New Hotel Rules

In 4 prior visits, I never listed a hotel... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... I didn't know it... I didn't have my wife's phone number available, dummy me :blink: , but I did know the hotel in my final destination, my wife's hometown... the customs person seemed releived :angry:

'Oh wow - you had to list on Entry? Thanks for the data point, I'l be sure and faithfully fill out the Immigration Card this time (Seriously, I've NEVER filled it out with WHERE I was gonna be staying, ever, in 9 years of travel, only listed the city)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 4 prior visits, I never listed a hotel... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... I didn't know it... I didn't have my wife's phone number available, dummy me :) , but I did know the hotel in my final destination, my wife's hometown... the customs person seemed releived :angry:

'Oh wow - you had to list on Entry? Thanks for the data point, I'l be sure and faithfully fill out the Immigration Card this time (Seriously, I've NEVER filled it out with WHERE I was gonna be staying, ever, in 9 years of travel, only listed the city)

I think it has to do with the Olympics... the $1 videos are "not" as available anymore... They were plentiful before for 4 prior trips.. I saw a news program where they were distroying 1000's... Olympics... the world is coming.

Another thing... reserve your hotel early, Lao Po was told that non chinese "should" not get the "cheap" hotel deals. Let Lao Po make the reservation in her name, but you might not get the "record" in your name. :blink:

I must say, I was impressed how happy China was to get the Olympics... it was on everyday.... every hour :blink: ... we are spoiled with all our everyday sports and "things".

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

Jest received my new Visa, I was qouted to put in Block 5 of the Visa App, the following:

"I certify that I will be residing at the above address for the duration of my visit", and then sign right next to this statement in block 5, before sending the Visa Application in for processing.

No need to provide a Hotel address unless this is your 1st visit, also include an invitation letter from your SO. Also include flight info.

Picked-up my Visa today via FedEx, my application was sent to the Houston Embassy, the info above was what was submitted and approved. The area for family or kinship was filled out just above block 5.

Now for the POE side of the house, I've always including my SO name and address on all my visits (5) on the entry card. Omitting this info on the POE entry card could cause a red-flag at entry. The other point here is that the at the POE, they can ask about your hotel reservation or the adress that you are going to stay at regardless of when you obtained your Visa. Just because you have obtained your Visa prior to the new rule change 4/14/08 doesn't preclude or insure that you will have automatic entry. It advisable to fill-out the POE card correctly to insure a smooth entry. You need to give this same info upon departure.

I will be registering with the local PD just to make sure everything is on the up & up.

just recieved my passport with the new visa today...had no airplane tickets or hotel reservations to get this...i do not know when i will be going back...waiting for interview date at this point...just did as chris did, i wrote in the block 5 of the application the exact same words as he did, "I certify that I will be residing at the above address for the duration of my visit".....in 7 prior trips, i have never registered with police(don't think i will next time either)....and as for the immigration papers you fill out, i always just put fiancee's address and phone number on this

just recieved my passport with the new visa today...had no airplane tickets or hotel reservations to get this...i do not know when i will be going back...waiting for interview date at this point...just did as chris did, i wrote in the block 5 of the application the exact same words as he did, "I certify that I will be residing at the above address for the duration of my visit".....in 7 prior trips, i have never registered with police(don't think i will next time either)....and as for the immigration papers you fill out, i always just put fiancee's address and phone number on this

I did register on my 1st visit in Jan 05, haven't since then but will do so this time.

As for the POE, I carry her address and contact info with me all the time, and as anyone knows, it a long walk after departing the aircraft to the POE in GUZ, complete the health card and the POE entry card, 15 minutes later cross the GUZ POE checkpoint, then downstairs pick-up my bags, then off to meet my SO.

I think there was some confusion between the New Visa requirements i.e. (hotel and flight reservations and how to bypass the hotel requirements, the advise given came from a Passport Agency in regards to blocks 4 & 5) and crossing the border (POE entry), so this thread took a small change of direction in that regard.

I think it has to do with the Olympics... the $1 videos are "not" as available anymore... They were plentiful before for 4 prior trips.. I saw a news program where they were distroying 1000's... Olympics... the world is coming.

Ah So ! I'll stop into the IT Malls and have a gander about, see if the 'software' is still available. Last time I bought some Compiler Stuff, just for the pretty pictures on the packaging.

In the past, I had helped to shut down online sites in China for warez, but since my favorite vendor scattered their own dev team to the wind? I don't really care any more. And BOY! Did I Care !

If this question is in wrong place, please move it to the right one.

Has anyone just entered China after the new rules went into effect?I am curious as I am scheduled to go to Shenzhen on the 20th of May.

This time i do not have hotel reservations as will stay with my GF.Will i need an invitation letter from her?

I have never registered at the local police station before when staying with friends, guess I better do this time. My visa is good until November but this time,if i not put a hotel name on the immigration form if they will give me a bad time.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have always listed a hotel, not always stayed there and no problem. But that thing going on this summer seems to have an "effect" on things!!

In 4 prior visits, I never listed a hotel... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... I didn't know it... I didn't have my wife's phone number available, dummy me :ph34r: , but I did know the hotel in my final destination, my wife's hometown... the customs person seemed releived :lol: ... so was I :lol: I thought I would have to get back on the plane.

Did they actually ask for the hotel you are going to stay at when going through the POE? I leave on the 1st of June and land in Hong Kong going to Shenzhen to stay with my fiancee. I have her number, but no letter of invite.

Darnell,

It could be that the New Visa Ploicy remains in effect and won't change.

I'm sure the Olypmics are playing a role for the change of policy, similar to Major sporting events in Europe (World Cup and European Cup Soccer), therefore they are trying to root out any form of disruption for the Olypmics, i.e. (people who are going to start) political protests from stagging these about human rights or the Tibet issue from entering the country.

Most countries in Europe prevent some people from entering into a another country because they are known to have been involved in causing major street fights, causing damage to businesses with host nations (because of Soccer bragging rights), it's has happen in France, Netherlands and Germany in resent times during the World Cup events.

If this question is in wrong place, please move it to the right one.

Has anyone just entered China after the new rules went into effect?I am curious as I am scheduled to go to Shenzhen on the 20th of May.

This time i do not have hotel reservations as will stay with my GF.Will i need an invitation letter from her?

I have never registered at the local police station before when staying with friends, guess I better do this time. My visa is good until November but this time,if i not put a hotel name on the immigration form if they will give me a bad time.

Thanks in advance

Paul

I have always listed a hotel, not always stayed there and no problem. But that thing going on this summer seems to have an "effect" on things!!

In 4 prior visits, I never listed a hotel... this time I was asked in Shanghai(april 12,2008) at the POE... I didn't know it... I didn't have my wife's phone number available, dummy me :ph34r: , but I did know the hotel in my final destination, my wife's hometown... the customs person seemed releived :lol: ... so was I :lol: I thought I would have to get back on the plane.

Did they actually ask for the hotel you are going to stay at when going through the POE? I leave on the 1st of June and land in Hong Kong going to Shenzhen to stay with my fiancee. I have her number, but no letter of invite.

More than likely, they are going to look at you POE card, list the address that you are going to stay at and you should be fine.

just came back from China(chongqing) 2 weeks ago,i did not need hotel reservations,i stayed with my wife at her apartment,and i did not register with the local police,i had no problems,in and out,very simple....i got my visa in april,so maybe i missed the "letter of invitation" and new rules,i didn't have to provide any of that,just my dates when i would be in china,when i was leaving and where.

jimi

just came back from China(chongqing) 2 weeks ago,i did not need hotel reservations,i stayed with my wife at her apartment,and i did not register with the local police,i had no problems,in and out,very simple....i got my visa in april,so maybe i missed the "letter of invitation" and new rules,i didn't have to provide any of that,just my dates when i would be in china,when i was leaving and where.

jimi

Thanks, just being a little over active in the thought process about this. Only my second trip there and just a little worried with the changes.....

Well, I wonder what kind of trouble they will give me if we are staying with one of Junhua's former classmates in Shenzhen? I just sent off my passport for visa service and didn't put a hotel reservation on it. Crap! We just happen to have a lot of friends in China with open invitation to stay at their places.

After all the comments, staying at Mr. Yang's place might be a great option as well. I tried his website link but it was a bad link. Anyone have a link for his apartment booking that works?

Here is the link to Yang's Hotel: http://www.yangjiahua.com/

The link is in Chinese and you may have to refresh to get to display properly.

Did you send your Passport directly to an Embassy or Consulate or are you using a Passport and Visa service? If the latter, I would suggest calling them ASAP, and ask the question about hotel reservations?

Did you put any info in block 4 or 5 in the application?

Since you were there not long ago and I'm assuming that your using the same passport, I don't think you'll have any problems with the Embassy or Consulate issuing you a new Visa.

Also, do a search of Mr. Yang's Hotel to get his direct email addy.

jimi

Thanks, just being a little over active in the thought process about this. Only my second trip there and just a little worried with the changes.....

Corbin,

Better safe than sorry!

On my 1st Visit, my SO did send a letter of invitation, then subsequence visits didn't require a invitation letter. My old passport expired in Feb 08, naturally I had to get a new passport, so I couldn't use the old passport in applying for my new visa with all previous Visa's issued.

As for the New Requirements, there is nothing contained within the wording on how those of us with fiancee's or wife's waiting for there interviews, on how we could get a new visa and enter China. I asked her to send a new invitation letter to support my new Visa request and this is how I bypassed the hotel requirement, and I now have my visa. In addition from my previous posts about blocks 4 (Kinship & Family) & 5 and the statement "I Certify" did the trick.

My 1 tip for you, just make sure to put her home address on the POE card, you shouldn't have any problem at the POE checkpoint. I always carry her address and phone # with me for this purpose. Is you Visa a 12 month mutlipe-entry?

Anyways enjoy your 2nd trip with your SO, as for myself, I hope my trip this time includes my Lao Po crossing the border with me and completing the dreams we both started a long time ago.