If my wife is a "mail order bride", then?

Mengxin

Personally (and this just my opinion so take it or leave it) I think the stage is slowly being set for a future with no K-1 visa, or with a K-1 with a ton of restrictions, more processing on the USC and foreign fiancee, and a much longer sanctioned waiting time.

I think you are right. I am no fact junkie...so don't ever bother to look for numbers or fancy supporting links and shit in my posts. But, if you have read any of the dozens of "immigration reform" bills that have been thrown out there...then you know that most of them seem to focus on limiting (or in some cases...like the Tomcredo, or something like that dude...totally suspending all immigration for an unspecified term) legal immigration into to USA. But, very few of them actually do anything about the real problem of people walking over the border.

Unfortunately, it is true that if you find a love from another country...no matter how you do it...most people will call it "mail-order-bride". More so if you did it over the interbet. I sucks. I have had to correct one or two friends about this...even when they say it as a joke. It is a BS stereotype that needs to be done away with. I don't like what this report had to say...maybe if they showed both sides of the story...I would not feel it was so slanderous against the whole K process. But...it only focuses on the BAD side and generalizes it like we are all that way.

We all misspell words. Most of us have a real life with real jobs that take up MOST of our day (not to mention wives...if they are here...or the hours spent on webcam with our SOs...if they are not here). So, to spend lots of time typing and proof-reading what we just typed on some internet board...just takes too much time. Call me lazy...lol. But I have better things to do than worry if I spelled some stoopid word correctly or if I properly done writ that sentance thar. B)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it Dennis the Menace or is it my friendly neighborhood UCSIS man or is it the IRS man or possibly just a rectal exam prelude?????

Give that man a doughnut! or the eclare of his choice.

yes it is that rascal Dennis the Menace... the other part I'm not so sure of.. but my guess was ....it was portrait day at the INS.. hmm

ok how about this one???

B) click to listen

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

Wally  "gee wally, I didn't mean to make mom pregant, Gosh, I'll bet dad will be mad"

The worst thing ever said on the leave it to beaver show was when June said to Ward,,,, "wern't you a little hard on the beaver last night?".................. :P B)

I can't believe you said that. And i can't believe Jun had it in her---to say such a thing

Sorry about the bad joke. It's just reading all this about the show conjured up some old memories like Ken Osmand who played Eddie Haskell. A rumour was started one time about acid-rocker Alice Cooper being Eddie Haskell. I remember reading about Alice Cooper wearing a T-shirt at one of his concerts that had printed on it, "I'm not Eddie Haskell."

In fact, several years ago, I saw Ken Osmand on an 'Emergency 911' episode. He had become a L.A. cop.

Sorry about the bad joke.

What? He never said that? You got me. B)

We're getting a little off topic here, so I'll try to bring it back. I'd be interested in seeing some real statistics, not the tainted opinion of some governmental CYA type.

But, it seems to me that we may be discussing degrees here. Does anyone suggest that there are no abuses resulting from the internet? Does anyone suggest that it's all milk and honey? Doubtful on both counts. What bothers me the most about the article is that it now has the aura of a governmental stamp of approval on it and will be cited by others, and heaven forbid, even by congressional types whose agenda could be aided by these governmental "facts".

There has always been an institutionalized prejudice in the American government against China and the Chinese people.

I found this on the web:

>

The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 was the first significant law restricting immigration into the United States. Those on the West Coast were especially prone to attribute declining wages and economic ills on the despised Chinese workers. Although the Chinese composed only .002 percent of the nation's population, Congress passed the exclusion act to placate worker demands and assuage prevalent concerns about maintaining white "racial purity."

The statute of 1882 suspended Chinese immigration for ten years and declared the Chinese as ineligible for naturalization. Chinese workers already in the country challenged the constitutionality of the discriminatory acts, but their efforts failed. The act was renewed in 1892 for another ten years, and in 1902 Chinese immigration was made permanently illegal. The legislation proved very effective, and the Chinese population in the United States sharply declined.

American experience with Chinese exclusion spurred later movements for immigration restriction against other "undesirable" groups such as Middle Easterners, Hindu and East Indians, and the Japanese. The Chinese themselves remained ineligible for citizenship until 1943.

>

Look at what happened when Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931 . . . nothing. Every day the US Govt makes a statement by its inaction and delays in Guangzhou of what is its attitude toward Chinese people. It is just surprising that they would be open enough about the prejudice to even have such biased content posted on the CIS site.

Wally  "gee wally, I didn't mean to make mom pregant, Gosh, I'll bet dad will be mad"

The worst thing ever said on the leave it to beaver show was when June said to Ward,,,, "wern't you a little hard on the beaver last night?".................. :P :lol:

I can't believe you said that. And i can't believe Jun had it in her---to say such a thing

Well of course June had it in her.. well at least twice.

How else would you explain the boys?

But she didn't like it , didn't look at it and it was only for pro..creation.

Now what about that lumpy guy? Was he really that dumb. And was the naming of the Beav's friend Whitey some form of racisim... hmmm

Now on a serious note.. having not read the article in question I feel confident in commenting on it..;)

I think I'm with Frank and others who are questioning what the motives for such an article are. It certainly is devicive and reflects the current admins usual ploy to get what they want.

But Trigg let us know what real info your get from the friend you mentioned. It's one thing to debate methodalogy and the finer points of a study.. this is the rigor all studies must stand up to but it is way out of the ball park to slap together some propagranda and as you say Frank imply it has government approval.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth... shes' an official American and we now have the paper work to prove it!! :) :D

Wow, what a powder keg this is! Thanks for the post Mengxin.

I haven't had time to read all the responses yet, but in case no one has already pointed this out, here's a very interesting quote from this "finding" found under the Impact on U.S. Marriages

It is interesting to note that, based largely on data provided by the agencies themselves (along with the Commission on Filipinos Overseas report cited above), marriages arranged through these services would appear to have a lower divorce rate than the nation as a whole, fully 80 percent of these marriages having lasted over the years for which reports are available.

So my take on this is ... as much as this guy wants to discredit the practice of American men marrying foreign women, even his own findings indicate a substantially lower divorce rate among American men and foreign brides! 80% of such marriages endure through the years, compared to the "average" of 50% for American/American marriages, this guy said it himself!!

I don't want to try to get this "finding" off of the INS website, it's a factual and statistical testament to the success of such marriages!

I'm afraid this will make you guys mad.  I really don't think the study was that bad.  Although it was speculative in some places, particularly about the potential for abusive American spouses, for the most part it had a reasoned and neutral tone.

Are you guys so sure the speculation was actually that far off?  I've certainly read a number of newspaper stories, at least one of which was referenced in the study, where a controlling American spouse killed his foreign spouse.  Of course, this is only antecdotal backup, but at least it's food for thought.  

I didn't get the feeling the report considered itself to be the final word on the subject of foreign spouses, just a review of the best information available at the time of writing.  Sure, one can always pick out weaknesses in any study, but you guys don't offer much of rebuttal, just outrage and unsubstantiated countercharges that make the study look all the more reasonable in comparison.  I hope any response sent to the government is more measured than what I've read so far.

So why are you guys so mad?  I tried to figure that out before responding, but I'm still puzzled.  The report ended by recommending possible closer examination of the American petitioner in the future.  Is it so bad to question the motives of those with histories of domestic violence, men who have had multiple foreign brides,  or those with mental illness or drug and alcohol problems?  Are the study's accusations just a little too close for comfort?  

I don't know why I'm not offended.  I'm like the rest of you in most ways--waiting for my Chinese fiancee to be granted a visa.  I met her while I was working in Beijing for two years, but by chance and not by intentionally looking for a wife on the internet.   Before that, I really wasn't interested in getting married and had no preference for Asian women.  I really can't imagine looking for love on the web, so maybe that is the difference.

Let me apologize in advance for my comments.  Most of the people on the forum seem to be kind, helpful people.   However, a few of you sound just like the types who should be weeded out in the visa process.  I feel for the poor Chinese women who have no idea what they're getting into.  I hope your anger isn't an indication of control issues.

Forums like this are a great place to exchange information and provide emotional support for people who would otherwise be unlikely to find those in similar circumstances.   But occasionally your home on the net can get too insular from a lack of differing opinions.  I really think you guys should pause before getting too carried away with your righteous indignation.

CL

I agree with you, everyone is upset over a whole lot of nothing. The term 'mail order' doesn't even apply to most of us and the makes they distinction between mail order and meeting through other channels.

I liked the 80% success rate, better than the standard 50% rate. The odds are in our favor

:lol: :) :D

The Chinese gov extradited someone back to Pakistan and the e-mail was stating that there could be a terrorist group retaliation because of the extradition.

Heh. Oh me oh my. Osama B and the Al Q are going to fling poo at the folks who'd like to invade Taiwan... just because?

They would do well to remember that China has a surplus of young males. :lol:

Unfortunately, there is no way to know if the e-mail was based on any f fact or not. My wife stayed home from work on the day they said a subway attack might be staged. I don't think anything happed though.