New Hotel Rules

If this question is in wrong place, please move it to the right one.

Has anyone just entered China after the new rules went into effect?I am curious as I am scheduled to go to Shenzhen on the 20th of May.

This time i do not have hotel reservations as will stay with my GF.Will i need an invitation letter from her?

I have never registered at the local police station before when staying with friends, guess I better do this time. My visa is good until November but this time,if i not put a hotel name on the immigration form if they will give me a bad time.

Thanks in advance

Paul

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone just entered China after the new rules went into effect?I am curious as I am scheduled to go to Shenzhen on the 20th of May.

This time i do not have hotel reservations as will stay with my GF.Will i need an invitation letter from her?

I have never registered at the local police station before when staying with friends, guess I better do this time. My visa is good until November but this time,if i not put a hotel name on the immigration form if they will give me a bad time.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have always listed a hotel, not always stayed there and no problem. But that thing going on this summer seems to have an "effect" on things!!

Similar subject last week: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=30756&hl=

Back in 2004 when I toured China, I had my China based travel agency send me a letter of invite+itinerary so that I could include this with my visa application.

When I travel to China again I probably will use the travel agency again for domestic flights, they will supply me with itinerary.

Some notes on tourist visa requirements: http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

Similar subject last week: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=30756&hl=

Back in 2004 when I toured China, I had my China based travel agency send me a letter of invite+itinerary so that I could include this with my visa application.

When I travel to China again I probably will use the travel agency again for domestic flights, they will supply me with itinerary.

Some notes on tourist visa requirements: http://www.oasischinavisa.com/tourist_visa.html

For us that have our tourist visa already do you think we will have a problem getting into China without having a hotel reservation? Should I have her send me an invite to visit and could this be done by email? I will also be entering China via Hong Kong.

For us that have our tourist visa already do you think we will have a problem getting into China without having a hotel reservation? Should I have her send me an invite to visit and could this be done by email? I will also be entering China via Hong Kong.

No, this has to do with the Chinese embassy or Consulate in the USA that issues the visa, the rule now is that you need to provide them the info before they can issue the visa. If you have a visa then you should be fine.

No, this has to do with the Chinese embassy or Consulate in the USA that issues the visa, the rule now is that you need to provide them the info before they can issue the visa. If you have a visa then you should be fine.

Kool, because I would hate to get to the border and them say no enter for you............

That would just plain old suck..........

Hey Ironman, just flight itinerary and hotel reservations, you will be fine!! Did it the last 2 trips and no snags!! :)

Hey Ironman, just flight itinerary and hotel reservations, you will be fine!! Did it the last 2 trips and no snags!! :D

for ur question. my bf will be here in late May. this time is more difficult than before. last time when he came here, they asked for nothing.no round tickets and no hotel receipt. but this time, they asked for that. and i wrote him invitation letter two days ago. we are waiting for the result. dunno whether they will refuse assit him with china visa this time. and also since april 14th. tourist visa will just for one month. anyway, hope my answer can help you.

• 4 weeks later...

Jest received my new Visa, I was qouted to put in Block 5 of the Visa App, the following:

"I certify that I will be residing at the above address for the duration of my visit", and then sign right next to this statement in block 5, before send the Visa Application in for processing.

No need to provide a Hotel address unless this is your 1st visit, also include an invitation letter from your SO.

Your visa expires in November.

My gut feeling is that any travel you do INTO China prior to november, you'll be ok at the POE. But - just in case - carry that invitation letter (in chinese) with you to use at the China Immigration and Customs border check.

I think when you renew your visa after November, this 'hotel requirement ' or 'kinship proof requirement' will dissapate, the Olympics will be long over by then (but wtf do I know, anyway?)

Anyone else going into China soon? Care to make a report about what happened at the customs and immigration counter?

I'll be leaving next week, I'll make a report for the CAN border crossing (I'm flying, yee haaa).

Good Luck !

I'm leaving for Kaifeng on Friday 5/30. I Had to provide round trip tickets and proof of hotel reservations (unpaid). A letter from my SO saying I was going to stay with her wasn't enough proof. I figure once in China I'll just stay with her as planned. Unless they check on me they won't know and I hardly think that Kaifeng will be a popular protester destination so I should be fine!

I'm leaving for Kaifeng on Friday 5/30. I Had to provide round trip tickets and proof of hotel reservations (unpaid). A letter from my SO saying I was going to stay with her wasn't enough proof. I figure once in China I'll just stay with her as planned. Unless they check on me they won't know and I hardly think that Kaifeng will be a popular protester destination so I should be fine!

You mean you had to do all of that stuff to GET THE VISA,recently, right?

You got it recently, after the 'new rules' went into effect, yes?

You weren't checked at the Customs desk for anything (well, you haven't left yet).

The OP already has a visa.

I lucked out, I got my visa around the 11th o January, missed the fee increase, missed the other silliness, got a 1 year multiple entry with 60 day durations.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

You mean you had to do all of that stuff to GET THE VISA, right?

You weren't checked at the Customs desk for anything (well, you haven't left yet).

The OP already has a visa.

I lucked out, I got my visa around the 11th o January, missed the fee increase, missed the other silliness, got a 1 year multiple entry with 60 day durations.

My visa was issued Feb. 05 08, one year multipal entry. Duration of stay: 60 days....I seem to have missed all of the extra stuff....on my application, I only provided my fiancee's contact info, no letter of invite (even though she offered several times :) ).

As far as hotel reservations and what not, nothing more than the travel info, that was on the application.

Q: where are you going in China?

A: Beijing-Harbin-Beijing.........pretty simple (I thought) :blink:

Anyway, I hope that I don't encounter any "problems" at the POE, certainly, NOT something that I need :angry:

I hope this helps

Regards

Hamp

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have always listed a hotel, not always stayed there and no problem. But that thing going on this summer seems to have an "effect" on things!!

In 4 prior visits, I never listed a hotel... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... I didn't know it... I didn't have my wife's phone number available, dummy me :blink: , but I did know the hotel in my final destination, my wife's hometown... the customs person seemed releived :angry: ... so was I :) I thought I would have to get back on the plane.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)