Randy W

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_1846_744_814584.jpg

For anyone who didn't get it - that is a Victory Vision - an American V-twin motorcycle, 1731 cc, rated at 92 hp. This guy showed up in front of our complex with it the other day. Seems to be used to a little bit of attention

My wife gave me some of these, saying they were prescription only

DSC00521.JPG

I thought, Zheese! Prescription liquorice ?? So I did some googling.

Chinese Medicine Adventures with Damien Bodnarchuk

and this

TCM warning for travelers to US

A Chinese man surnamed Wu and his daughter were barred from entering the US for the next five years after trying to bring in Compound Liquorice Tablets, a TCM cough remedy, for a friend in Los Angeles, reported the New York-based news portal worldjournal.com on Tuesday.

Wu and his daughter were also reportedly kept in detention for more than 10 hours by the customs at Los Angeles International Airport. The 1,600 tablets carried by Wu were confiscated as an inspection by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) marked them as contraband as they were detected to contain cocaine.

I guess the Madame Pearl's old formula fits in this category as well (and is likewise prescription only), but the cold medicines available in the drugstores nowadays don't even have pseudoephedrine.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Just back from a midnight run to the hospital (for the grandson, not me). He apparently had an allergic reaction (just a swollen lip) to some seafood he had for dinner. The hospital is open and staffed 24 hrs. a day. He got the doctor visit, a shot, and some medicine - at a cost of ¥20, or about $3USD.

• Like 2

Just back from a midnight run to the hospital (for the grandson, not me). He apparently had an allergic reaction (just a swollen lip) to some seafood he had for dinner. The hospital is open and staffed 24 hrs. a day. He got the doctor visit, a shot, and some medicine - at a cost of ¥20, or about $3USD.

Jiaying says he was fine this morning, and went to school. Hopefully, he can stay awake.

The "hospital" where my wife is from -- I would not go there if my life depended on it. Some of the things my wife has been given when she was sick as a dog you can find scrummaging in a junkyard.

'Course I won't go to a the Mayo or VA hospital either. :D

• Like 1

This came up as a "memory" on Facebook from 2 years ago - along the trail to one of my favorite chicken shacks. We haven't been there since January, because of road construction and destruction along the way. G324 used to be the main highway all the way across southern China from Kunming to Guangzhou. It's still used heavily, but deteriorates to 5 mph potholes in places.

gallery_1846_682_193048.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's that time of year here, too. We're going for about 10 gallons this time (6 crates of grapes) - just grapes and sugar

【葡萄成熟時】9月22日,在法國香檳產區艾鎮,工人采摘成熟的葡萄。隨著秋天的到來,當地的葡萄迎來了收獲的季節。(新華社/路透)

When the grape mature] on 22 September, the French Champagne Nuits-town, workers picking ripe grapes. With the arrival of Autumn, the local grape ushered harvest season. (Xinhua / Reuters)

www.facebook.com/XH.NewsAgency/photos/a.446942328709816.1073741826.369959106408139/1100207343383308/?type=3

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

People around here break out their winter parkas when it hits 68F. Jiaying is threatening to buy me apair of long pants (I only brought shorts).

We only spent 1 day in Huangyao - there are lots of fascinating little nooks and crannies to poke around in. We're now in Yangshuo.