A VoIP Phone Company

I should add one thing. This morning the cable was out for an hour or so after I got up. Since I don't have any other phone service, I was without a phone until the internet came back up. Wife had our emergency cell phone with her so if she had tried to call, it would have not gotten through. That's just something to keep in mind with a VOIP phone provider, regardless of who it is.

I am using Italkbb now and love it. Had a few issues when I first set it up, but now it seems to run smooth. Never seem to have any issues with quality. This includes local, long distance, international (relatives in Canada) and calls to/from China.

My cable (Comcast) has been very reliable. It was down last week for two days, before that they had a server DSN server crash cost most customers a day, so this means it has been down three days since it was installed (as long as it has been available). I have friends, who have DSL and seem to have much more problems. Make sure you select a reliable braodband company for use with Italkbb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's brother said the connection to his cell phone using ItalkBB is not very clear. My wife will try again another time.

I think the China service they are on and where they are may have an effect. Ours works fine throughout DongBeiBu. Gets frequent use3 mostly calling there but also calling to us. A few times had to call back for a clearer line but not nearly as often as when we used a landline with calling cards.

I have iTalkBB now and we can talk all we want, it's great! I used a cordless phone and I can carry the phone anywhere on the property and still talk to Loving Candle. Plus, her family loves the idea of calling her any time when she is here.

-James

My wife's brother said the connection to his cell phone using ItalkBB is not very clear. My wife will try again another time.

I think the China service they are on and where they are may have an effect. Ours works fine throughout DongBeiBu. Gets frequent use3 mostly calling there but also calling to us. A few times had to call back for a clearer line but not nearly as often as when we used a landline with calling cards.

My wife's mom called her son yesterday and she said the connection was alright. Hopfully, my wife would not use onesuite while using the Italkbb phone to call China.

Edited by tonado (see edit history)

I told my wife that the call to China is free using Italkbb. Then she asked if her brother has to pay using his c-phone in China to talk to us. I said no at first. Then I told her that he has to pay for using his c-phone but the charge is not related to Italkbb. Then she said the call is not free. :P :D

I'd be interested to hear if anyone is having any luck with this.?$100 a month is a $100 a month, and that is what I spend in a month at OneSuite, even at 2.9c/min...?If she can call me free...?

But I would need to know it works fairly well...

178075[/snapback]

I have Voneage, which I have been very successful with for over a year. But I still often have $60-$75 phone bills from calling China. Before Voneage, my bills were $200-300! But I just looked over that iTalkBB service and I think it looks very good. I will probably try it. I like that it gives you a Chinese number so your SO can call you for free. It will cost you 2 cents per minute but that is nothing. I pay 6 cents with Voneage when I call her and she must call me regular long distance. This way, I can call her for free and she can call me free to her and 2 cents a minute charged to me. I know she will like that. You can also have her calls forwarded to your work phone while you are at work. What do you think?

194869[/snapback]

I also have Vonage, but recommend you not call direct to China unless you've picked a number that is local for your SO in China. Online calling card companies like onesuite and dynasky offer rates at or about two cents a minute....

Does Vonage allow you to pick a numbe rin China??? I have Vonage and it works good as long as yo do not need service. But I thought it was only the Northern US continent and Europe. If they added China, that would be great. Also if Vonage is in China doesn't your SO need to have broadband????

Ok once again we have volunteered as Guinea Pigs.

We just signed up for http://www.italkbb.com 's unlimited global service.

It appears to be a good deal. As soon as the package comes we will add a China number.

We enjoy our KylinTV which has great programing. Since they provided upgraded software there is much less buffering. The problem seems not to be Kylin's but rather our broadband service.

I guess more and more services will be arriving via broadband.

195657[/snapback]

Wow, I'm right behind ya Dan! I have Voneage but I'm getting ready to switch to iTalk and also get KylinTV. We can guinea pig together... hehehe. My wife is in Beijing and coveting that china phone number so she can call me anytime and keep track of me.

What is KylinTV????

Skype works just fine on DSL.

201158[/snapback]

I know, I use Skype quite often with DSL. but using VOIP as your regular phone service is quite different. I haven't been able to get a definite answer from the phone company(bellsouth). It is my understanding you need cable to use one of the phone services like Vonage. I use directtv, not cable

Your correct. To use Vonage you need high speed Cable. The only time I have trouble with Vonage it is not the Vonage but the cable Company (TWC) doing something.

Does anyone know, If I were to switch to one of these VIOP services that work in China, would I be abel to use my Lynksys Router that I now use with Vonage???

Sorry for the misspelling.

Your cable fee went up? That's wierd.

They offered to reduce the increase if I signed up for cable... I won't... I only wanted it for the internet... it is my only choice for internet.

You may want to look into Earthlink. Earthlink does not have calbe itself but you can sign up for high speed Cable with Earthlink. I did and ended up with Time Warner Cable but when signing up thorugh earthling, you get a discount. Everything for me now is TWC, but I pay the lower Earthlink monthly price.

201158[/snapback]

I know, I use Skype quite often with DSL. but using VOIP as your regular phone service is quite different. I haven't been able to get a definite answer from the phone company(bellsouth). It is my understanding you need cable to use one of the phone services like Vonage. I use directtv, not cable

Your correct. To use Vonage you need high speed Cable. The only time I have trouble with Vonage it is not the Vonage but the cable Company (TWC) doing something.

Does anyone know, If I were to switch to one of these VIOP services that work in China, would I be abel to use my Lynksys Router that I now use with Vonage???

I have a lynksys router and it works fine with Ibtalk... I/Btalk and Vonage both use a linksys voip box.... why not just transfer to ibtalk, it is cool... my wife calls me from her cell and her home phone and it is free. I guess she does have to pay for her cell phone usage, but not long distance because they call a china number, not your home number.

Additionally, my wife went to Nanning from Behai last week and I called her and she called me also and the reception was fine, just like a regular phone.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

201158[/snapback]

I have a lynksys router and it works fine with Ibtalk... I/Btalk and Vonage both use a linksys voip box.... why not just transfer to ibtalk, it is cool... my wife calls me from her cell and her home phone and it is free. I guess she does have to pay for her cell phone usage, but not long distance because they call a china number, not your home number.

Additionally, my wife went to Nanning from Behai last week and I called her and she called me also and the reception was fine, just like a regular phone.

Well the lady I am talking to just gave me her address but has not given me her phone number. When we get to the number, I will look at IBTalk.

Thanks for the info.

201158[/snapback]

Well the lady I am talking to just gave me her address but has not given me her phone number. When we get to the number, I will look at IBTalk.

Thanks for the info.

Just go to http://italkbb.com and do some reading.

Italk is in cahoots with China Telecom and have a sweetheart deal. The chinese government is working against VOIP providers, except italk. Dan R put a bunch of us onto it and frankly I think it is great. It is the only phone I have in the house. My wife can call China for free as well as her friend in Belgium who just moved to Australia. IT FREE! She also has a local China phone number that her family can call - as a local call - and get to us anytime.

Ask Vonage if they can do the same.

Oh, I agree with you. When it gets to the point where we are calling each other I will go Italk. But for now.....