A VoIP Phone Company

The only thing that really stops me from getting the VOIP phone is the fact you need a cable high speed connection. I currently have DSL.

201065[/snapback]

Mosy VOIP services will work with DSL

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew
The only thing that really stops me from getting the VOIP phone is the fact you need a cable high speed connection. I currently have DSL.

201065[/snapback]

Mosy VOIP services will work with DSL

201141[/snapback]

You might be confusing the carrier of your DSL service with VoIP. While services like Skype offer VoIP communication over the internet, most use the free version, which does not allow you to dial a number and speak to someone over your hand-held telephone.

With high-speed connections popping up more and more in the US, some smart folk figured out a way to use their internet connections from one computer to another so that they could talk to someone. To do so, all you need is are speakers and a microphone connected to your PC. You can then speak to someone using a service like Skype, Google talk, MSN, or Yahoo, being the most popular. All these services allow communcation via the protocol Voice Over IP (VoIP).

Now, there is also another breed of telephone communications that are using that same VoIP technology to enable users to call one another with their home telephone. Yes, you dial their number, it rings, and they answer in the same way that it works on you current home or cellular telephone. Some companies that are offering this technology are Vonage, and many of your local cable television providers. All that's needed is a high-speed internet connection and a telephone to plug into the box they provide.

DSL is a high-speed internet connection, but you must understand that DSL is brought into your home by your telephone company using standard telephone wires through your telephone box. Most cancel their current home telephone company that provides both their home telephone and DSL service before getting a VoIP telephone service like Vonage. Though you can use DSL to make the VoIP connection, you would be paying for two telephone services. Therefore, most choose to order broadband internet service through their local cable television provider when they are switching to VoIP for their home telephone service.

A little clarification ... while Skype provides a great free computer to computer communications capability it can also be used computer to cell/regular phone (2 cents/minute) and you can get a dial in number where people can call you on your computer from a regualr telphone ($30/yr). Skype also offers voice mail.

• 3 weeks later...

only thing is it would not be ideal to have dsl if your running VoIP due to the fact you would need a phone line if your running dsl...

so depending on your cable company would depend on whether you go VoIP or not

only thing is it would not be ideal to have dsl if your running VoIP due to the fact you would need a phone line if your running dsl...

206069[/snapback]

iTalkBB is working fine. I was recently in another state to visit my family. I forwarded all calls to my mo0thers home. When my wife called me, it rang there... and it was a free local call for her. Love it!!!!

206069[/snapback]

iTalkBB is working fine. I was recently in another state to visit my family. I forwarded all calls to my mo0thers home. When my wife called me, it rang there... and it was a free local call for her. Love it!!!!

206163[/snapback]

bellsouth and all the other major phone companies i think will have there hands full trying to compete with these prices....

even AT&Ts vonage is like 3 times the price of the little guys

ie

iTalkBB... Lingo... etc etc

206069[/snapback]

206163[/snapback]

bellsouth and all the other major phone companies i think will have there hands full trying to compete with these prices....

ie

206167[/snapback]

I can call 23 countries for free. That alone is great. But my wife can call me for free because I have a Beijing phone number. That is more than great. And when I go to work, I put a forward in to my work number (or any other number) and she can call me there for free. That is astounding! $24 per month... no extras, no taxes, no fees.

206069[/snapback]

206163[/snapback]

ie

206167[/snapback]

I can call 23 countries for free. That alone is great. But my wife can call me for free because I have a Beijing phone number. That is more than great. And when I go to work, I put a forward in to my work number (or any other number) and she can call me there for free. That is astounding! $24 per month... no extras, no taxes, no fees.

206180[/snapback]

yes that is great....

so you get 2 phone numbers?

lingo offers any phone number anywhere also...

but i thought if i had a beijing number and someone tried to call me they might have some large charge :)

man ill never call him again....

ill show those adverisment callers ;)

• 3 weeks later...

italkbb fixed the incoming problem we had. It turns out that it wasn't their problem at all. It was a problem with the linksys router. Finally with my wife (speaking Chinese) me (able to understand the computer instructions) one tech speaking English and two in Chinese the problem is no more and our phone works fine. For all those that follow this official CFL guinea pig be aware that not all routers support voip. There is however a patch or upgrade on the linksys website to correct it. My router is a version 5 (v5). If anyone has this problem I can now walk you through it.

With italkbb you select the number you want by area code. This would allow you to have a local phone number for family in another U.S. area code. You also get a Chinese 17951 number. This is like our 800 numbers whivch do not charge the caller for long distance. The 17951 numbers are Voip special phone numbers.

Since you can forward your calls, your SO in China or family members can call you toll free anywhere in the U.S. You can also take your adapter with you while traveling, plug into a dsl or cable router and a phone to use your line anywhere. With the calling history you have proof of communication as evidence when needed. Gee I still can't believe we can stop gathering evidence.

Now that we resolved the only problem we had I may soon cancel the old land line. THis would mean that at less than my regular land line's monthly bill we have unlimited two way calls with China in addition to all service the phone company provides.

Mark how are incoming calls? The problem I had with the router sometimes caused the busy signals and a few wrong numbers. It works great now. I'll try it for the next month or so before giving up the land line which costs $8.00 more a month without long distance calls.

Skype works just fine on DSL.

201158[/snapback]

I know, I use Skype quite often with DSL. but using VOIP as your regular phone service is quite different. I haven't been able to get a definite answer from the phone company(bellsouth). It is my understanding you need cable to use one of the phone services like Vonage. I use directtv, not cable

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

ie

206167[/snapback]

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I am current paying $30 a month for ATT Callvantage VOIP. Vonage (which is not part of ATT) with less features is $25. 3x is not adding up.

That being said, I am watching to how italkbb works out for others. Also, I am going to see how long before they get features that I have now have like auto-forwarding if adapter goes down, customer service, and few other things they say are coming like:

E-911

Anonymous Call Rejection

Caller ID Blocking

Distinctive Ring

Do Not Disturb

Last Number Redial

Speed Dial 8 & Speed Dial 100

Call Notify

Voice Mail

Call Return

Voice Mail Distribution Lists