Adjusting status after death of spouse

If the lady was married for at least two years she could self petition based on that marriage.

Her situation may best be in the hands of an immigration lawyer, not some lawyer who doesn't practice it.

Several years ago I met a lawyer from Chicago here in Guangzhou who was doing immigration law. He was married to a Chinese lady. He said he represented some Chinese restaurant owners in the area and was at the time looking for Chinese cooks.

His name is Jonathan Lustig at 312-567-9198. If someone contacts him about the Jimei, say I referred her to him to help at a "low cost", if possible. Use my real name, if contact is made. ;)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case.  Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

She may end up having to do just that if she can't get her status adjusted. As for why she doesn't go back to China? I don't really know for sure. Many Chinese people come here and want to stay. She came here legally with good intentions. It is not her fault her husband died and left her in such a difficult position. If she wants to stay here and make a better life for herself and her daughter that is good enough for me. At least she didn't sneak across the border and ask for amnesty.

Nobody cares her intention to be in USA, her action will prove it automatically. I do not find any difficulties for her to be back to China due to her hubby’s death, not abused or ended by divorce. It is only going to be good for her as that is her country and she can make living legally there. Reverse it will be hard for her to struggle and working under table and suffering here. As her situation, I strongly suggest her to be back to China better than suffering here. The longer she stays here, the harder for her to be back.

I could not donate any single penny to her as I do not know if this action will help her or ruin her.

I do not agree that USA is the ONLY place for Chinese to make a better life. Yeah, she did not across the border and asks for amnesty, but those people at least legally ask for something? But what is she doing? Working under table is illegally, is not it?

I have one curiosity, if somebody’s spouse died, one part will stragulling at least 1 or 2 years, how can she has power to worry about her status here in usa now? If it is happened to me, I would find somewhere else to heal my heart, not staying at the place where the dead spouse is, do not you agree?

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case.  Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

She may end up having to do just that if she can't get her status adjusted. As for why she doesn't go back to China? I don't really know for sure. Many Chinese people come here and want to stay. She came here legally with good intentions. It is not her fault her husband died and left her in such a difficult position. If she wants to stay here and make a better life for herself and her daughter that is good enough for me. At least she didn't sneak across the border and ask for amnesty.

Nobody cares her intention to be in USA, her action will prove it automatically. I do not find any difficulties for her to be back to China due to her hubby’s death, not abused or ended by divorce. It is only going to be good for her as that is her country and she can make living legally there. Reverse it will be hard for her to struggle and working under table and suffering here. As her situation, I strongly suggest her to be back to China better than suffering here. The longer she stays here, the harder for her to be back.

I could not donate any single penny to her as I do not know if this action will help her or ruin her.

I do not agree that USA is the ONLY place for Chinese to make a better life. Yeah, she did not across the border and asks for amnesty, but those people at least legally ask for something? But what is she doing? Working under table is illegally, is not it?

I have one curiosity, if somebody’s spouse died, one part will stragulling at least 1 or 2 years, how can she has power to worry about her status here in usa now? If it is happened to me, I would find somewhere else to heal my heart, not staying at the place where the dead spouse is, do not you agree?

"Nobody cares her intention to be in US." I do. If she wants to stay here. If she thinks she can make a better life here for her family then I say great and I sent in my money to help. I know Chinese people in China in very good positions who would prefer being in the US. Considering the circumstances I think she deserves our help. It's her life and her call. Let's help her if she wants to try to stay.

"Nobody cares her intention to be in US." I do. If she wants to stay here. If she thinks she can make a better life here for her family then I say great and I sent in my money to help. I know Chinese people in China in very good positions who would prefer being in the US. Considering the circumstances I think she deserves our help. It's her life and her call. Let's help her if she wants to try to stay.

Go ahead helping her, I only spoke out my opion, my post has no intention to stop your guys helping her.

Do you want to go to law school with me? then you wont understand my post literally? I am replying for the case, not point to that girl!

If her hubby has died over 2 years, she and her daughter need help, I will, but not at this moment. She did not ask for money for bury her hubby, but ajusting her status in usa? unbelievable. If I had misunderstanding here, please correct me or thrown bad eggs to me.

Where is his hubby's 401k, ADD and SSN? Is not she the Beneficiary?

Carl. I may have missed something along the way, but I think it's important to understand where the widow is in the process.

How long was she married before her husband's death?

Was the I-485 filed?

Has the AOS been approved? Is she a conditional permanent resident?

Her ability to remain legally in the US may turn on this information.

They had filed for AOS but hadn't had interview yet. She had been in the country and married about 6 months when he died. She has an interview next month Bing thinks this interview is on the original filing of the AOS her husband filed. Not sure how that may work out.

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case. 0„2Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

I find your attitude callous and unfeeling. It is not your place to decide whether or not it is best for her to stay or go. I don't recall anyone saying Jany should go back to China. The woman is struggling to do the best she can. She did not ask for a handout. I asked for one for her. She is one of us. A Chinese woman who married an American man who only wanted a nice husband to settle down with. Instead she has had sorrow and hardship yet she still doesn't give up. She is still fighting. Shame on you Beach Girl. I only hope you never have to face any of problems Jimei has. I doubt you would have the character to survive it.

well, as for my understanding for this, I think her case will be ok, becuase their marriage is sincerity before her hubby died, but I think she need to fill one form for that, asked her to check the Government website of homeland security , she will find what kind of the form she will form, I think she can find it out .

ALso, I think if she is really had such struggle life in USA, best choice is go back to China, China is not bad, life is good here in China, at least she has family and friends here, besides she can speak her own language.

If you have no money , no job, and no security insurance, plus the language problems, life is really tough in USA for her case.

Good luck , everyone, God Bless you

A couple of people have mentioned returning to China, but there's obviously a lot of information we don't know about her case. ??Carl, do you know if she's considered this option?

I find your attitude callous and unfeeling. It is not your place to decide whether or not it is best for her to stay or go. I don't recall anyone saying Jany should go back to China. The woman is struggling to do the best she can. She did not ask for a handout. I asked for one for her. She is one of us. A Chinese woman who married an American man who only wanted a nice husband to settle down with. Instead she has had sorrow and hardship yet she still doesn't give up. She is still fighting. Shame on you Beach Girl. I only hope you never have to face any of problems Jimei has. I doubt you would have the character to survive it.

why shame on me? what did I do wrong? Because I am the only one against you or what? Any of my replies are only based on the case, I never point out any names here, but you are pointing me personaly, you are so rude.

I am not asking her to do what I said, I am just suggesting. If she can have a better life in her own country, why struggling here in USA? I do not care if she is a chinese, indian, black or american, I am only standing on the right. Not because she is chinese, I have to help her, If she is doing everything right or good for her, I will help no matter what. I just could not fina anything hard for her to be back, reverse, I feel so sorry for her to suffer here in usa.

For her case, definatly good for her to be back to china. She wants to stay in usa? better legally, not work under table, My tax only pays for legally, not illegal one.

If you want debate about the case, I am ready, but if you attact me personally or saying soemthing so low-leval, I look down you (period)

VO: how did you come to USA

Widow : I came here for marrying my fiancé because I love him

VO so you came here for love

Widow: yes

VO: where is your love now?

Widow: my husband is dead,

VO: IC, so why you are still remaining here if your love is gone? As you said you came here for love, if love is gone, should not you go back?

Widow: well, I love usa, I think I can get a better life here. (can VO accept this answer? )

VO: if you came here for love, and the love is gone, why you are still staying here?

Widow: I love usa!

VO: how long have you been in usa?

Widow: 6 months

VO: 6 months? So in this 6 months, you become loving usa this much? What does use give to you?

Widow: well, usa does not give me anything, I am jobless as I have no EAD, I am asking help from church and friends as my husband did not leave anything for me and my daughter

VO: even though, you still love usa and going to stay here no matter how hard it is for you?

Widow: Yes, because I love usa, I think I will get a better life here.

VO: do you have hardship to be back to China?

Widow: yes, first, I love usa, second: I cant bear the public voice

VO: what public voice? Chinese husband live forever and never died? China has no widow?

Widow: ---------------- (keep silence, cant explain)

VO: I think you came here for loving usa, I have no doubt for your marriage, I just could not understand why you are still remaining here if your love is gone as you said you came here for love, and you do not have any hardship to be back, I need a better explaintion.

Widow: keep the head down, tears come out

VO: sorry, USA does not believe tears, so does VO

Widow: My husband dead, it is not my fault!!!!!

VO: I did not say it is your fault that your husband's death

Widow: then, why do not you give me green card:

VO: Dear xxxx, My job is giving the green card to the person who came to usa did not get married to evade the immigration laws of the United States. As the explaination you gave to me are not convinced, I think you love usa more than your husband! Plus what contrabution you can give to usa and you and your daughter will not being a burden for usa?

Cold and totally void of campassion.

I helped people with the same sitatuation as I did, but I only help them because they are worth my help and at the same time, I have to be sure that my help is right and good for them.

I donate 20 bucks every week in church, monthly amount is more than everybody donates the $$$ to that girl .

I do not think that is good for helping her in her cecumstance.