New Hotel Rules

just came back from China(chongqing) 2 weeks ago,i did not need hotel reservations,i stayed with my wife at her apartment,and i did not register with the local police,i had no problems,in and out,very simple....i got my visa in april,so maybe i missed the "letter of invitation" and new rules,i didn't have to provide any of that,just my dates when i would be in china,when i was leaving and where.

jimi

Thanks, just being a little over active in the thought process about this. Only my second trip there and just a little worried with the changes.....

Corbin,

Better safe than sorry!

On my 1st Visit, my SO did send a letter of invitation, then subsequence visits didn't require a invitation letter. My old passport expired in Feb 08, naturally I had to get a new passport, so I couldn't use the old passport in applying for my new visa with all previous Visa's issued.

As for the New Requirements, there is nothing contained within the wording on how those of us with fiancee's or wife's waiting for there interviews, on how we could get a new visa and enter China. I asked her to send a new invitation letter to support my new Visa request and this is how I bypassed the hotel requirement, and I now have my visa. In addition from my previous posts about blocks 4 (Kinship & Family) & 5 and the statement "I Certify" did the trick.

My 1 tip for you, just make sure to put her home address on the POE card, you shouldn't have any problem at the POE checkpoint. I always carry her address and phone # with me for this purpose. Is you Visa a 12 month mutlipe-entry?

Anyways enjoy your 2nd trip with your SO, as for myself, I hope my trip this time includes my Lao Po crossing the border with me and completing the dreams we both started a long time ago.

Oh, its a multi entry good until November. Not really worried just over thinking things. I have both her address and phone number so I'm not worried there.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your covered.

This thread took on a life of it's own, the OP wanted to know about those of who didn't have a Visa prior to the New Rule change, most of the posters here already had there Visa's prior to this new rule change.

So my response was how to over-come this requirement to obtain the Visa. So by filling out blocks 4 & 5 of the Visa App, with the info as I have stated to secured my Visa, so for anyone else if they follow this guide shouldn't have a problem getting there Visa.

For those of you who fell into this category, the question was directed at the POE checkpoint, what ever you did on your visits previously, such as listing your SO name and address on POE card or the hotel address if you didn't stay with him/her. It' critical to fill out the POE correctly, because the IO can refuse you entry if it is not done right, which means you will have to fill out another card and go through the process again. I have seen this happen a couple of times in GUZ.

...... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... the customs person seemed releived ...
As for the first part of the OP's question, suppose we all have a visa and are traveling. This reply seems to hit one of the nails on the head. As pointed out, the question about 'where are you staying?' was asked at POE. We better all be prepared to fill out this card upon arrival. I never have before- sung to the tune of "the times they are a changing."

...... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... the customs person seemed releived ...
As for the first part of the OP's question, suppose we all have a visa and are traveling. This reply seems to hit one of the nails on the head. As pointed out, the question about 'where are you staying?' was asked at POE. We better all be prepared to fill out this card upon arrival. I never have before- sung to the tune of "the times they are a changing."

This was some what my worry, because the last time I was there I didn't fill out the POE card all that well. I didn't even have a registration confirmation email from the hotel I stayed at because my now fiancee made the arrangements for the stay. Spent to much money to be turned away.

Corbin, you flew into Hong Kong and crossed the border into mainland China from there, this could be the reason why. I will be flying direct into GUZ, no way to avoid the POE card.

You still need to fill out a POE card even when you fly into Hong Kong.

• 2 weeks later...

No health card required now, they have a new arrival and departure card, very simple and easy, no question asked at the border about hotel reservations.

Filled out the form they had at the POE put down the hotel I would meet her at and was asked for nothing to show I was really staying there. No problem, though they did look at my passport real good.

They are having extra security measures for the Olympics. This happens in any country that the Olympics are being held at. Because of terroist activities in other Olympics. Just to be safe, always carry your passport with you a all times.