Holding on to the Dream

Feathers268

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'm not suggesting in any sense that money would ever make up for the time. It's the only thing that can be given to them... along with the name in tact.

I understood what you meant. I wasn't attacking what you said, only thinking of how I might feel in that situation,

They say that LAdy Justice is blind. that works both way

On another note, crazies are everywhere.

Target Jews for hate filled rallies

Oh My God!

It Gets worse !!

I work closely with Muslims everyday. But most Americans don't. I fear for my friends and my neighbors.

This is different from racism. Kind of like the Japanese after Pearl Harbor, it wasn't fair, but who wanted to take chances?

It's sad, a whole race(Muslims) are feared because of actions of crazies who have no regards for innocent people. I know some people thoughts are kill them all and let God sort them out. :ph34r:

This is a very complicated world we live in.

Why can't we go back to the times when the Beaver was on the tube and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich was acceptable for lunch?

Star Trek had some interesting and thought provoking episodes. I remember one where there was a world that people's face was half black and half white - right down the middle, left and right. Of course, the other 'race' had the colors reversed. And they held extreme hatred for each other, both sides trying to kill off the other.

Sometimes I'm reminded of that episode when I read/see/hear about certain incidents. Frankly, I'm disgusted by it.

Even though I was born and raised in lilly-white PDX, I can remember having black friends all the way back to my childhood. I never understood racism until I got into the Army. There, I joined in the with black guys over in Germany and was accepted. I had white friends, too, but the point is, it never made any difference to me. When anyone from the 'outside' joined a group I was in, I would make a point to welcome them. Didn't matter who they were because people are people are people.

Anyway, I wanted to recount that Star Trek episode to see if anyone else remembers it. It does fit the subject of this thread.

I remember that all the wa to the point when Enterprise made it to their home world to find that everyone had been killed by their hatred. I recently saw an episode of Star Trek Enterprise where a religious group found anyone not following their belief as heritics. End result was the same.

Hate is taught....when i went to visit a Russian girl that i was writing to,before i met my wife.I got to see first hand what it will do to you,when hate is taught to you ,see my Russian friend was muslim,she was the sweetest woman i ever met(beside my wife)until you brought up the word "Jews" and at times i thought i would have to call in a priest to perform an exorcism,for real thats how ugly she became,the hate she would spew,was frightening.see,she was taught at a young age to hate the jews,and she carrys this hate with her today.When I was growing up,my parents said the "N" word,but when i became a father,i taught my son to love others,all races.I live here in the South,there is still Racism,but in my opinion i think it has gotten better,unfortunetly,we will never rid the world of hate,it is a nice ideal,but hate will always be here.Teach our children not to hate,by being an example is a place to start.

jimi

You make a good point Jimi. Most Chinese I know hate Japanese. None of them are old enough to remember WW-2 so I must conclude that the hatred is taught. While I agree that the government of Japan could do more to make amends I also feel it is wrong to hate a whole group of people just because of their nationality.

Most Chinese I know hate Japanese. None of them are old enough to remember WW-2 so I must conclude that the hatred is taught.

My wife is from a small city in South China, I would have to say I don't see the same thing. My wife doesn't think anything about it,no emotions on the matter. Her son doesn't even know. I don't think they are taught it in school. OF course in the bigger cities that is probably not the case. Especially cities like Shanghai and Beijing where a lot of the horrors happened at the hands of the Japanese. Nanjing is very close to Shanghai I beleive. I beleive the other Chinese woman I was associated with did have some very serious feelings against Japanese.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

For the most part Hate and racism is taught and learned most as children but not always. Like the old song and what Jimi says "teach your children well" I think is the only way out of it. Of course there are parents that teach them to hate and racism so the cycle will continue.

The first visit to my in-laws home father turned on the TV and turned the channel to an old movie showing the most terrible things in black and white news reels of what the Japanese did to China. Mom came in and turned the channel and said that she did not think that this was something that we should be watching.

Larry

edit: I must add that my wife does not feel this way about the Japanese.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

When talking about racism, I think only the minorities have the final say whether there is or not.

I read from Newspaper about the opportunities of percentage of employment among different races who have the same type of college degree and the result is stunning: 80% whites, 40% blacks, 30% Latinos, and only 20% of Asians. And what does that tell you?

But we cant blame American, American government or anybody for the existing racism.

Because I dont think there will ever be a solution to racism unless taking the following measures:

Put all the whites in one country, blacks in one country, Asians in another...My point is when there is only one race in one country, then racism will disappear automatically.But theoritically, that is impossible.

So why bother begin this topic about racism? It is there and will always be there. I think for our minorities, the right attitude is take it and dont think too much about it. Or like the other guys said before: If you dont like it, go back to your own country.

Edited by milan08 (see edit history)
So why bother begin this topic about racism? It is there and will always be there. I think for our minorities, the right attitude is take it and dont think too much about it. Or like the other guys said before: If you dont like it, go back to your own country.

Racism is a human problem and you can't ignore the 600 pound gorilla in the room. You say it is up to the minorities to decide, but how do you define a minority. In California, if you combined the minorties into one group, whites would be the minority. Soon, the hispanic population will out number the white population in California so what then? Or if you look at certain cities, you will see different ethnic populations. So what then?

You also have to be carefull of looking at raw percentages reported. Does it account what number of each group had graduated with that certain degree? If only 2% of black people even enter that course of study, they could have a 100% hire rate but not show highly compared to the shear number of other groups who have taken that course of study. You could look at the NBA or NFL. What is the ethnic make up of most teams? It is skewed the way it is due to the talent coming into the league. If you look at hockey, or baseball, again, the etnic make up is diferent. I think it is more due to what sports kids are playing and reaching the level needed to play professionally. Sure, there can be cases of racism in the work place, but not always.

Segregation is absolutely the wrong answer. Our diversity is one of our strengths in America. The reason most of us adapted to China so well is because of the consiousness raised from being able to experience facets of each culture right here n the US. Much of the food you eat that has come from California, is thanks to the efforts of Chinese immigrants taming the Delta, experience they got from southern China.

So, why did I "bother" to start this thread? Because problems only remain that as long as people choose to ignor them. In many cases, the status quo is NOT aceptable. It is the American way to speak up and be counted. In my opinion, if you are not willing to stand up for what you believe and be heard, you have no business being American. We want citizens, not subjects. The second I started this topic, I PMed Charles, because I knew he could bring a different point of view from mine here in CA. I knew I might not agree with everything he said, nor he would with me, but that does not change my respect for him or anyone else here. I knew this topic would not be easy, but the best things in life are not easy. It takes work but the end result it worth the effort. THAT is the American way.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

I guess I am jes an ol dum redneck but I don't understand jes what different color folks gots to do with racism. I used to be a racist and wuz every chance I got. That is until I crashed my car into a telephone pole (still won the race :ph34r: ) and I didn't have enough money to buy a new one. Yep I remember the good ol days where many folks would comes to the self-made drag street out in the country and weze would light up the streets with the smell of rubber a burnin and then havin to run from the poleeece. Man racism shore wuz fun. :ph34r:

"...Especially cities like Shanghai and Beijing where a lot of the horrors happened at the hands of the Japanese. Nanjing is very close to Shanghai I beleive. I beleive the other Chinese woman I was associated with did have some very serious feelings against Japanese...."

Yes, NewDay, you have identified some hot spots in China for residual hatred of the Japanese, but the whole occupation was so brutal, that all except the most remote areas were affected.

One (early in the war) incident that involved the US was Doolittle's raid--- to bomb Tokyo in April of 1942-----5 months after Pearl Harbor. We have all seen the movies, and its a matter of patriotic pride for Americans, to at least, let the Japanese know--hey, we're coming back...

But what was even more remarkable---and untold in the West------remember, ALL of those air crews ran out of gas, and crash landed in China (with one exception---Russia)-----most not only survived----but made it back from behind Japanese lines, to be reunited---and for some, to fight again.

How could that be??? For only one reason: The Chinese who aided those American fliers risked EVERYTHING to help them.... About 60 US airmen were returned... But the Japanese, who had lost all face over the raid, retaliated against occupied China..... and proceeded on a pogrom of killing which took 250,000 innocent Chinese lives through out central east China.

250,000 Chinese for 60 US airmen....

It was the defining moment for many Chinese, including my Father in law... who, along with his family and village, was forced to bare witness to the ritual killing of a Chinese infant at the hands of the Japanese... He, like many Chinese teenage boys, concluded from the events which followed Doolittle's raid---join the Communists------Kill as many Japanese as possible... He was still too young, and the Party kept him out of combat, but the atrocities committed by the Japanese in China, moved a generation...

As China is about to celebrate its 60th perhaps its worth remembering: China loved the US in WW2...

It gave its own citizens to save American fliers, and the National Anthem of China isn't about the glories of Communism, or defeating the west--------its about uniting China to overthrow the brutal Japanese occupation....