Randy W

I read its dog meat day in Yulin.

I think your steak run to Nanning will call into question the source of Yulin dog meat, if you are caught.

Dog meat vedors have a repution to keep so: Please be careful.

I guess you don't sell meat unless you have a permit or dog license.....

. . . on the 21st - the summer solstice. We had chicken pizza.

There used to be a restaurant that kept a dog carcass hanging in their front window, but they seem to have toned it down a little in the last couple of years.

The grocery store in our building just started stocking these (they must know there's a Meiguoren in the building). Seems like when you buy a whole liter, they could at least give you a glass bottle.

I'll wait until it cools down before I try it.

1305292583125.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Mao-era housing near Yulin - a couple of these units are still occupied

gallery_1846_664_523363.jpg

A town along the way, not much larger than what you see. A town like this would pretty much be a ghost town in the U.S. I saw two or three along my route - this was the largest

gallery_1846_664_400802.jpg

gallery_1846_664_37840.jpg

Thats a lot of scenery in just 15 miles...almost like a different world. It's cool that you can experience that without getting on a plane. Are you an anomally in the small towns you encounter or are they used to foreigners now?

I don't get as much attention as others - even my wife, sometimes. I'm very comfortable with that (level of attention). It's amazing to me how you can pretty much read what two people say to each other when they spot me, and share the alert - regardless of what language they're speaking.

If you like having 13 to 25 year old girls to say, 'Hello!' to, this seems to be the place. I'm enjoying it.

Another aspect of that that's interesting - I've never had a feeling of 'Private Property - No Trespassing' - or 'Keep off'. They generally either ignore you, or smile back.

But even at the University, I had met some people who had never spoken to a foreigner before.