If my wife is a "mail order bride", then?

Mengxin

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO TAZ ~!!!  

If the foreign women are correct:   That their native male counter parts:  "are cruel and run around with other women"  Then why is the conclusion of this report that USCIS, and the Congress of The United States Of America should consider restrictions on AMERICAN MEN seeking love over seas????  

Doesn't the response of the WOMEN more logically indicate that FOREIGN men should be screened more carefully before being admited to the US ????

Are you taking issue with something I have said, Kim?

I think you have read way too much into this *article.* I don't think that the conclusion is to limit the ability of American men to bring overseas spouses to the US. I think the conclusion is that they have to use a high degree of discression in granting visas to every marriage based visa app. thus creating a lot of bureacracy around the visa process that weighs and bogs it down.

I think the concern is Abuse.

The existing problems that appear to require some attention involve abuse. On the one hand, the potential husbands might need to be screened. As Sumiko Hennessy, executive director of the Asian Pacific Development Center (anon., 1996), notes, "What you have are older men, people with three divorces, alcohol problems . . .," some of whom have a history of "domestic abuse or problems with the law." To this end, I would strongly recommend that Uma Narayan (Narayan, 1995) be consulted before any new legislation focused on abuse and/or fraud is considered.

At the very least, alien spouses should be informed of their rights and be given names, addresses, and telephone numbers of agencies they may consult if they face difficulties in the marriage, agencies such as: Legal Aid for Abused Women and Children (703) 820-8393; AYUDA (202) 387-4848; National Coalition Against Trafficking in Women (814) 685-1447; NOW (707) 255-2516; and the Asian Pacific Development Center (303) 220-3398.

I think the *article* is lame and I don't blame anyone for criticizing its fallacies and inconsistencies.

I also don't that the article is referring to all overseas relationships as "mail order brides"...It clearly makes a distinction between the "mail order bride" industry and the pen pal or friend finder industry.

Did you order a catalogue and pick out your wife?

No?

Then they aren't talking about you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there is a such thing as the "Mail order Bride Industry" and the article did an okay job of definig that industry:

the so-called "mail-order bride" industry (representatives of the industry prefer the term "international correspondence service"), women's names, photos, biographical sketches, and addresses are presented in hard copy brochures or on the Internet. In these services, the agency provides the photos and descriptions of the women, who are not charged for this listing. Men who wish to obtain the mailing address of any of the women they would like to contact are charged a fee of from $2 to $5 for each of the mailing addresses.

Not the way I percieve it although I admit one could read that as a disclaimer Taz. The Author titled the article The Mail Order Bride Industry then goes on to describe the two most common ways of getting one. Clearly labeling both as "the industry" To me going to a website and paying for a list of names and addresses is very different than a match.com type of site. Match.com type sites for foreign women are not much different than the way many American women find potential mates yet the author lumps them into one big catagory. "the industry" I don't see the distinction as clearly as you. Even playing the devil's advocate and saying you are right does not excuse titling the article this way. It still implies that women are property to be bought and sold.

THE "MAIL-ORDER BRIDE" INDUSTRY

AND ITS IMPACT ON U.S. IMMIGRATION

Robert J. Scholes, PhD with the assistance of Anchalee Phataralaoha, MA

This research was funded under purchase order COW-8-P-0233 from the Immigration and Naturalization Service. The analyses and conclusions presented do not necessarily represent the official position or policy of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

The Industry

An American man seeking a foreign bride may avail himself of over 200 different services in which foreign women advertise for husbands. There are two types of such services. In one type, the so-called "mail-order bride" industry (representatives of the industry prefer the term "international correspondence service"), women's names, photos, biographical sketches, and addresses are presented in hard copy brochures or on the Internet. In these services, the agency provides the photos and descriptions of the women, who are not charged for this listing. Men who wish to obtain the mailing address of any of the women they would like to contact are charged a fee of from $2 to $5 for each of the mailing addresses.

The other way to contact potential spouses is through e-mail "pen-pal" clubs. These services are generally free of charge. In them, men and women provide biographical data, an e-mail address, and an indication of what type of relationship they seek. Some of the larger, more established of these pen-pal clubs are One-And-Only.com, Friendfinder.com, Match.com, Kiss.com, and Date.com. In these clubs, one can find nearly 10,000 foreign women seeking marriage or long-term relationships. Since these services require access to computers, the women tend to be older and better educated than those listed in the "mail-order bride" catalogs and to reside in more developed countries such as Japan and Russia.

Guest hakkamike

Results are about 1,190,000 for mail order bride on Yahoo search and 1,580,000 on Google, Damn thats alot.... That still does not give them right to use that term in the subject title(some of u people need to get a life). I would bet that there are a few on this board that typed this in when they started looking for their fiancee or wife(DONT LIE TO ME) lol lol

Later, Michael Perez

Carl, I was just going to say the same thing you just did. You and I are totally on the same page reguarding this issue. The article doesn't come out and list our names individually, but it does "imply" All Asian-American couples.

I wasn't sure exactily how I could help you find what you were looking for but I narrowed the search down to two items.

#1. The Red Ryder BB gun . I think the "BB" is for Big Boobs, right?

or

#2. A Red Rider Leg Lamp. (220V not required)

http://www.redriderleglamps.com/images/litmediumleft.jpg

Not the way I percieve it although I admit one could read that as a disclaimer Taz. The Author titled the article The Mail Order Bride Industry then goes on to describe the two most common ways of getting one. Clearly labeling both as "the industry" To me going to a website and paying for a list of names and addresses is very different than a match.com type of site.  Match.com type sites for foreign women are not much different than the way many American women find potential mates yet the author lumps them into one big catagory.  "the industry" I don't see the distinction as clearly as you. Even playing the devil's advocate and saying you are right does not excuse titling the article this way.  It still implies that women are property to be bought and sold.

Hey, Carl...I agree with you all that THE TITLE STINKS.

The reason I believe that there is clear distinction between the "mail Order Bride Industry" and the Online Dating Industry in this article is because he

first defines the MOB industry and then he goes on to describe what just about everyone would recognize as the Online Dating Industry. He compares them in that they are TWO common ways to find a spouse.

To me this report ...

is lame. poor writing. poor research. and a sad attempt at propaganda.

Therefore, it doesn't bug me to see it on USCIS...because it is TYPICAL!

ciao,

Taz

HUSBAND!!!

What is in this crate labled-CHINAUTOM 2000  ????

I thought it was the Chinatron DD-2000.

Gee Wally, I didn't know they made a DD 2000. Now that I know that, my CC 2000 doesn't seem so swell !! :(

And the correct quote was:

"Ward, I think you were a little hard on the beaver last night"

And 3, we should all find women the American way: Go to a pick up bar a few hours before closing, keep an eye on which of the nicer looking girls are drinking the most, then 10 minutes after last call, offer to take the pick of the litter home.

That's the American way to get a girl.

Oh wait, we were talking about finding a wife. NEVER MIND!!!!

:unsure: :lol: :P

HUSBAND!!!

Gee Wally, I didn't know they made a DD 2000. Now that I know that, my CC 2000 doesn't seem so swell !! :(

And 3, we should all find women the American way: Go to a pick up bar a few hours before closing, keep an eye on which of the nicer looking girls are drinking the most, then 10 minutes after last call, offer to take the pick of the litter home.

:blink: :blink: :P

The name of person they are talking about is spelled June, not Jun.....(uh hmm ...Trigg :blink: :P )

HUSBAND!!!

:blink: :blink: :P

The name of person they are talking about is spelled June, not Jun.....(uh hmm ...Trigg :blink: :P )

It hes alreedy bin stablished that meye spilling iz knot reel gude. It hes allsew bin stablshed that intiligins and spilling our in know wey reelatid.

thanck yoo viry much

trig

Gee Wally, I didn't know they made a DD 2000. Now that I know that, my CC 2000 doesn't seem so swell !! :lol:

Don't sweat it Steve. The CC-2000 is a pretty good model. Not as top heavy as the DD-2000 thus not as prone to backaches. This makes the housework control last longer.

Gee Wally, I didn't know they made a DD 2000. Now that I know that, my CC 2000 doesn't seem so swell !! :lol:

Don't sweat it Steve. The CC-2000 is a pretty good model. Not as top heavy as the DD-2000 thus not as prone to backaches. This makes the housework control last longer.

ahhh. I have found info somewheres if I can find it that you can do an after market fix to the CC 2000 to make it kind of a D 2000 in the top end dept.

There are some draw backs.. usually takes about 9 months to complete but you do see results in 7 to 8. It comes with another mouth to feed and strange crying noises in the middle of the night. They tend to be leaking for a few months after.

One other thing.. they are nice to look at and now and than you might even be able to get your hands on them, but like the guy next door with the fancy sports car.. you seldom get a chance to ride in it and after a few more months of admiring them from afar and sometimes close up.. he up and moves away.. sigh :D

P.S. you are left with an extra mouth to feed and fond memories of a time when you actually had a sex life.

Well no one ever said progress and improvement would be easy.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth