A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

I agree, Maiyademama, I wish we could do something, but I'm not sure how we could offer her any help: the laws protect their privacy so it would be difficult to get contact information. That's why I looked for a phone #, but there is none listed.

I wish Ying was here now; (well, i always wish that) and she could call the police and say she is part of a support group and ask them to give our number to the woman and say she could call her if she wanted help or just someone to talk to. We could, at the very least, help her deal with some of the red tape and offer her some support.

Being a single guy here calling about getting a hold of them may (indeed should) raise suspicions with the Police, and it's very unlikely I would get any information.

By the way, I live about 1 1/2 hours west of them.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple months ago I read online that the FBI started a policy of doing background checks on Americans in September or October of 2004. If I remember right their reasoning for this was to catch terrorists bringing other terrorists here. Hopefully this will also catch sex offenders.

You guys bring up some very good points. The article mentioned that people were whispering and wondering when they found out the woman had a child. I wonder why no one tryed to tell the woman about his past conviction.

As far as helping her we are a group that is very close to Chinese and immigration issues. We should try to help. Granted the woman is entitled to her privacy and probably feels humiliated enough but the article also said she was staying in a womans shelter. There can't be that many womens shelters there. Perhaps we could contact the shelter and set up a bank account for contributions to help her and her daughter. Also contact the newpaper that published the story, see if they would publish a storyabout us trying to help and inform the local citizens we are trying to help. Perhaps that way she would have enough money to get her by until she can get on her feet. Count me in. We are good at talking about it lets see if we can actually get to action. Taz you have experience with the media, Bruce you are geographically close. Lets do it!

We should try to help.  Granted the woman is entitled to her privacy and probably feels humiliated enough but the article also said she was staying in a womans shelter. There can't be that many womens shelters there.  Perhaps we could contact the shelter and set up a bank account for contributions to help her and her daughter.  Also contact the newpaper that published the story, see if they would publish a storyabout us trying to help and inform the local citizens we are trying to help.  Perhaps that way she would have enough money to get her by until she can get on her feet. Count me in.  We are good at talking about it lets see if we can actually get to action.  Taz you have experience with the media, Bruce you are geographically close.  Lets do it!

If you guys find a way to help let me know, I and my wife would like to help too, pm me if you find anything out.

well, I guess the two things they would need would be cash and support. I could email a letter to the chief of the Danville Police Dept. telling him who we are (and giving him a link to the site) and asking if he has suggestions as to how we could help and/or facilitating us in sending some contributions to her.

Again I wish Ying was here, as it would be nice to give them a number she could call, if she wished, and speak to another Chinese woman. Is there any Chinese lao paos or lao gongs out there who would care to help in that regard?

Here's what I would propose to send. (Any suggestions for changes additions?)

I'm also willing to send a check for $100.

Chief Wade A. Parsons,

I am writing in regard to the apalling story that was broadcast on WMUR concerning Harold Baird and the woman and child he brought here from China.

I have a special interest in this story because I spent most of the past two years living and working in China, and am currently engaged to a Chinese woman who is still there awaiting a visa, which, because of the heightened security situation, takes most of a year to complete. Ironically, one of the reasons for the long delay is that the prospective immigrant must obtain evidence from the police in any city where she has lived that she has no criminal convictions

I am a member of a group called 'Candle for Love' (the web site is at www.candlefor love.com ) which provides information and support for American and a Chinese citizens who are, or plan to be married, and are involved in the immigration process, and in the process of adapting to life in the US.

Needless to say, we are very upset that this type of situation could happen, and that people who have criminal records for sexual assault against minors are not screened out during the visa process, or, at the very least, his intended wife informed about the convictions.

But whatever the reasons for what happened we all realize what a difficult position she is now in with regard to her legal status here, with regard to suppport and with regard to having women from her own country to talk with.

A number of the members have expressed a willingness to contribute to a fund for their assistance. Not knowing how to implement such a thing, we are asking for any suggestions as to how we can do this. Others would like to assist her, if she wishes, to apply for a Residence Permit separate from Mr. Baird, or to provide emotional support or other types of help.

We understand that they are entitled to privacy and we are not asking for any information concerning them. We were hoping that you help us, or possibly give us the contact information for someone who could help us to provide assistance to them.

Thank you,

Bruce D. Simpson

POB 296

Dublin NH 03444

What do you think?

I'm very heartened by the response. I will email the letter to the chief, telling him that several hundred dollars have been pledged already, and we just need somewhere to send it. Hopefully a church or woman's shelter or bank or someone can get involved and work with us.

I will include my phone number in the letter, but would like to be able to include the phone number for a Zhongguo nuren (someone's lao po?) whom she could contact, (in Chinese) if she needed any other type of help. Then that person can let the restof us know here. You could email the number to me and I won't post it; I'll just ask the chief if he would pass it along to her.

Anyone?

If I don't get a response by 5:30 (eastern time) i'll send it the way it is.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Thanks Tony and Quan, that's great, as you are sort of in the area (Danville is close to Portsmouth, NH).

I havent gotten your email yet. Did you send it to Ying's address? Try simpsonchina@msn.com

As soon as I get it I'll send the revised letter out to the Danville Police Chief. I'm hoping he can help me; he seemed like a kindly guy when they interviewed him on the news story.

I'll let you all know what he says. If he can't help, I'll try the TV station or start looking elsewhere. I'll also check the newspapers; it's possible someone else is thinking the same as we are, and something is already in place...

________as revised _________________________

Chief Wade A. Parsons,

I am writing in regard to the appalling story that was broadcast on WMUR concerning Harold Baird and the woman and child he brought here from China.

I have a special interest in this story because I spent most of the past two years living and working in China, and am currently engaged to a Chinese woman who is still there awaiting a visa, which, because of the heightened security situation, takes most of a year to complete. Ironically, one of the reasons for the long delay is that the prospective immigrant must obtain evidence from the police in any city where she has lived that she has no criminal convictions

I am a member of a group called 'Candle for Love' (the web site is at www.candleforlove.com ) which provides information and support for American and a Chinese citizens who are, or plan to be married, and are involved in the immigration process, and in the process of adapting to life together in the US.

Needless to say, we are very upset that this type of situation could happen, and that people who have criminal records for sexual assault against minors are not screened out during the visa process, or, at the very least, his intended wife informed about the convictions.

But whatever the reasons for what happened we all realize what a difficult position she is now in with regard to her legal status here, with regard to support and with regard to having women from her own country to talk with.

A number of the members have expressed a willingness to contribute to a fund for their assistance; several hundred dollars have been pledged already. Not knowing how to implement such a thing, we are asking for any suggestions as to how we can do this. Possibly a charity, a church or women’s shelter could help us get donations to her. Others would like to assist her, if she wishes, to apply for a Residence Permit separate from Mr. Baird, or to provide emotional support or other types of help.

We understand that they are entitled to privacy and we are not asking for any information concerning them. We were hoping that you help us, or possibly give us the contact information for someone who could help us to provide assistance to them. Also, if she wishes to talk to a Chinese woman who is a member of our group, please tell her she is welcome to call Quan at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Thank you for your assistance, and please contact me if you have any information for us or if you have any questions.

Bruce D. Simpson

Dublin NH 03444

Tel. xxx-xxx-xxxx