Holding on to the Dream

Feathers268

Charles, no doubt there are died-in-the-wool racists here in the good 'ol USA. The ones in the news are mostly black men screaming and pointing fingers. The rightwingnuts like Rush and Beck, et al are wackos simply trying to raise hell. Hard to believe anyone with a working brain pays any attention to them.

A guy I know with a Chinese wife told me that OB would never be president. Frankly, I'd prefer Hillary over him, but that's because I don't think she would have been as extreme policy wise. I could holler that he is a racist, but he does hire blacks and Mexicans because they are good workers for his business. Hard for me to call him a racist, but maybe someone else could - and would.

As I said, racism is out there in the wild. But I don't think it is nearly as prevalent as some claim. I would point to Jackson and Sharpton as examples of racists. That's all they think about.

It's interesting looking at the four names listed here, I think of another term, prejudice. It is very easy to make assumtions about certain people bases on "common" beliefs often propigated by people who really haven't had first hand experience of a situation and gladly continue a stereotype. Jackson and Sharpton, I don't see as racist, but rather opportunist. When something happens that throws race into a national spotlight, they show up getting themselves on TV pulling out the race card to help make thier name and identity. With Limbaugh and Beck, you get the same thing. I've stopped listening to a lot of that radio because I think that the conservative radio croud has started reaching a bit and sounding to me a loopy as the left did against Bush. Puting that aside, I've seen where the mainstream had gone out of their way to demonise Limbaugh taking him out of context and running him out with a smile just because of who he is. Example, a few years ago, Rush was on ESPN talking football before game time on Sunday mornings. The conversation was about Donovan McNabb and why the Eagles offence wasn't living up to expectations. Limbaugh's comment was that he thought the MEDIA was so wanting a black QB to do good, that they were padding the actual tallent that the Eagles QB had and maybe he wasn't as good as they say. End result, Limbaugh is out because he is an obvious racist. What is not said, Michael Irvine said,"He's probably right" to Rush's comment. Far too often, I think the media will play this sort of thing up, because conflict spawns ratings and if you can fit the template of who should be racist, all the better.

I can give you another example. Just recently, Kanye West interupts Taylor Swift's acceptance speech for an award for her video saying that Beyonce's video was the best of all time. Now everyone, including the President called it a "jack ass" move, but, what if the roles were reversed. What if it was Beyonce being interupted by, say, Clint Black saying that Taylor Swift's video better. Would Clint Black just be a jack ass, or would he be racist?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read any objective books about the Civil War but until I do I agree with you Charles. I don't think that the Civil War was so much about slavery as the north had slaves as well. I kind of agree that it was about money.

The Civil War was a long time ago it does look as though the hatchet could be buried. My father was in WW II and until the day he died he hated Japanese and German people.

Larry

Most peope have thier own outlook on life. We tend to see life from thier own experiences and vantage points in life. Some have known black people from a far, some have known them intimately as far as sharing time, meals and lives together. My vantage point that differs from probably 99% or more of the population on CFL is I saw being BIA from the inside looking out.

I guess everyone has their own opinion and outlook on situations. Some see Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson as racist, some see them as opportunist. I see them as leaders who are well respected in the Black Community, to say otherwise is insensitive and probably disrespectful to others.

Personally, I've listened to Mr Sharpton since in my 20's living in NYC. I have always viewed him with high esteem as a voice for Black people when there was no voice and he continues to do so quite eloquently. He is very articulate and knowlegable when expressing his views and opinions. I beleive he speaks the truth. I do understand that many don't like to hear the truth as has been the history in this country.

Mr. Jackson, he stood on the balcony with Dr. King moments before he was killed at the age of 39. Mr Jackson, while he is old school, I respect what he says. In no case have I ever heard either of these men utter racial slurs. They speak in regards to inequality and unfairness towards people of color. Yes, they go to places where injustice is and they voice thier opinions which usually is supported by many involved in the particular situation. Case in Point... the Jena 6.. where Mr Sharpton went to help and support and highlight the injustice.

Six black students at Jena High School in Central Louisiana were arrested last December(2007) after a school fight in which a white student was beaten and suffered a concussion and multiple bruises. The six black students were charged with attempted murder and conspiracy. They face up to 100 years in prison without parole. The fight took place amid mounting racial tension after a black student sat under a tree in the schoolyard where only white students sat. The next day three nooses were hanging from the tree.

I might add that this student attended a party later that evening after being severely beaten. ;)

Here is the difinition of racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

I don't feel Mr Jackson or Mr Sharpton exhibit any of these qualites or traits. The problem with them is truth and many people feel uncomfortable with truth when it is put in thier face.

Some people still talk about Mr Obama becoming president of the United States. It's over, the Election was over a year ago. I never voted for Reagan or either of the Bushs, I got over it.

Racism is difficult to uncover or deal with in America... it is not just about being Black or White... it deals with being Chinese, Korean, Spanish or whatever ethnic group. I never understood why they opened thier own businesses so much and tended to only deal with thier own people... I understand now that if you are not born in America, it is difficult to get the opportunites. I'm not saying that is racism, just a fact.

I can remember talking with a Man I worked with over 20 years ago at Irving Trust company in NYC, his name was Pete, he was Ukrainian and Spanish. He looked like a White guy, but he had a very stropng accent. I rememeber having a conversation with him about prejudice once. I told him the difference with him and I going for a job interview is if he and I went to a job interview, he wouldn't be pre-judged

as I would just from sight.

Really, in my 51 years I have learned a lot about life. I'm still learning.

When I was young(1960's), I didn't know about race because I wasn't taught about it at home.. I didn't hear watch out for White people, they will hurt you by saying bad things to you or beating you, when I began going to intergrated schools in NYC I soon found how people treated me very bad.

Years ago when I was young, I didn't like white people as a whole because of how I was treated and dealt with. I didn't hate anyone and I definetly didn't feel I was supieor.I didn't feel this way about everyone that was white, but I expected them to treat me badly as so many had. I rememeber going on a class trip to China town and I was being picked on and this little girl in the class, her name was Diane... she screamed leave Charles alone. I never forgot that feeling that someone actually cared to speak up for me. The bigger and stronger I became, people tended to leave me alone when I was younger.

I beleive that life is an involving thing if you allow yourself. Many have changed in life. That is good. Some have not and I pray for them. I have many friends who I share my personal life with who are white now. They have helped me and I have done the same for them.

Everyone will have thier opinions and thoughs on Race. All I can do is teach my Kids to love God,themselves and treat people with respect no matter who they are. I can't change the world, nor anyone here. but we can try to shape our lives in a positive way or a negative way. I choose to go the high road.

I'm married to a Chinese woman. We accept and love each other for what we bring to each other... Love and Respect. That's really all the world needs is Love. The Beatles can fade in now. :huh:

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

NewDay2006, I wish I knew you well enough to call you by your name (Are you Charles?) Your post was well put, and after reading it, I feel I cannot really add anything of significant value.

I live on the outskirts of Wuhan (mainland), where most people are older have never reached any level of higher education (although I'm not certain that that makes a huge difference).

During my time here, I have noticed people looking at me strangely, often making what they feel are innocent comments. At first it did bother me, because of my personality, I really didn't like being signaled out. As somewhat of an introvert, I prefer to live quietly and try to not draw attention to myself (or to do safely behind a computer :huh: ).

Before I continue, please let me say this: I believe Chinese people, for the most part, are a kind and genuine people (most of us here would probably agree on this ;) ), but every now-and-then there are people that I come across, mostly when I'm walking down the street holding my wife's hand, that are less than civil. Being Caucasian, it was new for me being the minority in a sea of Chinese, and it was disheartening being the subject of such words (concerning race and nationality), especially in front of my wife.

I'm thankful for my time in China. It has forced me to reexamine my own culture through the eyes of someone who faced issues of rejection solely based on the color of their skin. Again, I must state that whatever I have gone though, in no way touches the extent of what many Afro-Americans face (or have faced) in the US, but it did give me a little insight to the problem, although better than 60 years ago, still plagues our country today.

In my opinion, Americans all too often make fleeting comments, which may be socially acceptable, but still have an undertone that suggests inequality. This is a shame.

My parents both raised me to have respect for people of all races. Although my negative instances in China have been few-and-far in between, I feel that my mind has been sharpened to identify with the problem that still exists, even in my hometown.

I admit, after reading the wealth of good comments on this thread, I feel somewhat inadequate in posting my thoughts. It's just my two cents, when in actuality many only be worth half that. Thank you to the OP for opening this discussion,as it has been thought-provoking in many ways.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

NewDay2006, I wish I knew you well enough to call you by your name (Are you Charles?) Your post was well put, and after reading it, I feel I cannot really add anything of significant value.

I live on the outskirts of Wuhan (mainland), where most people are older have never reached any level of higher education (although I'm not certain that that makes a huge difference).

During my time here, I have noticed people looking at me strangely, often making what they feel are innocent comments. At first it did bother me, because of my personality, I really didn't like being signaled out. As somewhat of an introvert, I prefer to live quietly and try to not draw attention to myself (or to do safely behind a computer :) ).

Before I continue, please let me say this: I believe Chinese people, for the most part, are a kind and genuine people (most of us here would probably agree on this :) ), but every now-and-then there are people that I come across, mostly when I'm walking down the street holding my wife's hand, that are less than civil. Being Caucasian, it was new for me being the minority in a sea of Chinese, and it was disheartening being the subject of such words (concerning race and nationality), especially in front of my wife.

I'm thankful for my time in China. It has forced me to reexamine my own culture through the eyes of someone who faced issues of rejection solely based on the color of their skin. Again, I must state that whatever I have gone though, in no way touches the extent of what many Afro-Americans face (or have faced) in the US, but it did give me a little insight to the problem, although better than 60 years ago, still plagues our country today.

In my opinion, Americans all too often make fleeting comments, which may be socially acceptable, but still have an undertone that suggests inequality. This is a shame.

My parents both raised me to have respect for people of all races. Although my negative instances in China have been few-and-far in between, I feel that my mind has been sharpened to identify with the problem that still exists, even in my hometown.

I admit, after reading the wealth of good comments on this thread, I feel somewhat inadequate in posting my thoughts. It's just my two cents, when in actuality many only be worth half that. Thank you to the OP for opening this discussion,as it has been thought-provoking in many ways.

KJJ, it's ok,I'm Charles, have been for a very long time.

I understand your feelings when in China, I have like many here have felt the same. Because of my size(6'4" over 250 ;) ) , I have gotten a lot of attention. Mostly it has been all good. I actually like the attention. I like China and I identify with Chinese people in many things now.

I thought you did quite well in your post. It's good to have a youngblood on the site. Keep up the good work. We are here for you.

As far as the state of the country, While nothing is perfect, I have seen tremendous change in my lifetime. No need to be specific, but I do feel good about change in others and myself. God is good!!

I will give one specific. I have lived in Georgia since 1991. I have worked in Nothern Fulton County since then, across the street from Forsyth County. Forsyth County was on the Ophra Winfrey show about 20 or more years ago, They were having massive protests of not wanting Black people to live or do business in the County. At the time it was very undeveloped farm country.... Today, it has grown very much and I referee football and most of my H.S. games are in Forsyth County and I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that the past situation has changed as there are people of color in this area.

People and times changes. Most people no matter what color or race are scared or resistant to change... ask my kids when it comes to me taking on new ideas.. "isn't wasn't that way when I was a kid" :huh:

As far as you being introverted, get out and meet the people, they want to know you better also. That is something I always loved to do when in China.

will tell a quick think about something that happened when in the early days of our relationship.

I was talking to my wife for a while and I guess when my then girlfriend spoke of us getting serious, she told me about her friends.

Evidently, there was a white guy from the US who met one of her friends... her friend didn't speak much english then so my wife helped them alot and since then they became good friends, they eventually married and she moved to the US.

Anyway, one day my wife told me that the guy wanted to know if I liked white people. :o :lol: ... I must say I laughed and told her to tell him "I Love White People"... I guess he just wanted to make sure they would be welcome... we talked over the years while waiting for my wife to come and have stayed very good friends to this day.

Long story short, last year about a month after my wife and son came to the US, they called and said would visit and stay a few days at Christmas :o :unsure: .... I was a bit surprised an uneasy at first, not because of anything other than the fact they just made the plans to come and came with only 2 days notice. They came on Christmas eve and we had a really nice visit, we took them to church and I cooked a big christmas breakfast as is my custom, they stayed for about 4 days. They are supposed to come again and bring a horse(they race horses).... I put my foot down at the horse, he can't stay :huh: :lol:

Charles, you are soooo correct in saying how perspective will shape your attitudes and outlook on life. As a young kid in school, I was never the popular kid but I did find myself moving torward a croud that DID seem to be more of a racist mentality. More from the words they used than actions. I found myself hearing and repeating things that I did not understand, but today am horrified by the fact that this was from 3rd and 4th graders. Looking back now, I'm sure almost none of then knew what it was they were saying or how harmful it was.

Today, I have grown to love the United States and am proud to be one of her citizens. That is why I had asked Don about starting this forum. I'm not goint to take credit for it as he had said others were asking too so maybe my vote helped. I wanted to help our Chinese counterparts understand something about the US and what it means to be American. Hearing the truths you speak of, is hard for me because, noone likes to hear bad things spoken about their family. That being said, as great as I feel about America, it doesn't change the fact that we do have problems here and on going racism is one of them.

Thanks KJJ for your words about this post. You'll find that I usually try to do one of two things when I start a new thread. I either want to make the reader think and enter a discussion that can make us all learn a little about ourselves. Other posts, I just want to put a smile on your face. :unsure:

Thanks to everyone here for keeping this a thoughtful and polite conversation so far. I debated over a couple of days about posting thing because I figured it would have been locked or deleted when people started attacking each other. I don't know how to end racism in the US or abroad, but if more people could have an honest dialog about it, I think we could find an understanding and move past it.

Charles, you are soooo correct in saying how perspective will shape your attitudes and outlook on life. As a young kid in school, I was never the popular kid but I did find myself moving torward a croud that DID seem to be more of a racist mentality. More from the words they used than actions. I found myself hearing and repeating things that I did not understand, but today am horrified by the fact that this was from 3rd and 4th graders. Looking back now, I'm sure almost none of then knew what it was they were saying or how harmful it was.

Today, I have grown to love the United States and am proud to be one of her citizens. That is why I had asked Don about starting this forum. I'm not goint to take credit for it as he had said others were asking too so maybe my vote helped. I wanted to help our Chinese counterparts understand something about the US and what it means to be American. Hearing the truths you speak of, is hard for me because, noone likes to hear bad things spoken about their family. That being said, as great as I feel about America, it doesn't change the fact that we do have problems here and on going racism is one of them.

Thanks KJJ for your words about this post. You'll find that I usually try to do one of two things when I start a new thread. I either want to make the reader think and enter a discussion that can make us all learn a little about ourselves. Other posts, I just want to put a smile on your face. :lol:

Thanks to everyone here for keeping this a thoughtful and polite conversation so far. I debated over a couple of days about posting thing because I figured it would have been locked or deleted when people started attacking each other. I don't know how to end racism in the US or abroad, but if more people could have an honest dialog about it, I think we could find an understanding and move past it.

Honestly, I didn't look forward to this thread and was reluctant to participate at first. Race and Religion issues can be explosive topics.

I know what you mean about kidsand thier "learned" views.

I was a 6th grader at PS 120 in Flushing Queens, NY in probably 1970 and there was a little chinese kid in my class, Raymond Chen. I called Raymond a "slur" that I had heard. I didn't say it to be mean, but only repeated what I heard, stupidly. I was the biggest kid at PS 120 in the 6th grade. When I said this world to Raymond he punched be very hard in my stomach. I bent over in pain. I think Raymond expected me to beat him up. I did nothing. I knew exactly what Raymond must have felt from my ignorant statement when the pain started. I insulted him and I got what I deserved. Taught me a lesson :unsure:

Dallas County elected an African-American District Attorney and they said the sky would fall down. Like any other man, Craig Watkins has a lot going for him and some against. But one thing he did do was set up a post-conviction review in 2007. So far about 20 (or 25) men that were on life sentences or death row have been released as a result of DNA testing. The vast majority of these men are black. No DA has ever done such a thing that I know of. The DA (and state) stand firm on each and every conviction.

So the point is in here somewhere... was it racism that convicted these guys in the first place? (most were picked from a line-up by eyewitnesses .... now proven to be very unreliable) ... was it a point of proving racism on the new DAs part to do a post-conviction review?

I think it's neither one or the other. I believe that it is having a man with a different viewpoint of the law becoming The Law in Dallas County. Would a hispanic be different? Probable so.

But one thing I know for certain is that over 20 innocent men are now becoming almost millionaires (and rightfully so!) due to the behavior of the previous white DAs.

Racism or Economic Class? We know that regardless of race if you have money you get a defence. You can back off the police and the DA ... if you don't then well, take the plea bargin... Oh? You won't! Then you'll face the rath of a jury. Of course racism is still around and in 200 years you'll still find it between all races. But these days I'm more concerned about the Class division than anything else.

But one thing I know for certain is that over 20 innocent men are now becoming almost millionaires (and rightfully so!) due to the behavior of the previous white DAs.

Racism or Economic Class? We know that regardless of race if you have money you get a defence. You can back off the police and the DA ... if you don't then well, take the plea bargin... Oh? You won't! Then you'll face the rath of a jury. Of course racism is still around and in 200 years you'll still find it between all races. But these days I'm more concerned about the Class division than anything else.

I heard of one of the guys released last week. I wouldn't trade 25 years of my life for 1 million dollars. You can't get that time back.

As far a representation I agree wholeheartly with you Cuzin. I experienced major problems in court dealing with my Ex.... I didn't have a lawyer and I got the short end of the stick. Many people go to jail while innocent. Sometimes it is race, many times it has nothing to do with race, it is just poorness. :unsure: it's the world we live in ... I'm sure it happens on both sides of the fence Black or White. A Court appointed lawyer unless they are really passionate about what they do, they don't have the knowledge or ability to properly defend anyone, even themselves.

Charles I thought that I would add one more little post to express my views. In my younger days as a teenager I can say that I use to practice prejudice not to the extent of racism. I am 10 years older than you and remember the very first black students that came to my school. I think I was 15 years old. I was totally indifferent about it but of course many of my friend were not. I worked at tobacco harvesting with black people and knew many of them so how could I practice discrimination against the very friends that I had made and worked so hard with in the summer months. Mostly I just kept my mouth shut. I never called anyone the N word I can tell you that. Some of my friends did and when I was with them so I guess that I was guilty by association.

When I entered the Air Force I was relieved to see that black people were thought of and treated much better. Does racism exist in the military? Certainly.

Here is what I then adopted as my view on this matter. I treat every single person that I meet with the same respect that I want to be treated with regardless of their race or religion.

If a person comes on to me with this racist attitude then that is how I treat him as a racist no matter what his race is. I had a black man pull up at my business one day and ask my wife if her husband was a black man and she said no but how can I help you sir? His reply was as he was backing out I don't do business with white people. My wife was bewildered by this as she was not expecting it, after all this was America, and it was her first time of encountering this kind of attitude. She just did not know how to respond or reply. I simply told her that this guy just did us a favor.

Long story short. The first month that my wife spent in America she wanted to go to church and I thought I had better call several of the pastor's in our little town. Yep, just what I thought their response was that they did not know what the congregation would think. Only one came right out and said no. I am Baptist by faith but I called the local Catholic church and the father told me that everyone was welcome in God's house. He said because of the differences in our religion that he could not pray for us but we were welcome. That was 10 years ago and that is where we go to this very day. In all fairness the local Methodist church did invite us several times but the wife refused saying we will go where we were first accepted.

Larry

Charles I thought that I would add one more little post to express my views. In my younger days as a teenager I can say that I use to practice prejudice not to the extent of racism. I am 10 years older than you and remember the very first black students that came to my school. I think I was 15 years old. I was totally indifferent about it but of course many of my friend were not. I worked at tobacco harvesting with black people and knew many of them so how could I practice discrimination against the very friends that I had made and worked so hard with in the summer months. Mostly I just kept my mouth shut. I never called anyone the N word I can tell you that. Some of my friends did and when I was with them so I guess that I was guilty by association.

When I entered the Air Force I was relieved to see that black people were thought of and treated much better. Does racism exist in the military? Certainly.

Here is what I then adopted as my view on this matter. I treat every single person that I meet with the same respect that I want to be treated with regardless of their race or religion.

If a person comes on to me with this racist attitude then that is how I treat him as a racist no matter what his race is. I had a black man pull up at my business one day and ask my wife if her husband was a black man and she said no but how can I help you sir? His reply was as he was backing out I don't do business with white people. My wife was bewildered by this as she was not expecting it, after all this was America, and it was her first time of encountering this kind of attitude. She just did not know how to respond or reply. I simply told her that this guy just did us a favor.

Long story short. The first month that my wife spent in America she wanted to go to church and I thought I had better call several of the pastor's in our little town. Yep, just what I thought their response was that they did not know what the congregation would think. Only one came right out and said no. I am Baptist by faith but I called the local Catholic church and the father told me that everyone was welcome in God's house. He said because of the differences in our religion that he could not pray for us but we were welcome. That was 10 years ago and that is where we go to this very day. In all fairness the local Methodist church did invite us several times but the wife refused saying we will go where we were first accepted.

Larry

Larry good post. the story of the Black guy speaking to your wife made me think of Lafayette Alexander. A guy I knew when I was in my teens.... My mom couldn't stand him, I shouldn't have been with him, nothing good came from the relationship, but he was my friend at the time. :ph34r:

Anyway, Lafayette dropped out of HS in the 10 grade. He was 2 years older than me ... after I went off to college, and returned and was looking for work, actually I left school tried to get a job, couldn't and I returned to school for more training in the computer field. I saw Lafayette when I was about 23 or 24, my oldest son was months old, Lafayette told me he never wanted to work for "the Man"... :blink: ... I remember thinking to myself at the time, I can't wait until I can work for "The Man". That ws the last time I saw Lafayette in 1981. I got my job with "The Man" @ Irving Trust Company on Wall Street, which I stayed with for 8 years before I left NYC for good.

I heard of one of the guys released last week. I wouldn't trade 25 years of my life for 1 million dollars. You can't get that time back.

As far a representation I agree wholeheartly with you Cuzin. I experienced major problems in court dealing with my Ex.... I didn't have a lawyer and I got the short end of the stick. Many people go to jail while innocent. Sometimes it is race, many times it has nothing to do with race, it is just poorness. :ph34r: it's the world we live in ... I'm sure it happens on both sides of the fence Black or White. A Court appointed lawyer unless they are really passionate about what they do, they don't have the knowledge or ability to properly defend anyone, even themselves.

Poorness/Economically Disadvantaged/Lower Clase is pretty much the same thing. And I'm not suggesting in any sense that money would ever make up for the time. It's the only thing that can be given to them... along with the name in tact.

But there was the case of Randall Dale Adams convicted of killing a cop in Dallas. After The Thin Blue LIne was released and he had his conviction overturned. Adams had been in Dallas for work... a blue collar guy... no family here, no friends. An easy target for a DA that said "anyone can convict a guilty person; a great prosecutor can convict an innocent man".

Most recently The New Yorker ran the story Trail by Fire detailing the junk science behind the conviction and the execution of an innocent man here in Texas. What's in common? Both were white and both were poor.

For the most part: You buy the Justice that you can afford.

Edited by Yuanyang (see edit history)