Near Yangshuo

Randy W

This was our trip to the Yulong River, a small tributary of the Lijiang, near Yangshuo.

This is where the boats start from, most heading South for a one-way trip downriver. We headed North for a round trip to the Yulong River bridge. Jiaying got us on an economy tour - a boat that looked like it would barely stay afloat for only ¥130, instead of the ¥200 that most people paid.

gallery_1846_695_877510.jpg

gallery_1846_695_530198.jpg

gallery_1846_695_1070891.jpg

• Like 1

Loved loved loved Yangshuo! Such a cool niche, in China. My Chinese students bypassed Yangshuo and focused entirely on Guilin, which I wasn't overly impressed with. Good times, good memories. Thanks for the nostalgic memories, Randy

BTW, did the dude who guided your boat make you grab the floor when boating toward the back of the 20 RMB pic location? Nothing like a little unexpected pee in your pants to help you remember your trip. Good times. Info on the 20 RMB

BTWx2 In the "us at the bridge" pic your fly is unzipped.

j/k :lol:

Edited by Kyle (see edit history)

Had to look that up. More of those pup hills. After September, all Chinese visits will be down in Nanning area, like before, whether Fen is still there, or immigrated. Her contract job will be over. So, maybe we will take this in. I just got back after visiting yet another little city. I should post, but have a few more things, I discovered we didn't have before, to send to NVC first. At least as soon as wife gives me the English translation scan.

BTW, did the dude who guided your boat make you grab the floor when boating toward the back of the 20 RMB pic location? Nothing like a little unexpected pee in your pants to help you remember your trip. Good times. Info on the 20 RMB

BTWx2 In the "us at the bridge" pic your fly is unzipped.

j/k :lol:

We took a trip to Xingping, where they have a little spot on the shore where you can stand and take the picture. From there, you can take one of the little motor-on-a-stick rafts (not quite up to the big-block-Chevy-V8-on-a-stick things I was used to in Thailand) to another little ancient village, which is marked simply as "fishing village". I was surprised to see that someone else had gone there first.

gallery_1846_695_308759.jpg

gallery_1846_695_496557.jpg

My wife and I did those river boats several years ago near Yanshuo, I remember sunburning our feet which did not have sunblock on them, also remember various entrepreneurs, on the shore and on sand bars in the river selling ice-cream, snapping pictures and selling prints, having power cords strung from the shore to their stand to run things like computers and ice boxes.

My wife was just in Yangshou a couple weeks ago and was a bit alarmed with how much development is going on there, it use to be a nice small town, she says many people moving into areas like Yangshuo trying to get away from all the pollution in the big cities.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/56/Glass_House_Mountains.jpg/1280px-Glass_House_Mountains.jpg

The Glass House Mountains are a group of eleven hills that rise abruptly from the coastal plain on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

About 70 km, or a one hour drive, north of Brisbane.

That's close!