Randy W

Those are pomelos, Larry - just now coming into season. I took this picture in January in downtown Rongxian, which is famous for them.

gallery_1846_633_153787.jpg

Yes, the chicken shack is our destination, although the trail continues to the top.

More pictures from other trips we made there - http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/682-rongxian/

The other day, I explored the new 2nd Ring Road which has just opened up, and came across some new scenery

An old little house on the prairie overlooking Yulin - can't have much longer to be there

gallery_1846_662_584904.jpg

I followed this trail through the woods

gallery_1846_662_818360.jpg

which came out to this place, still occupied

gallery_1846_662_382941.jpg

As always, some great photos Randy. I so enjoy looking at these views of China off the beaten path. That neighborhood on the narrow street looks especially interesting. I wonder what it is like at night - I can imagine it would be pitch dark unless there is some form of lighting. Do you know if they have any kind of street lights back in that area?

As always, some great photos Randy. I so enjoy looking at these views of China off the beaten path. That neighborhood on the narrow street looks especially interesting. I wonder what it is like at night - I can imagine it would be pitch dark unless there is some form of lighting. Do you know if they have any kind of street lights back in that area?

I'm sure there's some fairly haphazard lighting here and there. I've got a rear light that flashes red and/or blue in different patterns, but no headlight on my bicycle in the event that I ever feel the urge to venture out after dark (so far, I haven't). The main streets are pretty well lit. I wouldn't be concerned about my own visible range - I'd just be concerned about others.

That reminds me of a town we drove through one night. The lights were so dim you could hardly tell there was a town there - except for a camera speed trap on the highway. The lights for THAT were so bright you could see it from far away, like a brightly lit photo booth.

What kind of creature is that laying on the table and what would it be used for. Do you know?

Larry

That would be the head and upper body of a snake, which I assume was having the oil extracted from it in the tank.

I didn't ask any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I get one of my rare to non-existent "bachin' it" days - the wife is in the hospital for a series of endoscopic operations to remove some benign tumors she's had for at least 15 years. She'll be in and out for mostly out-patient surgeries - the over-night stay tonight was unexpected.

They showed up (except for some new ones in her neck and stomach) on her chest x-rays back in 2005. She had had one removed before I met her and undergone diagnostic treatments in the U.S. After receiving similar care in both the U.S. and China (x-rays, endoscopy, MRI, utlra-sound, etc., etc.), she prefers the Chinese system, but I think that's mostly because they all speak Chinese here. We were able to get Chinese-speaking physicians under my health plan while in the U.S., but none of their employees did. She's in the Traditional Hospital here in Yulin.

The chest x-rays were used as a baseline to see that they hadn't grown since then (2005). It doesn't seem like anything serious, but one of those things you "keep an eye on".

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)