Randy W

So, you had a spinal epidural? Aren't all epidurals "spinal"? And, now you have an infection at that site? You would be in danger of meningitis, then. Or, you're just educating yourself in advance of a surgery?

In the meantime, you are resting the back and that should have improved the situation some, I hope. And good that Mrs W is on your team.

So, you had a spinal epidural? Aren't all epidurals "spinal"? And, now you have an infection at that site? You would be in danger of meningitis, then. Or, you're just educating yourself in advance of a surgery?

In the meantime, you are resting the back and that should have improved the situation some, I hope. And good that Mrs W is on your team.

No - that was simply copied from Google as something close to my own situation.

The swelling only occurs in the lower spine, affecting the legs.

We'll find out more later. For now they don't seem to want to operate until left leg blockages clear up.

Yes, bit not much rest for this back. They really toss you around when taking 'pictures'. I've had to learn to try to keep the back on direct support. That is, to try to roll on and off, instead of arching it.

But less movement I think is what brought about the left leg blockages.

One big problem I've had is that the doctors all speak Chinese - which means they speak with my wife.

I am with Greg....try hard not to let them give you an epidural. I know a lot of women get it done so they can see a live birth but the danger of getting meningitis and encephalitis these days is not uncommon. And doctors are afraid of anesthetic shock but if they know what they doing with the gas (provided you don't have other contraindications) I am always in favor of general anesthesia. Better for the patient and the doctor. I ran the recovery room as part of my shift. Lots of stories there.....

But again, it's not your body, is it.....

(Wanna worry? See George C Scott's famous monologue in The Hospital. It is so true.)

Sorry I used that Google quote without thinking through how it might be interpreted.

I'm simply trying to understand the medical terms I'm hearing. Epidural is NOT one of them.

No epidural has been suggested, nor has the subject come up, except through Google.

Allon and Greg have said it all nothing I can add except think things through and like you are already doing investigate everything and just don't follow them blindly. Make informed decisions. Best of luck.

I was in China once and had to go to the hospital and they were talking about doing this and that and I told the wife they can forget about that. She said you have to do what the doctors say. I said no I don't. Yes, you do. No, I don't and will not.

• Like 1

Re: feeling and mobility in the legs ..... you have shared some of this before.

Just offering my opinion that if you keep moving, circulation and strength (and even lower back pain) can improve. If work or other events enforce sitting, muscle tone and circulation suffer. You're either spiraling up or sprawling down after a certain age.

I was able to ride my bike to work for about 4 months before the winter and I aged backwards at least ten years. The lower legs felt normal at night, zero back issues. Now, slouching at a desk or in a car, I have that cold numb feeling return to my lower legs.

I know you have your ideas about your condition and have noticed that being bed-bound is making certain things worse. Hope you can get out of there and re-take control

I had a pyriformas injury once. It's a muscle that runs across the butt and about 7-10% have our sciatic nerves passing through it. Despite being in great shape prior to the injury, I was bed-bound for 2 weeks and barely mobile for the next 2-3. At other times, I clearly have a bulging disc.

So, you did your MRI? Wasn't the news you wanted to hear?

I am kinda with Greg. Everyone's body reacts differently even with the same medical condition. I know ever since I had those 2 cardiac stents that were very special and only a hand full of doctors in the country can do them I have suffered physically ever since. I am not in pain but have just gone downhill ever since the procedure. No physical exercise helps. The blockage was in the largest artery going to my heart and was 80% blocked. My doctor told me he could not understand why I had not been falling down or passing out. When it gets warmer I am going to try to get out more and get more exercise.

Anyway, this is about you and not me. What we want is for you to get better and get out of there because "in my opinion from my experience" the more you lay there the weaker you may get.

I've told Jiaying to be careful with the heaters (we have 2 space heaters). It's nice to stay warm, but this can affect the body temperature readings.

Sure enough, when my temperature reading was at 37.3°C, they wanted to take a CT scan of the lungs even though the next reading was at 37.0.

Jiaying yelled at them enough to get that taken off (since I've been in the hospital the whole time).

Yes, lifestyle changes will need to wait until I am out and about again.

But I do expect to get a new office chair out of this.

This all began when I started experiencing numbness in the legs that would keep me in one spot for 5 or 10 minutes until I could resume walking.

That was over a year ago. We haven't been out of Yulin since.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

I've told Jiaying to be careful with the heaters (we have 2 space heaters). It's nice to stay warm, but this can affect the body temperature readings.

Sure enough, when my temperature reading was at 37.3°C, they wanted to take a CT scan of the lungs even though the next reading was at 37.0.

Jiaying yelled at them enough to get that taken off (since I've been in the hospital the whole time).

Good for Jiaying.

• Like 1