A Reprehensible Case

Bruce&Ying

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there will be a lot of fall out here because the was a cfl member. I hope this does not hurt our reputation.

We should avoid any fallout as long as we are all honest about the fact he had us fooled too. That is the bad thing about many of the members and the posts they make here. We have to take them all at face value, by the content of their posts and trust their honesty and integrity. Trust and credibility is a large part of this board, and one bad person may strain it, but not destroy it. We are all stronger that that :D.

Here is a quick rough... un spell check draft of a letter to the two Chinese organizations in Boston...

Please add to edit and polish..

Dear Sirs;

I am writing to you on behalf of the members of www.candleforlove.com (CFL) This is an online discussion forum for men and women who are involved in the K1, K3 and CR1 isa process with women and men from China.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....e10d3e852bebef1

It came to the attention of one of our members that the daughter of a woman from China had been molested.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....e10d3e852bebef1

This woman lives in Danville, NH and the man, her husband, the petitioner, is a convicted sex offender.

http://oit.nh.gov/nsor/display.asp?lname=BAIRD;HAROLD

Many of the members of CFL are concerned and have expressed our desire to be of help and support. We are also aware of the fact that this woman may be mis-trusting of us.As other members have looked into this it has come as a shock that the molester was a member of this forum.

We are contacting you in hopes of becoming involved in this matter. Many of our members are lined up with checkbook in hand to donate to a fund for this woman and her child. Many of the wives and fiances of the members and a sister group www.001.com have expressed their willingness to write i Chines to this woman to make her aware of our concern and to offer emotional support. We are all concerned about her and her daughters welfare both now and in the future and believe a group such as your's would be instremental in securing legal support to protect her rights.

It is our understanding that this woman and her daughter are currently in a woman's shelter and the man is in jail on a high bail. One of our members in the area has written to both the TV news station and the cheif of police regarding this, Of course we understand that the womans wareabouts is confidencial and that we are no more than concerned citizens.

Mark j Sullivan

Binong Xu-Sullivan

Shenzhen, China

John and Ying Bea is going to compose a letter to the woman and will do it in Adobe illustrator and save it as a jpeg and a PDF document so that you will be able to print it and NOT have to have chinese caracthers etc etc.

Another thought is why not a letter to the editor in the local news paper? She may actually be able to rea the local paper in the shelter.

I am firmly convinved that getting these two organizations involved and pushing for a law suit we can push this to the federal level.

I want to remind people of John Walsh and the tragic events of his son's death.

Mark and Bea and Elizabeth

Good letter, Mark (correct 'instrumental' 'yours' & 'confidential')

You have to wonder about this guy. Maybe 99% of the time he was a nice guy. But knowing what he had done in the past, you have to quesstion his motives in marrying a woman with a young daughter. Perhaps in his mind, he loves children and denies that he ever hurt anyone.

It's tragic (if we believe his account) that the little girl had come to like and trust him...

If I can find some time today, I'll see if I can find some contact info for the Chinese center where she was working. It sounds like she may already have some kind of support network in place; though I'm sure she and her daughter are still in need of help.

Ok Bruce;

I have emailed both organizations as of now 10:40 pm so 9:40 am there tues jan 18th.

Best to let them know and fill in details as they and we need/know them than writting the perfect letter.

Bea is still working on the letter to her and i will email it direct to you.

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was just looking at todays birthdays for CFL members (1/17/05) and saw that there was a Jim B who was from Danville, New Hampshire. This is the same guy (Harold J Baird) who was arrested this week...  Here is a post where he wrote about his wife and daughter. His timeline is at the bottom:

jimb Posted: Nov 24 2004, 05:19 PM  

My wife is adjusting quickly. She is teaching Chinese to Chinese adoptees at the Chinese center, and has a class schedued for chinese dance. The present manager of the the Chinese center wants her to take over as the business center, because she owns 2 restuarants and also has a full time job.

Does anyone up that way know which Chinese center to which this guy is referring? Maybe we could work through/with it in coordinating efforts.

I was just looking at todays birthdays for CFL members (1/17/05) and saw that there was a Jim B who was from Danville, New Hampshire. This is the same guy (Harold J Baird) who was arrested this week...  Here is a post where he wrote about his wife and daughter. His timeline is at the bottom:

jimb Posted: Nov 24 2004, 05:19 PM  

My wife is adjusting quickly. She is teaching Chinese to Chinese adoptees at the Chinese center, and has a class schedued for chinese dance. The present manager of the the Chinese center wants her to take over as the business center, because she owns 2 restuarants and also has a full time job.

:lol: :D :o :o :o :o :o :o

John,

You said in another post that both "jimb" and this Harold J Baird both live in Danville, NH and have the same birthday. How did you come to learn of Mr. Baird's birthday??

Is this is true, I'm horrifed.

I almost can't bring myself to believe that this Harold J Baird guy is a CFL member.

I remember some of his posts, I think I replied to some of his posts and help him out. WTF!?!? I nearly can't fathom this. I'm sickened even more than before.

Are we sure it's the same guy???

Edit - P.S. I think I see how you correlated the birthdays. I just looked at the profile for "jimb" and he listed his birthday as Jan 17, 1936. I remember the news story about Mr. Baird, they said he is 68 years old. How many 68 year old guys from Danville, NH have newly arrived Chinese wives??

Both cases involve a 5 year old girl. It's him. That's obvious. OMG.

Here is his (chilling) post-interview post:

I was worried last night sitting up waiting for her phone call,  and nothing to drink but coffee (that didn't help my nerves)

When the phone rang, I answered before it finished the first ring,  and the first words I heard were "good news"  She told me that the interview was conducted in Chinese and he only asked two questions in english.  "what was my name" and  "Why did she want to marry me"  

Here's a paragraph from her letter this morning.

"We got up early this morning and we went to the Embassy at 8:00 in the morning but there were so many people there standing in a line. We were allowed to go inside at about half past nine. The interviewer asked me some questions about your job, and when we met in person and why I want to marry an American man. I answered him honestly. And he also asked me if I am sure I would love to marry a man who I have stayed with for only 11 days. I anwered him "Yes, because he is so kind and he really love me. I think that's enough." And then he smiled and told me that  my visa had been approved. It was half past 12 and I was the last applicant in the office."

The most difficult thing about the visa process for us, was getting a passport for her daughter.   She is 4 years old and her birth was not registered because she was her second daughter.  When Wanzhen gave bitth the babys father threw them out, because the only way for them to register the birth was for both the father and mother to be sterilized, or for them to pay a hugh fine.

I found out from GZ and a consulation with a very reputable immigration attorney, that I would need a birth certificate and a passport for the daughter.   6000 dollars including three trips for both of them to the childs town  of birth, got us  the birth certificate and passport.  If they had known an american was involved the fine would have been $20,000 or more.  She got a birth certificate with no father listed.

The other two things I was worried about never came up.  Our age difference, and the fact that I am retired with a VA pension, and no income tax returns.  I used assets to prove ability to support them.

A long process,  but I love the ending.

We were considering my moving to China, if the visa didn't get granted.   I'd have loved to live in China, but didn't want to give up my VA medical benifits.  

I want to thank all the CFL members for all the help I have received by reading this board

"THANK YOU ALL!!"

It's those last two sentences which almost make me want to cry.

There is no way we could have known. His posts sound just like any other member's. I don't see anything in any of his posts that would have tipped us off. Mark had the right of it when he said it is a sickness that affects only one aspect of his life. Everytime I pick up a newspaper and read about some pedophile being arrested the common element is the friends and neighbors saying they are shocked, "he seemed like the nicest guy".

I wonder if he is guilty of any violations of Chinese law? Perhaps he could be extradited.

The thing that is upsetting to me is not so much that a member had a dark past, or even that a member has committed a reprehensible crime... but more that he utilized the help and support of all the decent people here to pull this off;

I can't help but think that he chose this poor woman because of her daughter and then had the kind folks at CFL help him through the process of bringing them here so he could get at the little girl.

That Thanksgiving post of his was spooky; the mother being chased away so that he and the 5 year-old daughter can be alone....

Anyways, I tried, without success to find anything like 'Chinese center' Chinese Community...." "Asian community', etc. in Danville or the surrounding towns or in NH.

I guess Plan B is a direct letter in Chinese to her offering help. Mark and Bea are sending one to me to forward.

Have you tried calling the Chief of police directly? Many people won't respond to emails. Also I am sure there must be a number for the women's shelter there. I'll dig around a while.

I think I found something. I believe this is the womens shelter if not they can probably tell you how to contact them.

New Beginnings. A Women’s Crisis

Center. PO Box 622. ... 603 669-9725. Liberty House Shelter Inc. 75 West Baker St. ...

Also here is an email link to WMUR Chanel who published the story.

WMUR Channel

mannews@ibsys.com

I'm up for the 3:30 am feeding 4 am now. Bruce i sent an email telling where I posted the letter from Bea.

Carl that certainly sounds like that would be the shelter or as you say a good place to start, nice going! Does anyone have a link to an actual newspaper story about this or was it just a radio broadcast?

I found there are about 3 local newspapers serving that area, can we should we write a letter to the editor?

And as you said nothing out of the ordinary from this person's posts. The post he made concerning interviewing was chilling in the light of what has happened and certainly speaks of a person versed in lieing, someone who has observed others closely and is a judge of human behavior.

This and I'm sure other details about these people are the reason there is such a thing as a sex offender registry. We don't see a robber one or an embezzler one or a "Hey bubba you got too many parking tickets!" one.

These people are predators and it would seem the powers that be have acknowledged that society has to be protected from them even after they have served their time. Sounds to me like this might be the basis for a strong law suit against the government agencies involved in allowing this child to be placed in his home.

The difficulty and expense he had in getting her a visa again in light of what happened is sickening. Perhaps our humanness, our kindness and our trust.. the foundation of a society, a life, is the thing that has harmed us the most. This maybe the most revolting part of it all. The things that make us who we are the things we are most proud of, have been blacken and turned against us. Could there be a better definition of crimes against humanity?