If my wife is a "mail order bride", then?

Mengxin

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DragonFlower

HMMMM

CLR

"I don't consider you scumbags for finding your loved ones on the net. How do you draw that conclusion? "

CLR

"Is it so bad to question the motives of those with histories of domestic violence, men who have had multiple foreign brides, or those with mental illness or drug and alcohol problems? Are the study's accusations just a little too close for comfort?

I met her while I was working in Beijing for two years, but by chance and not by intentionally looking for a wife on the internet. Before that, I really wasn't interested in getting married and had no preference for Asian women. I really can't imagine looking for love on the web, so maybe that is the difference.

However, a few of you sound just like the types who should be weeded out in the visa process. I feel for the poor Chinese women who have no idea what they're getting into. I hope your anger isn't an indication of control issues."

There are a large cross section of Chinese and American people from all walks of life that frequent this BB.

Sometimes when the frustration of the inequity of the governments handling of the total immigration picture gets to be too much,we need a place to mouth off.

It is shame you mistake this venting as flaws in character.

Anger ,yes.

But not directed at our loved ones.

Oregonknl,

Yes you did use quotes and logic pretty well, but I'm still unconvinced. You condemn the reports cited, but offer up none of your own. The 80% rate of successful marriages is interesting, but hardly conclusive given it comes from the same report you're complaining about. I'm not sure it's fair to pick and choose the arguments you like and dismiss the rest. Can you build a case based on other research? The reports themselves acknowledge their own weaknesses, but unless you offer up something better I'm inclined to go with what has already been written.

And what about my points? I think you can find the numbers in one of the other reports, but the OP sloppily refers to the wrong one in the first post. And you complain about the government? Where else has he done it?

And racism? Just because the OP found out for the first time that racism has historically been a part of the US immigration policy doesn't mean it exists today to a similar degree. I want evidence, not speculation. I can speculate too, but I'll try not to waste your time with it.

If you can't convince somebody like me who is at least somewhat sympathetic with your position, how are you going to get the government to do anything? Ranting on a website seems to be really useless behavior. Unless it's just to make you feel better, which is OK by me. Just don't mislead yourself that many outside of this forum will agree with you.

That's a little harsher than I intended, but I really do worry about you guys sometimes.

Guest DragonFlower

By definition:

bigot

n : a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own

Source: WordNet ?2.0, ?2003 Princeton University

Wow,you do seem to have a problem.

I hope you can be helped.

You must have read a lot of posts.

And searched a lot of records.

To find the facts for your slanderous remarks about people you do not even know.

My apologies. I really just wanted to inject an outsiders point of view. Now I've descended into name-calling and have upset the usual genial atmosphere. My presence seems to only add negativity, so I'll leave now.

I'm leaving to visit my fiancee and really need to get ready anyway. Good luck. I do believe most of you have pure motives.

Yes, CLR. If you are calling some of us scumbags... I would like to know if I am on your list, and if so what brings you to that conclusion. I'd be happy to debate THAT point. I would hate to think someone is feeling sorry for my "poor" fiancee without need.

As for my comments on the article.... I only commented on how it was flawed. I don't have to answer counterpoints. I'm not out to say it's conclusions are right or wrong (as I have done NO research on this subject) of course I FEEL that they are wrong, but that's just my opinion. The point is, that the article is poorly done, and uses a lot of opinions which contradict some of the same statistics used in the article itself. I don't have to know if the conclusion is valid or invalid to see that.

It's fine to disagree, try to play devil's advocate, etc. But what you need to realize is insults and an air of intellectual superiority do not create the atmosphere for healthy debate. They make people angry with you, the emotional overrides the intellectual, and you will only get comebacks and counter attacks, not healthy discussion. In other words, play nice, or no one will want to play with you.

But many of us (myself included) have done something that pissed off a few other members, and maybe not behaved well. All is forgiven, no hard feelings. Please post on your story, timeline, whatever you like. You aren't unwelcome.

It seems to me that CLR is the only one who disagrees with your ideas Kim. Yet he asks you for evidence. My training has always led me to believe that the one who deviates from the norm is the one who should report supporting evidence on his behalf. NOT those who hold shared reality. All others have seen the wisdom in Kim's analysis of the report. If CFL believes us all to be wrong---let him offer more than his misplaced opinions as to why.

CLR, if it is your intention to belittle those of us who met on the Internet, and if it is you mission to prove the CFL masses wrong, then it is YOUR responsibility to give, not ask for, supporting evidence.

SCUMBAG????? Is that a term of endearment??