Governement, dont forget something so very important to the liberties of being American.... freedom from the Government. In cases like these, we tend to think how can he slip through? But if the Government tries to find out stuff on citizens... at least recently (with President Bush in office) everyone starts screaming about the Patriot Act, and privacy, etc etc.. so dont forget the balance between freedom and invasion. :blink:

True. You make a very strong point!

However, it appears to me that we give the State Department lots of personal information, anyway. What does it matter to them, for example, when my father and mother were born! What does it matter to them etc. etc. etc. However, I would like to think that either the US government or Chinese government would glance at a person's record to see if there was something glaring. For example, like being a damned pedophile bringing a little child into the country, for God's sake.

Anyway, what about the liberty to marry whom you want - without undue government interference and delay? It seems that my country defends the wrong freedoms.

Rupert

A couple of comments...

I think names should only be publicized AFTER a person is convicted in a trial for a crime.

I do not know this Harold guy... nor do I want to know him. However, I think our news agencies should treat information like this using the rule that a US Citizen is innocent until proven guilty by a jury of peers in a court of law. And, internet news… that can be very unreliable.

In this case, we could easily have language, translation and interpretation difficulties. We could have cultural differences. We could have outright fraud. Right now, we are all jumping to conclusions without seeing any physical evidence that was collected, and based on 3rd or 4th generation hearsay.

Let's wait until after the trial... then at the appropriate time, string him up.

As far as background checks.

The checks on the US Citizen were very restrictive due to privacy issues. Our constitutional law does not allow the investigation of a crime, or the potential of committing a crime without actually having probable cause. I.E. If there is no evidence of a crime being committed, they can not investigate you. And, the last I heard, falling in love is not a crime.

That said, the INS could publish certain guidelines of who is or is not eligible for sponsoring a visa. I.E. Convicted sex offenders against juveniles should not be allowed to sponsor K2 or K4 visas. The rules should be specified, published… then the conditions should be verified.

Perhaps other violent offenses should also be restricted from being able to sponsor visas. Rapes, Murders, etc. Again, I think this should be specified up front. There should be none of…. "Ummm… steeling a candy bar, is that bad enough to prevent a person from sponsoring a visa?????" "Bob stole a mars bar when he was 6, Joe stole a Million Dollar Bar when he was 12" :blink:

----- Clifford -----

I would like to add to what keelec posted. We do tend to over react sometimes when a child is involved. If he is guilty castration is not enough. But... I have an aquaintance that was arrested for molesting his 12 year old stepdaughter. I couldn't believe it as i have met the whole family. He has just about lost everything fighting this aquisation. It turns out that his stepdaughter was po'd cos she could not have her own cellphone. But here in the community he was already guilty. However he is not a convicted child molester or felon. But his wife and child do need help and i am proud of the way everyone here has joined in. I am very glad to be part of this forum.

mark

ps. I thought that felons cannot get a passport so i guess he never visited?

It is always the people you least suspect.

The "nice" people.

Watch out for people who say they "love" children.

Coaches, Police Officers, Teachers, Counselors.

Take Care....

pkf

WHOA the wagons. Yes, those positions are potential playgrounds for perverts but I gotta believe that the vast majority of people who say they love kids really do. I coached baseball and football for many years and have never met anyone who fit the description of pervert. Extreme caution should be used when profiling a pedophile, as extreme caution should be used with trusting our children's well being to others.

A little healthy paranoia is a good thing but screaming about the sky falling is a bit much.

I am also to be included in the support for this lady and her daughter.

As a correctional officer, I can almost promise once the word gets out about the crimes this man committed, internal punshiment will commence. I know that we had a "problem"  (hehehehe) with inmate "hit" teams that would have relatives find out online who was in the prison that had a conviction of child molestation, then the inmates inside would take care of the offender. These days, its done without any help from the C.O.'s . Of course, we have to prevent it... but sometimes we arrive a little late...    :blink:

The man was a pig, is a pig, and will get his... Let us offer our prayers and support to the poor lady and her child.. but not get angry and give up our freedoms...  :blink:

Don't forget Charles Graner.