Trip to Liuzhou

Randy W

Tree delivery truck on the Interstate (Interprovince?) - this guy pulled way over so the trees wouldn't whip against my car (hopefully he didn't run over the maintenance worker up there)

gallery_1846_649_274486.jpg

coming soon

gallery_1846_649_116268.jpg

gallery_1846_649_337163.jpg

In Shantou, where we lived in China, the scooters were ubiquitous to say the least. They had designated lanes for them, but no one paid attention to any of that business. Cars and taxis drove in all the lanes, even the far right one designated for bicycles and some of the more daredevil taxi drivers would actually hop the curb and take to the sidewalk. I was in such a taxi once. After going upon the sidewalk for about a block, he went back down onto the street and shortly thereafter made a sharp left turn, clipped the tail end of a bus and then t-boned a truck load of pigs. We were not injured, but there were cages of squealing oinkers all over and around the cab. Police were on the scene in minutes, as were the newspaper photographers and reporters. I guess the fact that a foreign devil like myself was somehow involved in this misadventure made it more newsworthy. I had a TV newswoman come to my apartment the next day, along with a cameraman, for an interview about the great pig truck accident. What a hoot!

They have traffic cameras everywhere these days - the new revenue stream for local governments is traffic tickets. It's been a tremendous change - no one wants to have to pay for a ticket at ¥100 a pop. Jiaying has learned to not turn right from the scooter lane, and to not go straight from the left turn lane. You'll see traffic cameras out in the middle of nowhere, lit up like a photo booth in an otherwise dark area.

They have also discovered asphalt - our major Ring Road around town was resurfaced maybe 5 or 6 months ago, and hasn't yet developed any new potholes. The highway between Nanning and Liuzhou was recently resurfaced also. But the road to Yulin is still concrete - only a couple of years old, but should be ready to resurface soon.

Did you catch the water fountain of lights on the river in Liuzhou at night? Was very pretty show when I was there in 2011. I got some pics at home but my camera not good enough to do them justice.

Great photos as always Randy.

Did you catch the water fountain of lights on the river in Liuzhou at night? Was very pretty show when I was there in 2011. I got some pics at home but my camera not good enough to do them justice.

Great photos as always Randy.

Thanks - yes we did. I may get around to posting a few more in the gallery.

• 9 years later...
On 3/13/2013 at 8:59 AM, Randy W said:

coming soon

gallery_1846_649_116268.jpg

A Visit to the "City of Electric Vehicle" in China
In recent years, SGMW, once a leading representative of Chinese commercial vehicle brands, has shifted its focus to #electriccars and launched a number of cooperative and co-branded models, attracting a large flock of young fans.
Liuzhou has built a comprehensive eco-system for new energy vehicles, covering car production, daily use, parking and charging. This model has substantially enhanced residents’ sense of benefits from green travel.
#Guangxi #ChinaDecade

from Discover Guangxi China on Facebook 
https://www.facebook.com/DiscoverGuangxi/videos/1158239498408347/

SAIC-GM-Wuling Automobile (Chinese: 上汽通用五菱汽车股份有限公司, abbreviated as SGMW) is a joint venture between SAIC Motor, General Motors, and Liuzhou Wuling Motors Co Ltd. Based in Liuzhou, Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, in southwestern China, it makes commercial and consumer vehicles sold in China under the Wuling and Baojun marques, respectively. 

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)