If my wife is a "mail order bride", then?

Mengxin

Then does that make me a "shop at home husband." biggrin.gif

Nice term for the "Neaderthals" that wrote the report.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/aboutus/repsstud...ies/Mobappa.htm

Here's what I got out of appendix A of this report...
The people that wrote this report were against marraiges of Americans with Asian women.

Then when it came time to back up statements with hard evidence, how many fruadulant marraiges of Chinese women married to American men did they find?

Out of 96,033 cases in 1994 they found 0 fraudulant cases of marriage with Chinese women?

At least the way I read it...

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I get from this load of crap is that whoever wrote it lumps everyone who marries a foreign national into the dreaded "mail-order bride" category, which is not even close to being correct. This person, in my humble opinion, is against all such marriages and is probably a racist. It sickens me to think that this jackass is talking about me when he says that "The true character of the men is well expressed in Glodava and Onizuka (1994:26), who note, 'those who have used the mail-order bride route to find a mate have control in mind rather than a loving and enduring relationship'." I find it unnervering that someone with a PhD would resort to quoting a blatant stereotype. And I would really like to speak to whoever thought this deserved to be on the USCIS website. Notice though, that they did put a little caveat at the top: "The analyses and conclusions presented do not necessarily represent the official position or policy of the Immigration and Naturalization Service."

Well, Yeah ~ I don't know which --- laugh or cry??

Lets look at this report by Scholes/Phataralaoha for a good laugh, but utimitely, since it was done at tax payers expense, and since it appears on the USCIS website (and therefore has "offical" stamped all over it) --- I'm more inclined to cry.......

Ok, here goes:

The report starts by citing a number of known facts about the people involved in the "Mail Order Bride" search --- both the men and the women....

Scholes/Phataralaoha rely heavily on a study by Glodava/Onizuka (1994) for much of that information. In order to "flesh out" exactly what kind of men do this sort of thing, Glodava/Onizuka cite the work of David Jedlicka (1988) --- having surveyed 206 men who were involved in the process, he formed this factual profile: They are generally older white, Christian, "highly educated" ideologically conservative, "economically and professionally successful"...

...... Now, I don't know about you, but to me, this profile doesn't exactly scream out: "WIFE BEATER!"

I would think there might be some studies that Scholes/Phataralaoha might be able to produce to either confirm or deny this ---- but instead, they rely on Jedlicka's own personal opinion: That he ---and other people he knows --- believe that the men are all about control .... that they aren't REALLY interested in a meaningful marriage...

And what is most appaling is that Scholes/Phataralaoha then take that statement (sans ANY facts to support it)---- and run with it for the rest of their report!!!

Towards the end, they quote Mila Glodava (of Glodava/Onizuka 1994): "those who have used the mail-order bride route to find a mate have control in mind rather than a loving and enduring relationship...."

Too bad, Because earlier in the report Scholes/Phataralaoha concluded from the facts available to them that the divorce rates are far lower than the nation as a whole: "fully 80 percent of these marriages having lasted over the years for which reports are available" ---- in total --- 180 DEGREE conflict with the conclusion presented by Glodava!!

THIS IS A SHAMEFULL PIECE OF SH --- I MEAN, "SCHOLARSHIP"! Scholes/Phataralaoha should be ashamed----

------ and USCIS SHOULD BE PARTICULARLY ASHAMED TO HAVE IT ON THEIR WEBSITE!!!!

(Remember folks!! We PAY these people good money to process our papers!!!! --- while this kind of HS ----ON THEIR OWN WEBSITE reveals their true bias towards us!!!)

Personally, I would support a Candle campain to have this report removed from the USCIS website..

I'm right behind you, Kim. I thought this was total crap. This article is completely biased, prejudicial and poorly researched. The "Disclaimer" at the top does nothing to soften this, as the fact they put it on their website is enough to suggest that it supports the "official opinion".

I'm not going to be suprised if we see K visas be completely revamped to be nearly impossible in the coming decade.

Personally, I would support a Candle campain to have this report removed from the USCIS website..

I agree with this 1000%. The USCIS has NO RIGHT to spend our money for half assed yellow journalism like this!!

Their data is all based on second hand reports that are 10 years old.

The majority of it is "observations and opinions".

I've got a few opinions of my own as to what they can do with this horse shit.

At the very least we should demand a comparison of the overall divorce rate in the US with the divorce rate of women who have come here on a fiancee visa. Then after they have seen the much higher success rate of the fiancee visa marriage, we can demand a new article whose "observations and opinions" reflect the benefits of the fiancee visa. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Perhaps one of the members with more writing aptitude would draft a letter. It might be a good idea to avoid signing it until your loved one is actually here.

:angry: :angry: :angry: Now THERE'S a smart man!!

You could sign it Mr. X with a disclaimer: only the name has been changed to protect the innocent.

geeee, I can hear the music theme for Dragnet now!!

Imho, I don't think its such big deal, its just stats. I did not find offence with it. I will say this though. They should have provided numbers if the abuse rate is higher in mixed marriages, personally I would not be surprised if its true. I'm sure that some people marry Asian with the 'more submissive' idea.

Its a very general survey that only looks at two main categories for Americans married to foreigners for over a short time span. So its no big deal.

The article is a bit 'interesting'....

It looks like the reason it was put on the USCIS web page is that the research was funded by INS.

There are two points a few paragraphs apart that, to me, are nothing short of comedic:

"marriages arranged through these services would appear to have a lower divorce rate than the nation as a whole"

followed a few paragraphs later with:

"While no national figures exist on abuse of alien wives, there is every reason to believe that the incidence is higher in this population than for the nation as a whole"

I suppose there are more contradictions or at least contradictory impressions (?) in the article. I don't have the energy to spare to read the rest of the article. Most of the data is 10 years old, and I don't make important decisions like who I'm going to marry by consulting statistics interpreted by some know-nothing grad student and her professor.

Does the article give 'foreign wives' a bum rap? Perhaps, but don't take it personally.

Lead with your heart and keep it open to the one you love. Screw the statistics and do what you know is right.