Randy W

So basically its a fan that creates and blows humid air... :blink: :huh:

Yes - swamp coolers. Many homes in the southwest U.S. use whole house versions instead of A/C units - much more economical and add moisture to the air in dry conditions. The water vaporizes and produces some pretty cool air, although one fan can't do much cooling by itself. Surprisingly comfortable. I expect they'll be in use until the colder weather hits in December.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Yes - swamp coolers. Many homes in the southwest U.S. use whole house versions instead of A/C units - much more economical and add moisture to the air in dry conditions. The water vaporizes and produces some pretty cool air, although one fan can't do much cooling by itself. Surprisingly comfortable. I expect they'll be in use until the colder weather hits in December.

I wish I had one in Austin.

The air here is so dry, makes your skin dry out.

I wish I had one in Austin.

The air here is so dry, makes your skin dry out.

You have to understand how crazy something like that sounds to folks living down here in the southeast. You step outside around here and it feels like someone ran up and wrapped you in a hot, wet blanket. During the worst part of the summer, I rarely go out without a snorkel. :sweating_buckets: :yikes:

When I lived in China, getting a decent cup of coffee was next to impossible, at least during the first three years. My first year, about all you could find was the pre-mixed Nescafe packs, which were mostly creamer and sugar. There was one hotel that Li and I often went to on Saturday mornings. They served coffee, actually espresso, but they served it in the size of cups you would expect for regular coffee. We used to go there, sit and grade papers, and I would get buzzed out on coffee. When we moved down to Shantou, decent coffee was still hard to find until around 2001, then several decent coffee houses opened up. I am a coffee snob from way back, so the absence of decent coffee was one of the drawbacks of living in China for me. I remember having coffee from Yunnan and really liked it. On one trip to Hong Kong I bought several bags of it as it was not easy to get in Shantou. My favorite coffee is from Sumatra. Yum yum and buzz buzz buzz...

Beer delivery at the BBQ joint the other day - this guy wasn't content to just park in the street and wheel the beer in. He actually drove his truck through the tables up to the counter and unloaded his truck there. At one point, he even got out of his truck to move one of the chairs at our table out of the way

gallery_1846_633_222435.jpg

One of the things they do right in China is to sell these little printer ink tanks. The printer ink feeds through a plastic line to the OEM cartridges, which are soldered and sealed up to feed the ink from the tanks. The tanks can be refilled from bottles, rather than spending $20-$50 for an ink cartridge every time it runs out. Any firmware which disables the cartridge after a fixed amount of ink is dispensed is disabled by the installer, so the ink supply will run indefinitely.

gallery_1846_633_264788.jpg

You are right Randy about that. I saw them on eBay but had no information about them other than what the seller said so I was a bit skeptical. Now that you have tried them and seem to be satisfied I think I'll buy a set. I bought a set that had the nice plugs in the top for refilling and the refill bottles of ink. They had the individual tanks that disables or overrides the printer knowing how much ink is in the tank. Actually I think that the chip is in the tank itself. This new printer that I have loves ink more than any printer that I have ever had. Sometimes I think it is evaporating it some how. It uses 10 times more ink than any other one that I have had. That is no kidding either.

Larry