Holding on to the Dream

Feathers268

Full speech text from the Lincoln Monument, 1963

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight, and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith that I go back to the South with. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with a new meaning, "My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrim's pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring."

And if America is to be a great nation this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York. Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania!

Let freedom ring from the snowcapped Rockies of Colorado!

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California!

But not only that; let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia!

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee!

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom to ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual, "Free at last! free at last! thank God Almighty, we are free at last!"

Martin Luther King

I realize this is playing with fire, and again I understand that such a topic can descend into a shouting match, but I¡¯d hope that here we could discuss this in a civil matter. In a different post, Charles and I started this debate and though we disagreed on many parts, we kept our conversations civil and with respect. In talking about this, I would never look at him or anyone else here less than anything but as my brothers and sisters all part of a common cause. That being said, this lies as an undercurrent within American society as it does in many lands around the world. And of course, I think it¡¯s easier to ask for forgiveness later than ask for permission now.

The above quote is from a speech given by Martin Luther King at the foot of the Lincoln Monument in Washington D.C. in 1963. I pulled the more famous part of the speech however I recommend reading the whole speech to understand the context of which it was given. It was a time when vast parts of America was forced to realize that the deeds and the sacrifice of so many from the Civil War might have freed the slaves, but we had still very far to go. He spoke of his dream that we could live together without the bigotry and prejudice that still gripped our nation. In many places, black Americans could not eat at the same restaurants as white Americans, they could not attend the same schools, in far too many ways, Americans whose only crime was a different skin color were still held at a social level not much improved 100 years after the war to supposedly free them. It wasn¡¯t just African Americans that felt such bias. In California, Chinese immigrants were subject to harsh rules in trying to become Americans. Although there were greatly responsible for the building of the transcontinental railroad though the Sierra Nevada and the levee system turning the California Delta from swamp land to some of the most fertile land on the planet, they were not able to own their own business and as in many places, their children were not allowed to go to school with white children. And what would have affected us all here, marriage with someone outside your race was not just socially acceptable, but in most cases, illegal.

So, the question is, how far have we come in the past 45 years? Some would say we have gone far, others not much at all. You could say that the election of President Obama shows our progress, but to me, it is only a small step. The fact that he is looked at as the ¡°first black President¡± is not finding the ¡°promised land¡± in that his race must be stated rather than just saying he is the 44th President of the United States. We have had minorities holding lofty positions in our government from both parties but often politics tarnishes their achievements. Recently, racism has been blamed as a root cause for demonstrations against Presidential Policies. In my opinion, they are using a few examples of racism to paint an entire movement to discredit it giving those in the government an excuse to ignore the concerns of these people saying that their point of view as extreme.

Today, I feel that much more of society is at least tolerant if not at least careful of such issues. People from all walks of life have found love outside of their own race making the classification of race becomes less significant as ethnic lines get blurred. But still, people act out saying that they ¡°betrayed¡± their own race.

I could go on for much longer here, but I want to open this up to all of you. Since that day in 1963, how far have we come? If MLK was alive today, what would he think? I feel in some ways he would be pleased. I would like to think he would have been there in Chicago on election night with tears in his eyes. But I think he would still realize that we still have far to go.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy topic, so many variables. Having lived in many parts of the US I can tell you that it is far more acceptable to be a racist in some areas more than ever. Growing up in Idaho the N word is fairly common where as here in Portland OR such a statement would more likely get you a reaction of disgust. IMO there are no shades of grey in this area. Racism is wrong no matter what. I just hope I live long enough to see the day when people say "this guy I know" instead of "this black guy I know". In short racism is still alive and well in America and more so some places than others. We have come a long way since the civil rights movement of the 60s though.

Growing up most of my life in Atlanta, I can tell you that Racism is still alive and well here.........unfortunantly. I think the one thing that I have noticed over the years is that racism here in the south is practiced by BOTH sides....black and white. You are just as likely to find a racist white man as black man.........and both sides will claim racism if the oportunity presents itself. I will say that this is NOT EVERYONE in the south...but it is often seen

Heavy topic, so many variables. Having lived in many parts of the US I can tell you that it is far more acceptable to be a racist in some areas more than ever. Growing up in Idaho the N word is fairly common where as here in Portland OR such a statement would more likely get you a reaction of disgust. IMO there are no shades of grey in this area. Racism is wrong no matter what. I just hope I live long enough to see the day when people say "this guy I know" instead of "this black guy I know". In short racism is still alive and well in America and more so some places than others. We have come a long way since the civil rights movement of the 60s though.

That is one of the reasons I posted this. Living in California, I'd like to think it is not as much of a problem, but it still exists. Of course, the ethnic groups change as to who is being discriminated against. I remember being sensitive about it being one of only two Anglo people working on a shift that was split between Hispanic and Asian. I would have otherwise good friends think me racist because I would support a measure up fpr vote limiting access to government programs to illegal immigrants. It always bothered me that they could take that position, ignoring a major part of what I was saying.

It also bothers me when a minority gets into public office only to have the media keep asking what this means to their people. Maybe I am foolish, but I don't like thinking about Africa-American, Chinese-American, Mexican-America, etc... I like to think of us all as simply Americans. As for the questions about "what it means for your people", I am more interested in what it means for all of us as American citizens. Same thing with the President, I agree or disagree on policy. Skin color or background is not important. With the current President, I didn't vote for him, and I don't agree with much of the policies he is trying to push though, but as a person I like when he talks, and the more I hear from him, I admire him as a man and his candor. Would I vote for him next time out? I don't know, it will depend on what happens by the next election.

Cannot swords be turned to plowshares? Can we and all nations not live in peace? In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And yet, I ask you, is not an alien force already among us? What could be more alien to the universal aspirations of our peoples than war and the threat of war?

http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/spee...987/092187b.htm

You could say that the election of President Obama shows our progress, but to me, it is only a small step. The fact that he is looked at as the ¡°first black President¡± is not finding the ¡°promised land¡± in that his race must be stated rather than just saying he is the 44th President of the United States.

How about if we elect people based upon their qualifications, and not because they are of one race or another

We have had minorities holding lofty positions in our government from both parties but often politics tarnishes their achievements.

Yes, if the elected minority is of the "wrong political party" then it doesn't count.

Recently, racism has been blamed as a root cause for demonstrations against Presidential Policies.

Correct, it can't be honest objection to policies, so it must be racism, some want to keep racism alive for their own use.

Cannot swords be turned to plowshares? Can we and all nations not live in peace? As long as mankind exists, no, we cannot In our obsession with antagonisms of the moment, we often forget how much unites all the members of humanity. Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world. And yet, I ask you, is not an alien force already among us? What could be more alien to the universal aspirations of our peoples than war and the threat of war?

This is a good idealistic view, but we don't and never will live in such a world.

some believe there is no racism in the USA, some believe the same in china or other places.Of course they can think this.

Racism in all countries is both a individual and a instituntional reality and it goes against all, Anglos too can experience it too in many communities now.

How do we change it. i dont know

Jin we change it by learning and example. My parents used the N word freely while I was growing up. By the time they had reached their old age they had changed 180 degrees. I'd like to think I had some small part in changing their perceptions. By marrying an Asian woman twice they had to get to know my wives. Getting to know someone of another race is one of the best cures for racism. Media has a large part to do with it. By posting news stories showing people being persecuted because of their race people learn it just isn't right. By seeing others take umbrage to racism they learn by example. Even 5 years ago if someone had told me we would elect a non white president I wouldn't have believed it.

Hey I've been there :angry:

Getting to know someone of another race is one of the best cures for racism. Media has a large part to do with it. By posting news stories showing people being persecuted because of their race people learn it just isn't right. By seeing others take umbrage to racism they learn by example. Even 5 years ago if someone had told me we would elect a non white president I wouldn't have believed it.

Good points. I never thought I would have lived to see a Black President. I wish my mom could have seen it.

It is much better than when I was a child 30 or more years ago. Even better than when my mom and her mom were Children. We have arrived when it isn't a topic of conversation anymore. There is a ways to go. But moving forward is the right direction.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

when people stop believing the civil war was all about slavery, then racism.would be less

I believe that the Civil War had little to do freeing the slaves. IT was more about saving the Union than Emancipation. Lincoln didn't have any special feelings for the Slaves but it was his Adminstration that was responsible for freeing the. But that was over a century ago and racism is still very prevalent. I guess that is true the world over, but not all civilzations had slaves.

Not many want to really talk racism truthfully, mostly it is trivialized or disputed to even exist. It really doesn't have much to do with garlic or spaghetti , it's about people treated unfairly and judged because of thier race and not the the content ofr thier character.

Personally, I feel it may work it's way out of the population over generations as bigots die off and more open minded offspring are generated. Maybe a far-fetched thought, but partially it is happening today. But like most, I don't have the answers, I just know a bunch of questions.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

One of the insidious things about racism is how people can make racist comments without even knowing it. My earlier statement that I hope to see the day when people say "this guy I know" instead of "this black guy I know" is a good example. Why is there a need to point out the guy you know is black? If he were white you wouldn't say "this white guy I know". What if your sister, daughter or niece married a black man? My niece just recently gave birth to a half black baby. Her father disowned her. That baby is beautiful, how could anyone look at her little face and not love her?

Don makes some good points too. Whites aren't the only racists around.

My grandniece

http://i34.tinypic.com/30k68md.jpg

Guest Tony n Terrific

when people stop believing the civil war was all about slavery, then racism.would be less

I believe that the Civil War had little to do freeing the slaves. IT was more about saving the Union than Emancipation. Lincoln didn't have any special feelings for the Slaves but it was his Adminstration that was responsible for freeing the. But that was over a century ago and racism is still very prevalent. I guess that is true the world over, but not all civilzations had slaves.

Not many want to really talk racism truthfully, mostly it is trivialized or disputed to even exist. It really doesn't have much to do with garlic or spaghetti , it's about people treated unfairly and judged because of thier race and not the the content ofr thier character.

Personally, I feel it may work it's way out of the population over generations as bigots die off and more open minded offspring are generated. Maybe a far-fetched thought, but partially it is happening today. But like most, I don't have the answers, I just know a bunch of questions.

The Civil War was fought to prevent the South from industrializing and using slave labor to man their new factories. Like all wars fought since the industrial revolution where fought for profit.

Charles I don't live very far from you so we are in the same neck of the wood. I can tell you for a fact that the people that live where I do feel that there is much more racism in the state and area that you live in than there is where I live just 6 hours away. It is my feeling that there are pockets of deep racism in the whole country. It is not limited to the south, east, north, west, the country side or the city. So dose it exist, by all means in every state in the union but it is not one sided like a lot of people would have everyone else to believe.

The friends that I have are divided into about 50% white and 50% black. Most of them on both sides I can talk with about this subject without getting into a fist, knife or gun fight. So I know how many of them feel. I see just about as many racist on both sided. I have black friends that are prejudice and racist against white people and they admit it at least to me. I have white friends that are prejudice and racist against black people. I even know (notice I didn't say friends) people that are prejudice against me for marrying a Chinese girl, both black and white ones. My own mother is one of them. Now she has many black friends that she goes places with and they visit each others homes but she is prejudice against my wife and I can tell you that I don't tolerate it either.

Everyone is prejudice against something even if it is the kind of car that you drive. You may like Fords and don't like Chevrolet's this is a form of prejudice. Now racism in another ball game altogether. Prejudice and racism are close bedfellows but are different things.

The problem with people comes when one race is prejudice against another and that means any race. Everyone is entitled to their own prejudices as long as they don't act on them against someone else.

Larry