Randy W

gallery_1846_633_282060.jpg

Yulin's town square along the river is VERY active EVERY night - I took this picture tonight while waiting for our grandson's tae kwon do class

There are pool tables, kite flying, kiddie activities, soccer fields in use, karaoke, and, of course dancing grannies out there

Randy, what is that blue half-oval shaped light in the back of the photo? Roller coaster?

gallery_1846_633_282060.jpg

Yulin's town square along the river is VERY active EVERY night - I took this picture tonight while waiting for our grandson's tae kwon do class

There are pool tables, kite flying, kiddie activities, soccer fields in use, karaoke, and, of course dancing grannies out there

Randy, what is that blue half-oval shaped light in the back of the photo? Roller coaster?

There are two stadiums along the river - I am standing at the mushroom-shaped gymnasium. That is an auditorium/exhibition hall - the blue lights simply highlight the shape of the building.

The yellow-lit structure on the left is the Yuntian Cultural City (and my avatar). It is a combination gift shop and museum - a good place to pick up a gift for someone in the 7-digit (USD) range

They re-opened the pool again today - first time in 3 years. Not much of a crowd, at ¥5 a pop and a little bit of a chill in the weather lately

gallery_1846_633_14686.jpg

This was the scene 3 years ago - the pool has only been opened for a total of maybe 10 days over the whole time we've been here.

gallery_1846_633_315962.jpg

Randy, I was just wondering if the pool has any filtering system on it and if the chlorine levels are checked regularly. The reason that I ask is that the wife's ma, baba and nephew went to the public pool two weeks ago and baba and the nephew went in. Ma did not. Baba and Kiki got sick for 5 days. Then this week the same thing. Baba and Kike got sick but ma did not. I think that they need to find another pool. :sweating_buckets:

Randy, I was just wondering if the pool has any filtering system on it and if the chlorine levels are checked regularly. The reason that I ask is that the wife's ma, baba and nephew went to the public pool two weeks ago and baba and the nephew went in. Ma did not. Baba and Kiki got sick for 5 days. Then this week the same thing. Baba and Kike got sick but ma did not. I think that they need to find another pool. :sweating_buckets:

They do manage to (mostly) keep it free of algae and trash with squeegee's and mops. This is what it usually looks like. It does look like they now intend to open it more regularly, though. I'll be avoiding it myself.

Yes - no provision for filtration as far as I can see.

gallery_1846_633_935418.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Beautiful pool. But that last pic looks like a mosquito factory.

Oh, now I see what's weird: no places to climb out on the side, only the ends. Oh, now I see: 3 sides.

For the most part, it's drained and/or evaporates. That was after a rain.

They seem pretty serious about keeping the pool up - it's like this pretty much every day, with a lifeguard and a couple of people to charge admission. Everybody wears a bathing cap and (apparently) uses the two bathrooms at either end of the pool

gallery_1846_633_29940.jpg

I am a swimmer and I check swimming pools closely before i get in. Same with scuba when I did it although I've been in some cloudy water with a full kit.

Ear infections are common with me since I have had my ears blown out many times. I don't think I would swim in that pool. They probably need to get a water clarifier but the water is too cloudy. Usually emulsified sweat and oil causes that. And pee. The admission fee is a good idea. Helps pay for maintenance.....

But it's a nice pool. Great for laps.....if it were not for the obstacles.

Putting up the levels so everyone can see is a good idea. The ph level is as important as the chlorine level, as they are related. A ph of 6.5 is too low. Should be 7.2 to 7.6. The high ph they show in the interval (6.5 - 8.5) is too high. There might be some irritation to the mucus membranes of swimmers at 6.5. The temperature is also medium (26 C) low so that ph might be OK. The chlorine level is expressed as a % and at that ph level, it should be at about 90% which is good.

The water just looks cloudy. Some clarifier might help and sodium carbonate (I hope my memory is correct) will raise that ph level a bit but they might have to add some more chlorine. A level of .5 total combined chlorine is OK.

A big pool like that would require frequent testing at different areas of the pool. But I have dipped my toes in worse I guess. I love seeing a big pool like that.....

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of new actually GOOD restaurants have opened up in Yulin, and they're only a block or two from home. This one is called the Art Exploration Restaurant (Italian, or ee-Dali as my wife says)

gallery_1846_633_40618.jpg

This equation and graph was one of the artworks. Nerd that I am, I had to check their equation when I got home.

gallery_1846_633_243828.jpg

I didn't find it in my old CRC handbook, so I plotted it in Excel. Looks good to me!

gallery_1846_633_18971.jpg

• Like 1