Roll Call

The great state of California(aka the Golden State).

The state capital is right here in Sacramento. Our state motto, "Eureka, I've found it!", and our state flower is the California Poppy.

We have a temperate climate averaging less than 60 days a year of rain and mild temperatures rarely getting very hot and even more rarely getting humid. From our coast to the mountians, and from the redwood forests to the desert, almost every climate on Earth is represented here somewhere.

California first became a territory in 1848 after the Mexican American war, and became the 31st state on September 9, 1850. California is the 3rd largest state in the union but has the largest population of any of the states. California shot into the spotlite when gold was discovered in 1848 at Sutter's mill near Auburn, about 25 miles east of Sacramento. The rush that followed spawned the term, "49er", for the thousands who flocked to the state in search of fortune in 1849.

Chinese have had a major role here since the gold rush becoming part of the fabric of the state. Everyone has heard of the SF Chinatown, but Chinese have been responsible for communities thoughout the state. Chinese rail workers wound up being the major force in the construction of the Transcontinental railroad as it cuts though the Sierra Nevada. Also, the Chinese built the levee system though out the Delta opening up some of the most fertile land found anywhere. It's ironic that today a good portion of rice sold in China and Japan, is grown right here.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

Born and raised in California, lived in Germany for 27 years, lived in Texas, Alabama and Washington. Currently live in Gilbert, AZ.

My wife is from Guangzhou, born and raised there and currently lives here in Arizona.

Born in Pasadena, CA

Initial upbringing in Incline Village, grew up in South Pasadena, and moved to Washington a bunch of years back.

Moved to Washington, A - Because it was out of California, B - Cooler, C - Beautiful and green, and D - No state income tax!

Washington has a fairly diverse population with immigrants from all over the world.

Different regions of the state have different economies. Central and Eastern Washington are major agricultural areas, but have some minor industry. Western Washinton is mostly dominated by the I-5 corridor. Northwestern Washington is home to very diverse economies from 'High Tech' to 'Low Tech.'

A few years back, some advertising super genius came up with the slogan for tourism of "Say WA."

The official state song of Washington is "Washington, My Home," but there is a campaign to make the state song "Louie, Louie."