Randy W

Our broken breaker gets fixed -

Chinese Electrical Circuits

Damnedest thing that I have ever seen Randy.

Larry

Yes, it is. To me, the scariest thing is those little loops which carry the current down the "bus" from one breaker to the next. It should be okay, though, as long as each one can carry 63 amps (the max allowed through the main breaker). I've seen similar little wires (about 1 to 2 inches long) that are used as main (and only) breakers in many of the older homes.

There's nothing around there that can catch on fire, so hopefully the worst that could happen is that a wire could fry in there.

The courtyard looks very nice, Randy. It must be great to have that small haven of green in the concrete jungle of a Chinese city. Do you guys live downtown or in the outlying areas?

Yes! Increasingly downtown, and decreasingly outlying.

But our home faces inward, toward this little patch of green, which, as I understand it, is protected by our 70 year "lease", which functions more like deed restrictions than what we (westerners) typically call a "lease". That is - we OWN our home - the 70 year "lease" was actually "usage rights" granted to the builder to build (and sell) the property as per the original plan, which included this greenery. Nobody is leasing ANYTHING.

But yes, just about ALL of the farmland around us has disappeared except for a small patch.

This is the Google satellite image of our area - the image is more than 10 years old, and the road from downtown hadn't even been built at that time. Our complex was built in the are I circled in red, and the blue circle is virtually all devoted to crops.

gallery_1846_633_563480.jpg

This image from Bing is much more recent, and shows the build-up in that area.

gallery_1846_633_170189.jpg

I took this picture inside the blue area in 2010. It shows an irrigation canal. There are still lots of smaller farmed areas nearby, which you can see in the second picture, Even just in these small areas, the Chinese irrigation system is obvious - just about any where you go where crops are being grown, you can hear water trickling nearby.

gallery_1846_633_477155.jpg

This is one of the small crop areas that are left today

gallery_1846_633_644811.jpg

These buildings are located right where I took that picture of the irrigation canal. I took this picture from our bathroom window today - looking back toward downtown, and the buddha statue that I use for my icon. It's now just barely visible there in the background.

gallery_1846_633_286753.jpg

Randy that first picture is absolutely fantastic. If it weren't so hot I could sit there all day and look at that. Now the wife would want to run through there afraid that she might get a seed, spot of dirt or a blade of grass on her. :sweating_buckets:

Is the third picture your destination? The chicken shack. Is that second picture what I think it is? The dreaded Durian.

Larry