Randy W

• 2 weeks later...

It's been raining some lately - not sure if it was enough to put a damper on things, or if maybe the sky lanterns were just outlawed! With all the coal dust, it's a wonder they don't cause more fires!

You can see some of the stuff that washes out of the air in a light rain, and how it's discolored the bricks in just the five years since they put them in.

gallery_1846_744_632210.jpg

The coal dust seems to have a consistency like atomized papier mache, and can be VERY difficult to scrub out.

Jiaying says that the builder of this complex decided that this would be the optimal point at which to skip town - AND out of the country! After he had collected money from a few pre-sales, and couldn't get loans to continue the work. There are other sites where a build demolished existing structures, only to find out that they couldn't get loans for the new construction.

gallery_1846_744_88813.jpg

Time to renew our driver's licenses - they expire on the 26th. Yes, six years! Looks like an easy process - need to drop by the PSB (their may be some controversy about her hukou address, which no one in her family lives at any more). The first step was to get pictures - the guy at this shop usually does a little extra Photoshop work

gallery_1846_744_565144.jpg

This is where we go for the driver's license

gallery_1846_744_579022.jpg

They send you to this little shack out in the parking lot, where they test your vision (just point in the direction the E's face on the chart, one eye at a time), a color blindness test, wiggle your fingers (I'm not kidding - they specifically check them)), and take another picture.

gallery_1846_744_333727.jpg

The renewed licenses are good for 10 years, which, in my case, will be until I'm 74 years old. But they need to see my old passport first (the one that the first license shows), so we go back tomorrow.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My new license - good until 2026 at the age of 74. After you hit the age of 60, you have to drop by the police station every year for an eye test, colorblindness test, and to wiggle your fingers (I kid you not - not sure if this proves motor control, or that they're real fingers, or what).

The cost of this license was ¥10 (about $1.50USD).

gallery_1846_676_15885.jpg

Congratulations!

Can you drive only with that in the U.S.?

Yes! I was able to both rent a car (from Enterprise), and survive a traffic ticket on my last trip to the U.S. with only a (current) Chinese license and an expired Texas DL. I had a certified translation of the Chinese license.

My new license - good until 2026 at the age of 74. After you hit the age of 60, you have to drop by the police station every year for an eye test, colorblindness test, and to wiggle your fingers (I kid you not - not sure if this proves motor control, or that they're real fingers, or what).

The cost of this license was ¥10 (about $1.50USD).

gallery_1846_676_15885.jpg

Randy, the last time that I went to get my license they had just changed the law on issuing license to every 6 years but I hit it just right and got mine for 8 years and I don't have to go in every year for an eye test and to test my fingers. I can tell you one thing the license was more than $1.50 though.