Randy W

• 4 weeks later...

Chinese characters are required! One package was sent back a few years ago to the US because it didn't have the label in Chinese.

In order to send packages to myself, I include at least a pound of stuff to make sure it gets sent USPS Priority Mail International, and NOT first class mail. Priority Mail International is delivered by EMS in China, which gives EXCELLENT service, including full door-to-door (US door to Chinese door) tracking.

FedEx, DHL, and UPS do not deliver to Yulin.

When my mail forwarding service adopted new software which allows Chinese characters in the address, I thought I might not need the separate address label. But this is how it turned out on the USPS label. Good thing I asked them to include the address label.

I do this every time I get a new credit card, just to make sure it gets here.

package label.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

from the learn something new every day department-

Jiaying refuses to buy me either AA or AAA batteries, saying that they're either "5", or "7". Well, they come in blister packages of either 5 AA batteries, or 7 AAA batteries, so I thought she was referring to the number of batteries in the package. Turns out from Google,

SmartSelect_20210514-132258_Google.jpg

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

A/C maintenance in China. This little tune-up cost around $80USD. It consists of a floor-standing blower, with an outside compressor located in a vertical utility shaft running the length (height) of the building.

20210604_160005.jpg

20210604_163525.jpg

20210604_163652.jpg

20210604_163720.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

广西反诈中心提醒您:高考结束后,骗子会冒充“教育局”“财政局”等工作人员,主动与考生、家长联系,准确报出考生的学籍信息,骗取家长或学生的信任,以领取“教育补贴”需先“激活账户”为名,让其带着银行卡到ATM机上操作。接到此类电话,考生和家长要第一时间与学校进行核实,特别是涉及转账汇款等情况下更要谨慎操作,切莫贪小利吃大亏。此外,高考结束后,考生更要小心网游诈骗、低价手机诈骗、招工诈骗这三类诈骗。

The Guangxi Anti-Fraud Center reminds you: After the college entrance examination is over, scammers will pretend to be the staff of the "Bureau of Education" and "Bureau of Finance", actively contact candidates and parents, accurately report the candidates' school status information, and defraud the trust of parents or students in order to receive  "Education subsidies" need to "activate the account" first, and let them take the bank card to the ATM to operate.  When receiving such calls, candidates and parents should check with the school as soon as possible, especially when it involves transfers and remittances, and should be cautious, and refrain from greed for small gains.  In addition, after the college entrance examination, candidates should be more careful about online game fraud, low-cost mobile phone fraud, and job recruitment fraud.

ERROR #895 - You are connecting too frequently! 

says Astrill

It seems to connect, but not complete the connection at my end, so it tries again.

My network card is giving me trouble again - maybe I need a new computer.

I think it has to do with the traffic when I first boot up, so maybe I can just wait until the booting completes before starting up my browser.

The Realtek PCIe Family Controller just seems to destroy itself too easily.

Sigh

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Randy W said:

ERROR #895 - You are connecting too frequently! 

says Astrill

It seems to connect, but not complete the connection at my end, so it tries again.

My network card is giving me trouble again - maybe I need a new computer.

I think it has to do with the traffic when I first boot up, so maybe I can just wait until the booting completes before starting up my browser.

The Realtek PCIe Family Controller just seems to destroy itself too easily.

Sigh

Best way to get around re-boot issues.... is to never reboot. I don't think I've restarted my laptop in 2 months 🤣

2 hours ago, Barfus said:

Best way to get around re-boot issues.... is to never reboot. I don't think I've restarted my laptop in 2 months 🤣

Naw - I'll just try making my email program wait a cycle before it downloads emails. That seems to be what's happening (combined with other network activity) each time the card breaks.

• 2 weeks later...

A public service message on my cell phone

学法用法护小家,防非处非靠大家!处置非法集资部际联席会议办公室提示您:天上不会掉馅饼,宣扬“保本高收益”就是金融诈骗。请大家远离非法集资,守护好自己的钱袋子。

Learn the law and use it to protect your little family, and you can rely on everyone to prevent wrongdoing! The Office of the Inter-ministerial Joint Conference for Dealing with Illegal Fund Raising reminds you: There will be no pie in the sky, and the promotion of "guaranteed capital and high returns" is financial fraud. Please stay away from illegal fundraising and protect your money bags.

On 7/13/2021 at 10:09 PM, Randy W said:

No electricity. Not in our complex. Most of the neighbors have plenty, though.
20210713_212147.jpg

They had told Jiaying it would come back on around 1AM. It was more like 12:59AM.

Apparently, there was a fire about half a km away  that they had to turn off a main trunk for. 

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting scare yesterday. When I went to clean up my coffee stuff in the sink, smoke started coming out of the drain. Thinking something was on fire, I directed more water at it. The sink just FILLED with smoke. I noticed something in the strainer that looked like styrofoam on fire.
When I yelled for Jiaying to "Get here NOW", she explained to me that she had bought me some ice cream, which the grocery store delivered with bare nekkid (unwrapped) dry ice, which she had disposed of in the sink.
I'm not sure why they're delivering bare nekkid (exposed) dry ice, much less with FREE deliveries, but WHEW! Mystery solved!
Sorry - no pictures!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

We just got our first round of COVID shots on Saturday.

It was old people's day, since they had previously told people over 60 to not come in. We arrived shortly after a (free) busload of people from out of town.

DSC04093a.jpg

Waiting for results

DSC04094a.jpg

. . . and the winner is . . .

1st shot receipt redacted.jpg

Ours was Sinopharm, which only requires 2 doses. The Sinovac shots require three. They give you whichever is available on your first visit.

One thing I learned in translating this was that 奥利化园  (Ào lì huá yuán), the name of our complex, means Olive Garden.

I had never bothered to translate it before.

• Like 1