Randy W

We went to Wucai Tian Yuan today. See this CFL topic from before the pandemic. Both links here are to CFL topics.

"Hi tech Idyllic Resort" near Yulin

No one was there. Jiaying was concerned about how close we were to Beiliu, a city under lockdown, and wanted to turn her cell phone off so they wouldn't be able to track us and turn our health codes to yellow. She said some people had their health codes turned yellow just for approaching the blockade points on the main highway between Yulin and Beiliu.

This was the tourist center - completely empty. The lady working there took her time noticing that we were there. Jiaying joked that everything on sale (foreign imports) was "free" before she showed up. They no longer carry perishable food items.

DSC04126a.jpg

We dropped by the "Five Color Hotel", also pretty sparse with people.

DSC04127a.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

My new connection on LinkedIn - his warehouse is about a block away from us.

Hello Eveyone ,This is Jack Gan from Guangxi BaiXiangHui Import&Export Trading Co.,Ltd. We are cinnamon stick and Star Anise Factory in China. New arrival 2022 new crop Cinnamon stick and Star Anise, our worker hand picked Cinnamon and packing Star Anise. If you are interested in our Cinnamon stick, please feel free contact us
WhatsApp +8613557056173 email:bxhspices@163.com

The video on YouTube

新冠肺炎
xīnguānfèiyán
COVID-19, the coronavirus disease identified in 2019

We have a case on the 16th floor in our building - Jiaying says that they are quarantined in their home, that nothing else will be locked down. No other testing will be required.

My own health code is still green.

• 2 weeks later...

from an old high school friend (Class of '70) still posting on Facebook after a recent heart transplant

Well, back in the hospital again. Apparently there is a global conflict between drug sides erffects and my kidney’s and bone marrow. 
It’s a balancing act — enough immunosuppressant to avoid rejection can. Harm the kidneys and in turn suppress the bone marrow
This requires strict mental discipline. If I think of an infection, I catch it.   
So I’m getting a few dozen prophylactic therapies and isolation, maybe of for a week. 
Good news for the docs:  they now have an insurance approved Guinea pig to run tests on. 
They plan a bone marrow biopsy Monday, a toe nail biopsy on Tuesday,and a mustache biopsy on Wednesday.  
To be sure I do everything properly, my room is now a glass walled room.  Speech therapists closely watch how I eat and swallow. When I do it right, they jump and cheer.  
They are annoying, but the bathroom observers are just downright freaky. they chant encouragement, and when you succeed, they jump and scream “bombs away”
I guess I can become used to the minute observations, but the hooded docs at the unit are terrifying as they look for other body parts to poke, prod or stick. 
It is not so much their hooded glares that scare me as much as the evil, gleeful laughter they emit as the concoct a new torture. Routine. 
Hopefully they’ll fix the low WBC low hemoglobin before the schemes launch!
Merry Xmas, everyone!  I’m caught in a bizarre Ground Hog’s day scene for a while, but I’ll get thru it.

• 3 weeks later...

Got COVID - I'm not sure how, since my wife is the only person who could have given it to me. Her test shows negative.

20230103_180534.jpg

We went to the hospital today, where the doctor simply listened through his stethoscope and prescribed several different meducations.

I'm not having breathing difficulties at all, and no more trips needed to the hospital.

the medications - 

Jiaogulan Heji

Jiaogulan is used for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and improving heart function. It is also used for strengthening the immune system, increasing stamina and endurance, increasing resistance to environmental stress (as an “adaptogen”), improving memory, and preventing hair loss.

Other uses include treatment of poor appetite, cough, chronic bronchitis, ongoing stomach pain (chronic gastritis), pain and swelling (inflammation), ulcers, constipation, stress, gallstones, obesity, cancer, diabetes, trouble sleeping (insomnia), backache, and pain.

Yinqiao Fengre Ganmao Keli

TCM Functions: Releases the Exterior, Dispels Wind, Clears Heat, Expels Toxic-Heat.

TCM Diagnosis: Early stages of a wind-heat invasion possibly accompanied by heat-toxins. Also for wind-heat or heat-toxins attacking the skin, especially in the upper body.

Presentation: Occasional scratchy or sore throat, aversion to wind, sudden fatigue, thirst, occasional sneezing, red irritated eyes, slight headache, mild body aches, slight dry cough. Also for itchy red skin lesions that appear suddenly and move around quickly, especially in the upper body.

Potassium Guaiacolsulonate Oral Solution

HYDROCODONE; POTASSIUM GUAIACOLSULFONATE is a cough suppressant with an expectorant. It is used to treat the cough and congestion of colds and other respiratory infections. This medicine will not treat an infection.

Cefaclor

anti-biotic

• Sad 1

Take care of yourself Randy, sorry to hear about this.

It's hard to tell from the lighting but the "negative" test looks like it shows a faint 2nd line which would still indicate a positive case. Could be that she's recovering from the infection, it could be incubating at a slower rate for her, or she didn't swab enough "sample" from her nose, or a faulty test... 

My in-laws both just recovered without any issues, and my FIL is 72 and smokes. They only took a few extra-strength tylenol to ease muscle aches and fever so they could sleep through the night.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Barfus said:

Take care of yourself Randy, sorry to hear about this.

It's hard to tell from the lighting but the "negative" test looks like it shows a faint 2nd line which would still indicate a positive case. Could be that she's recovering from the infection, it could be incubating at a slower rate for her, or she didn't swab enough "sample" from her nose, or a faulty test... 

My in-laws both just recovered without any issues, and my FIL is 72 and smokes. They only took a few extra-strength tylenol to ease muscle aches and fever so they could sleep through the night.

I'm not sure about her - she doesn't seem to have it, but she does seem sicker (with the coughing and hacking) than I am.

I watched her take her second test - she did kind of half heartedly swab her nostrils. That second line by itself would indicate a failed test. For a succesful (negative) test, the line goes away, so, yes, that may explain why the line was still just barely there.

She wanted me to take another test today. I wouldn't care what it would have to say either way, so I just told her, No thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Randy W said:

I'm not sure about her - she doesn't seem to have it, but she does seem sicker (with the coughing and hacking) than I am.

I watched her take her second test - she did kind of half heartedly swab her nostrils. That second line by itself would indicate a failed test. For a succesful (negative) test, the line goes away, so, yes, that may explain why the line was still just barely there.

She wanted me to take another test today. I wouldn't care what it would have to say either way, so I just told her, No thanks!

Yeah honestly looks like a positive based on the dark C and faint T, either it was incubating, or she is recovering. Either way, a bummer! BTW when I had COVID Aug 22 it took almost 2 weeks for the line to fully disappear - even though all my symptoms went away after 3-4 days, turns out that these tests can still pick up traces of the virus and produce a faint test (T) line for quite some time.

This is what the directions say (I use a scanner app to scan in the entire page and run OCR on it. Then I put that through Google translate - it seems pretty flawless, within the limitations of Google translate) - 

Test image.jpg

【检验结果的解释】

本产品通过检测区(T)与质控区(C)是否出现色带,来判断结果。无论检测样本中有无新型冠状病 毒抗原,对质控区(C)都会显示出色带,若质控区(C)不出现色带,则考虑操作是否有误,或试剂是否异 常,应重新检测。用检测区(T)上是否出现色带来判断,被检测样本中是否可能含有新型冠状病毒抗

原。 如图所示:

6:

90%

阳性

阴性

1) 阴性结果

2) 阳性结果

无效

仅质控区(C)出现一条红色条带,检测区(T)内无条带出现。

(两条红色条带出现。一条位于检测区(T)内,另一条位于质控区(C)内。检测区(T)条带颜色可浅,均为阳性结果。

深 可

(3) 无效结果

质控区(C)未出现红色条带,无论检测区(T)是否出现条带。表明结果无效,需重新测试。 阳性结果表示:样本中检出新型冠状病毒抗原,怀疑新型冠状病毒感染,请立即上报并按防控规定隔

离、就诊。

阴性结果表示:样本中没有检出新型冠状病毒抗原,但阴性结果不能完全排除感染的可能,应按照当 地疫情防控政策进行后续处置,必要时建议去医院进一步检查。

----------------------------------------------------------

【Explanation of test results】

This product judges the result by whether there is a color band in the detection area (T) and the quality control area (C). Regardless of whether there is a new coronavirus antigen in the test sample, the quality control area (C) will display a color band. If there is no color band in the quality control area (C), consider whether the operation is wrong or the reagent is abnormal, and it should be tested again . Judging by whether there is a color band on the detection area (T), whether the tested sample may contain the new coronavirus anti-virus

Original. as the picture shows:

6:

90%

positive

feminine

1) Negative result

2) Positive result

invalid

Only a red band appears in the quality control area (C), and no band appears in the detection area (T).

(Two red bands appear. One is located in the detection zone (T) and the other is in the quality control zone (C). The color of the strips in the detection zone (T) can be light, and both are positive results.

deep can

(3) Invalid result

There is no red band in the quality control area (C), no matter whether there is a band in the detection area (T). Indicates that the result is invalid and needs to be retested. A positive result means that the novel coronavirus antigen was detected in the sample, and if the novel coronavirus infection is suspected, please report immediately and isolate according to the prevention and control regulations.

Leave and see a doctor.

A negative result means that no novel coronavirus antigen was detected in the sample, but a negative result cannot completely rule out the possibility of infection, follow-up treatment should be carried out in accordance with the local epidemic prevention and control policy, and it is recommended to go to the hospital for further examination if necessary.

The T band came on first, and went away for her test as the C band came on. In any event, she will need to be taking the test again fairly soon. She wanted ME to take the test again today to see if I'm clearing up, but, at this point, I wouldn't CARE one way or the other what it says. 

She has a second whole box of tests on order that we can use. The Potassium Guaiacolsulonate (basically a Robitussin clone cough syrup) seems to be the most useful medicine at my present condition to suppress the cough - the hospital and nearby pharmacies were all sold out and suggested a TCM remedy instead. She was able to find 6 bottles of the Robitussin clone - they were all at drugstores in Yulin and arrived within an hour of ordering. Very convenient.

Now she's saying she probably DID have COVID - between the time of the last mandated test and the test I posted above.

Also that maybe 90% of Yulin has it, and at least one sonewhat near relative died of it.

A good time to stay home.