Randy W

Sheep parts on display at our Xinjiang (Mongolian) Bar-b-q shack last night - including the head, and a new sheepskin rug

gallery_1846_744_667291.jpg

They cut me a rib and about a pound of other meat - it was the tastiest rubber I've ever spent 15 minutes chewing on before I could swallow

gallery_1846_744_129280.jpg

Meanwhile, his friend (between us and the street) had a few things to say while he watched me eating

gallery_1846_744_729484.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Some of the outdoor vendors are using nice, bright LED lighting - MUCH better than the typical dingy fluorescent lighting you see everywhere. They also make excellent flashlights, and are widely used in cars, including for headlights - seems like they could do a better job adapting it for home use

gallery_1846_744_560898.jpg

These little batteries provide all the power they need

gallery_1846_744_642274.jpg

Seems like ALL the street vendors are switching over to battery-powered LED lighting - nice, bright light, and no wiring needed to hook into an electric source.

gallery_1846_744_328052.jpg

Jiaying is heading for the hospital this week to remove a couple of neck cysts endoscopically, while the third floor is curing. She'll be in and out, I'm not sure how much time she'll be spending there.

Now in the hospital, surgery to begin shortly (8AM). She's supposed to stay for 3 days, but I expect she MAY stay overnight. We had our "Christmas" celebration at her mother's for the Winter solstice (as usual)

Now in the hospital, surgery to begin shortly (8AM). She's supposed to stay for 3 days, but I expect she MAY stay overnight. We had our "Christmas" celebration at her mother's for the Winter solstice (as usual)

Dumplings for the solstice?

Hope all goes well in the hospital. I can imagine how you feel.

Thanks, guys! I think she pulled through okay, but will wait 'till she fully rested up (maybe tomorrow?) before coming home.

In the meantime, we got a moocher in the midst! The daughter-in-law showed up yesterday, while Jiaying was getting ready to go in, showed up for her (and the grandson's) free meal, a self-cooked dinner, and stuck around for a while to use our wi-fi and bathroom.

She came back again tonight, and pulled the same thing - I had to call Jiaying twice to figure out what was going on

Glad things turned out OK, Randy. Have a good Christmas.

Thanks, Eric! You, too, It looks like she's going to stay for the full three or four days, since she needs IV's.

Well, I hope that's the worst of your problems this week. Did she cook enough for you, too? I think that was her purpose .... to take care of you, grandpa.

No, she cooks for herself and the grandson, but DOES usually offer some to others.

She's like a "friend" who drops by periodically to sit on the couch and avail herself of the facilities - we're right across from the grandson's day care, while she lives across town. Jiaying usually complains about her also. She and Jiaying's son are divorced now.

At the time I posted that, she was all that stood between me and my Christmas steak, so I was a little anxious for her to leave.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I hope that's the worst of your problems this week. Did she cook enough for you, too? I think that was her purpose .... to take care of you, grandpa.

No, she cooks for herself and the grandson, but DOES usually offer some to others.

She's like a "friend" who drops by periodically to sit on the couch and avail herself of the facilities - we're right across from the grandson's day care, while she lives across town. Jiaying usually complains about her also. She and Jiaying's son are divorced now.

At the time I posted that, she was all that stood between me and my Christmas steak, so I was a little anxious for her to leave.

Well, she showed up last week while Jiaying was temporarily home from the hospital, didn't say a thing about the hospital thing, and started cooking herself dinner after Jiaying disappeared to the bedroom. They had it out, and we are now "grandparents non-gratin" (yes, I know that's grandparents without cheese). Jiaying sent the grandson's clothes back, and will soon send his toys over there also - the mother is on her own now. Jiaying already seems less stressed out.

There's just a VERY bizarre sense of entitlement in that girl!

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

LOL...Randy, Jiaying shows the same definitive sense of purpose that my Yifang does. Once she's done with something, she's done!

Sorry that you won't be seeing the grandson for awhile, but I'm glad that Jiaying is doing better, and that the Jiaying tower is progressing!

And Christmas steak....sounds like a really good tradition! :licklips: