Randy W

A little fall-out after the fire in Xianggelila - the guy we order coffee from is located in Dayan, Lijiang's "Ancient City". He said he had to spread out the roasting over a few days, since the fire dept. tended to show up if he tried to do it all at once.

This is his roaster, which is just set up in the front of his shop to exhaust to the front alley.

gallery_1846_646_90209.jpg

gallery_1846_646_123099.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Car inspection day - there is only one inspection facility for the entire city (and that may include surrounding cities in the same prefecture as well), so there's always a pretty good line.

Cars line up side-by-side, in sections from left to right. Jiaying didn't want to stick around - but there were representatives from the insurance company herding me through to make sure I got it all done

gallery_1846_633_292287.jpg

First stop is this little shed, where they take pictures of your vehicle, including the emergency reflector that you're supposed to set up if you break down, and other pictures of the side and interior

gallery_1846_633_181952.jpg

Lastly, to this building which is only about 200 ft. long. You leave the car off at the entrance, while they drive it through the tests. You walk around the side of the building and by the time you get to the other side, they're just about finished. Fairly quick for the actual testing, but I was there for about 3 hours in all including the line.

gallery_1846_633_522645.jpg

We had to come back the next day, since we were too late to pick up the sticker.

Since I'm over 60, we also have to drop by the PSB (across the street from the inspection facility) to verify that my vision is still okay, and my fingers still wiggle (they actually take a picture of you holding all 10 of them up).

• 3 weeks later...

I thought this was very cool - some members of our high school football team are meeting for a reunion at the Borman Ranch in Montana - that's Frank Borman in the center. His son Fred is one of the football players. This shot is in his private museum at the ranch.

10257286_10203805993089070_7800452080707

• Like 1

Our bank opened a new branch around the corner from the old one. I went to the old location and just found brick walls where the ATM's had been. The wife did ask at the new one about any toaster give-aways, but we were ineligible, since we weren't opening a new account.

gallery_1846_633_174438.jpg

The wife is trying a mixed fruit wine now, which she says ISN'T wine

gallery_1846_633_275706.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Some solid wood furniture - this table looks like it was made from one block of wood from one tree - from bark-to-bark. The crack only extends a couple of feet - the table is about 15 to 20 feet long.

gallery_1846_633_363406.jpg

Some similar blocks of wood in a warehouse in Pingxiang, a free trade zone with Vietnam.

gallery_1846_633_849588.jpg

Damn what a shame. I love woodworking. I have seen that happen too. I always thought the cause was improper curing. Cured to fast cured to slow? I don't know. Perhaps Carl will chime in on this one. I have seen green wood dried naturally that split like that. I wish I could get a slab like that here to build a dining room table but it just ain't gona happen here. Perhaps out west in Califunky. How much do they cost per slab Randy? Unfinished

Larry

Damn what a shame. I love woodworking. I have seen that happen too. I always thought the cause was improper curing. Cured to fast cured to slow? I don't know. Perhaps Carl will chime in on this one. I have seen green wood dried naturally that split like that. I wish I could get a slab like that here to build a dining room table but it just ain't gona happen here. Perhaps out west in Califunky. How much do they cost per slab Randy? Unfinished

Larry

Sorry - didn't ask