Randy W

That is what is great about China. They have the same service here. You can pick things up outside of major stores by parking in a special zone for that or you can have someone do your shopping for you and bring it to your house but around here they charge about 20% for that. I can't interest the wife in any of that. I would really love to keep her butt out of those stores. Even with it being the law to wear a mask here only about 50% wear one. Most of these rednecks think it is a hoax perpetrated by the government. Our state is one of the top states for the virus but we have been lucky in our county as we only have 137 active cases right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Find a color you like yet? They've drained and refilled the pool twice in the last few days. This is as clear as it's gotten.

gallery_1846_744_2140253.jpg

From the weather bureau - they did get out of the pool for about 10 minutes

According to the weather forecast: Typhoon No. 7 "Haigaos" will enter our city on the afternoon of the 19th, please pay attention to the general public security precautions. Yulin City Emergency Management Authority.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Wish you well Randy, I know the mountains will take the fight out of most of it.

That 10 minute break was pretty much it. We had one hurricane (typhoon here) pass overhead a few years back - damage in the mountains to the east and to the west all the way to Nanning, but little to speak of here in Yulin. That is supposedly the only time hurricane force winds have made it this far inland.

The mountains break them up immediately as they come ashore. I watched the satellite images as a "storm of the century" typhoon came ashore a few years back. You could see the outline of the coast in the shape of the typhoon where it didn't survive. Jesse was in Guangzhou at the time, and said that people there were completely unconcerned.

Hong Kong has a long track record of some pretty severe typhoons, though, which I've posted about.

I just found out tonight that there are two in our strike zone but number one is most likely to go into the Gulf. The second one not so much. Our local weatherman says he thinks that the second one will cut across the southern tip of Florida and go into the Gulf too. BUT he is seldom right. He is a transplant from Virginia and doesn't know much about hurricanes. Other forecasts for it say it will skirt the east coast about 100 miles offshore but here is the kicker they are predicting it will have 240 MPH winds when it gets off the shore of North Carolina. Gonna be watching that one really close. Just bought a whole house generator and it is still in the garage in its box. It that 240 MPH one comes in here we won't need a generator. We will need a new house and everything that goes with it.

• Like 1

This is our ~quarterly property services bill. It does not include parking, which is billed separately every 6 months or 1 year at about $4.25USD per month.

On the bill, the first column after the dates is for one month, times # of months (either 4 or 5) for the next column.

These fees come to about $38USD per month.

The bill is on the left, with a Google translate of the 'items' column on the right.

gallery_1846_744_1495813.jpg

I just found out tonight that there are two in our strike zone but number one is most likely to go into the Gulf. The second one not so much. Our local weatherman says he thinks that the second one will cut across the southern tip of Florida and go into the Gulf too. BUT he is seldom right. He is a transplant from Virginia and doesn't know much about hurricanes. Other forecasts for it say it will skirt the east coast about 100 miles offshore but here is the kicker they are predicting it will have 240 MPH winds when it gets off the shore of North Carolina. Gonna be watching that one really close. Just bought a whole house generator and it is still in the garage in its box. It that 240 MPH one comes in here we won't need a generator. We will need a new house and everything that goes with it.

The latest update on the predicted terrible storm has it going into the Gulf of Mexico. Hope that holds true.

• 4 months later...
On 3/31/2020 at 9:03 PM, Randy W said:

well, Jiaying decided she wanted a new phone. 5G, and a Samsung.. So she bought a Note 10 for ¥7500, against my advice. That's WAY more phone than she'll ever use at 256GB and will run rings around my S8 at 64GB + a 64GB SD card. Well, it's a good one. Hope she enjoys it.

That phone was lost to a thief within a couple of weeks. We don't know if it was stolen, or misplaced - retracing her steps didn't leave much of an opportunity for either, but either way, whoever picked it up, turned it off and kept it.

So she made do with her old Oppo until a couple of days ago. She bought a second Note 10, this one at ¥4500 (a close-out at the Samsung store). Seems she really likes the thing. Sigh. I may have to upgrade my S8 to a S20 just to keep up.

• 3 weeks later...

Randy, I was poking through this topic earlier (made it through the first 15 pages or so) and this is some phenomenal stuff.  Seems like you have quite a nice life over there and these pictures make me nostalgic for the time I spent in Zhanjiang with my wife. Sorry to hear of the health issues, I hope everything turns out okay in the end. Hopefully 15 years down the road my wife and I will be able to follow a similar path to yours' and you wife's, but who knows with all these rapid changes going on.

Edited by Barfus (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...