Randy W

Some little (paper?) creations on sale tonight downtown - one thing I've noticed in China is that for all the street vendors everywhere, it seems like there are relatively few truly unique arts and crafts for sale

gallery_1846_633_510449.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got tired of paying ¥30-¥35 for a 500ml bottle of German heipi (黑啤) dark beer at the pizza joint, and besides, they had quit selling pizza, and looked like they were going out of business. So we ordered a case of Mönchshof Schwarzbier from Beijing at only ¥15 per bottle - shipping by truck freight for the entire case of 20 was only ¥25

kulmbacher-monchshof-schwarzbier.jpg

gallery_1846_633_127854.jpg

gallery_1846_633_40.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Headed off tomorrow for a trip to Huangyao, Hezhou, and Yangshuo (all in NE Guangxi, near the border with Guangdong.

gallery_1846_632_433987.jpg

I have some pictures already in the gallery from previous trips. I'll upload some more as soon as we get back in a week or so

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/632-eastern-guangxi/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/656-huangyao/

Beyond envy. The beer alone is really inviting. I miss those big bottles. And black beer is hard to get even here. It's all micro-brew stuff with spices and stuff that ruin the taste. I do wish the Chinese would learn how to make pizza that doesn't taste like burnt dumpling dough.

Keep it coming, Randy.

Headed off tomorrow for a trip to Huangyao, Hezhou, and Yangshuo (all in NE Guangxi, near the border with Guangdong.

I have some pictures already in the gallery from previous trips. I'll upload some more as soon as we get back in a week or so

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/632-eastern-guangxi/

http://candleforlove.com/forums/gallery/album/656-huangyao/

Well, it looks like we're going to hit the road tomorrow. The forecasts have cleared up a little, especially around Hezhou and Yangshuo. So we'll see how it goes. Tomorrow night in Hezhou, and maybe time for a day trip to Shibashui.

... So we ordered a case of Mönchshof Schwarzbier from Beijing at only ¥15 per bottle - shipping by truck freight for the entire case of 20 was only ¥25

Tips (and savings) like this are helping me rationalize my next trip to China .... :D

thanx,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted pictures from this trip in the following threads

Our room in Huangyao

Near Yangshuo

Eastern Guangxi - Hezhou and Huangyao Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

I bought a pair of bluejean shorts today. I had gone out to get some potatos for dinner, and, on a lark, just asked the guy if he had any size 38's. So he digs in his stock, and whips one out that says "38". It seemed about right so I bought it.

I paid ¥30, the price marked on his sign. The wife tells me I should have paid ¥20. But, you now - if the guy's going to stand out there on the street and sell jeans in my size, I'm more than happy to give him ¥30. I don't especially care about what I think of as a "laowai discount" - where the wife talks the vendor down just because she figures they're over-charging the laowai.

So there. (They fit just fine, by the way).

Much of the stuff that's "Made in China" for sale in the U.S. is also available here, if you look around enough. Look for the American sizing (inches).

Rongxian - Another "Climb the Mountain" Scenario

The road to Rongxian is getting especially potholed. Some of the bumps are hard to see until you're right on top of them. The last time we went, cars were driving on the other side of the highway to avoid the potholes on this side.

China has only recently discovered asphalt, and is repaving a lot of road surfaces with that, including this highway (in some spots)

gallery_1846_682_262103.jpg

Some of the insects there were sounding like buzzsaws

gallery_1846_682_870063.jpg

We had an interesting scare yesterday. Jiaying called me up and had me come to the car wash. She had left the car there, and gone to the grocery store.When she got back, they had lost the key, so I had to bring me to be able to move the car. Now she had paid ¥800 for a year's worth of car washes - buying a new electronic key would have cost more than two years' worth. The guy said he would buy a new one for us if it didn't show up after 15 days.

Fortunately, one of the employees had left for the day with it in his pocket and brought it back the next day.