A VoIP Phone Company

Ok once again we have volunteered as Guinea Pigs.

We just signed up for http://www.italkbb.com 's unlimited global service.

It appears to be a good deal. As soon as the package comes we will add a China number.

We enjoy our KylinTV which has great programing. Since they provided upgraded software there is much less buffering. The problem seems not to be Kylin's but rather our broadband service.

I guess more and more services will be arriving via broadband.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok once again we have volunteered as Guinea Pigs.

We just signed up for http://www.italkbb.com 's unlimited global service.

It appears to be a good deal. As soon as the package comes we will add a China number.

We enjoy our KylinTV which has great programing. Since they provided upgraded software there is much less buffering. The problem seems not to be Kylin's but rather our broadband service.

I guess more and more services will be arriving via broadband.

195657[/snapback]

Wow, I'm right behind ya Dan! I have Voneage but I'm getting ready to switch to iTalk and also get KylinTV. We can guinea pig together... hehehe. My wife is in Beijing and coveting that china phone number so she can call me anytime and keep track of me.

Several companies I found offer numbers in Hong Kong (HK). This is because they have no authorization to do so in China proper. italkbb seems to be the first. They are specificly set up to serve the Chinese American community and have offices in China. Your SOs can set it up from the Chinese language site. Like KylinTv and Soyodo Book Stores this is a Chinese owned company with the purpose of making life easier overseas. This is a new development of business catering to the needs of overseas Chinese as China assumes a greater international role and conforms with WTO membership.

The italk modem arrived today. It only took a minute to setup on the router I have and plug in my old phone. Calls are clear. Just takes getting use to putting in all numbers with the area code. Even those in our own area code.

Can't wait to start giving out the China number we got with it.

The italk modem arrived today. It only took a minute to setup on the router I have and plug in my old phone. Calls are clear. Just takes getting use to putting in all numbers with the area code. Even those in our own area code.

197555[/snapback]

We're thinking of subscribing to italkBB too. Does this service support 911 calls or do you need to keep your local number for that? Also, I assume it doesn't work if there is a power outage.

Thanks,

Peter

197555[/snapback]

We're thinking of subscribing to italkBB too. Does this service support 911 calls or do you need to keep your local number for that? Also, I assume it doesn't work if there is a power outage.

Thanks,

Peter

197687[/snapback]

They provide 411 and 911. So far used 2 hours of talk time. You can monitor your account on the website. It gives a call history also for those that will want calling records for GUZ.

It would work even in an outage if you add a battery back up. But I wasn't worried about that since I would probably use my cell anyway. Remember if you have a phone that needs a power source like most today the land line doesn't work either.

I emailed out the China number and am real curious how that incoming China line will work.

If someone is interested in trying italk would you mind giving our referral number. It would give us credit on the monthly charge. You know compensation for being guinea pig :banned: just give them referral BB#8991032067. Thanks :yahoo:

197555[/snapback]

Thanks,

Peter

197687[/snapback]

They provide 411 and 911. So far used 2 hours of talk time. You can monitor your account on the website. It gives a call history also for those that will want calling records for GUZ.

It would work even in an outage if you add a battery back up. But I wasn't worried about that since I would probably use my cell anyway. Remember if you have a phone that needs a power source like most today the land line doesn't work either.

I emailed out the China number and am real curious how that incoming China line will work.

If someone is interested in trying italk would you mind giving our referral number. It would give us credit on the monthly charge. You know compensation for being guinea pig :P just give them referral BB#8991032067. Thanks :)

197736[/snapback]

I ordered iTalkBB two days ago and I'm waiting for the package. My wife is excited that she will be able to call me anytime she wants. I also ordered KylinTV. I will let you know how well it works.

It looks like there are some bugs in the system. For some reason I can't receive calls from cell phones. I have emailed customer support three days ago but no answer. My first problem was answered and corrected within 8 hours. I also have waited on the phone for 20 minutes for tech support but haven't gotten through.

I suspect this is probably all do to too rapid expansion. I hope this gets resolved quickly as it makes the phone almost useless for incoming calls.

I will keep you informed.

197555[/snapback]

Thanks,

Peter

197687[/snapback]

If someone is interested in trying italk would you mind giving our referral number. It would give us credit on the monthly charge. You know compensation for being guinea pig ;) just give them referral BB#8991032067. Thanks ;)

197736[/snapback]

I ordered iTalkBB two days ago and I'm waiting for the package. My wife is excited that she will be able to call me anytime she wants. I also ordered KylinTV. I will let you know how well it works.

197819[/snapback]

Tom, how did this work out for you?

197555[/snapback]

Thanks,

Peter

197687[/snapback]

If someone is interested in trying italk would you mind giving our referral number. It would give us credit on the monthly charge. You know compensation for being guinea pig :king: just give them referral BB#8991032067. Thanks :king:

197736[/snapback]

197819[/snapback]

Tom, how did this work out for you?

200507[/snapback]

Hi, I got my iTalk phone modem last week and it workds great. There were some problems initally. The failed to give me a local phone number. Their support department is very bad with almost no one who speaks english. But once I managed to get a semi-english person on the phone, the problem was resolved.My wife now calls me whenever she pleases and when I go to work I put on the call forwarding so she can call me at work.

The KylinTV is also great although I don't speak Chinese. I was relatively simple to hook up and you get all broadcast stations in

China as well as first run movies. A first run movie will cost you $1.00. Other movies are free. Between the telephone and KylinTV, I feel like I have China right here at home. It will be great when my wife comes, as she will be able to watch her regular tv shows and talk to her mom anytime she wants.

The only thing that really stops me from getting the VOIP phone is the fact you need a cable high speed connection. I currently have DSL.

201065[/snapback]

I thought any broadband connection worked with VoIP. Have you looked at Broadvoice.com ? You need a router.