Adjusting status after death of spouse

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno Robert. She lives in Crystal Lake Il. about 50 miles from Chicago. I am sure if offered she would jump at the chance. Her English is some what limited. Maybe not adequate for high levels of customer service. If anyone in the area knows of any better jobs I am very sure she would be grateful.

No his family isn't helping at all. He has one no count brother and his parents are dead. He had custody of two boys from a previous marriage and Jimei was caring for them for a few months until his ex finally came and got them.

Dunno Robert.  She lives in  Crystal Lake Il. about 50 miles from Chicago.  I am sure if offered she would jump at the chance. Her English is some what limited.  Maybe not adequate for high levels of customer service. If anyone in the area knows of any better jobs I am very sure she would be grateful.

No matter how small it is there have got to be Chinese restaurants there. She could go to them all one by one and talk to the people. They have a lot of personnel turnover. Very little English is required and what little she needs they would teach her. If they don't need a waitress maybe she can put out food on the buffet, or box up food for the drive-thru. It is great the way Chinese people stick together and I believe they would want to help her.

Im not so sure about that Robert. Here in Portland they tend to want to take advantage of newcomers even if they have legal status and work authorization. One friend of mines wife who has a green card was offered a job under the table for 4 dollars an hour at one restaurant washing dishes. At another they offered her 1100 a month flat rate but wanted her to work 10 hours a day six days a week. The waitress positions are coveted by the senior employees because of the tips which they often have to share with the boss.

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case.  Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

She may end up having to do just that if she can't get her status adjusted. As for why she doesn't go back to China? I don't really know for sure. Many Chinese people come here and want to stay. She came here legally with good intentions. It is not her fault her husband died and left her in such a difficult position. If she wants to stay here and make a better life for herself and her daughter that is good enough for me. At least she didn't sneak across the border and ask for amnesty.

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case.  Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

She may end up having to do just that if she can't get her status adjusted. As for why she doesn't go back to China? I don't really know for sure. Many Chinese people come here and want to stay. She came here legally with good intentions. It is not her fault her husband died and left her in such a difficult position. If she wants to stay here and make a better life for herself and her daughter that is good enough for me. At least she didn't sneak across the border and ask for amnesty.

I agree 100% - didn't meant to imply she should leave. She's obviously in a very difficult position and was just curious if she felt somehow that she HAD to stay in the U.S. (rather than having the option do do so).