Latest-Greatest BEST WAY to call China

Yes, and iTalkbb is also perfect for me. I already have phone service over internet that I pay about the amount iTalkbb costs. So, you ask, what is the advantage of iTalkbb then?

1) Although it uses my internet service, it does not tie me to my computer, it uses my normal landline phones I already have, and gives me a local phone number for where I live.

2) For the monthly (or yearly) fee, I can make unlimited calls to any phone number in the USA, Canada, China, and a number of other countries I don't care about, but some other people may find this appealing.

3) This is a replacement for your home phone system, so 911 calls will direct emergency services to your home.

4) And most important in my eyes, my sweetie or any of her friends can call a Chinese phone number and it rings my phone. Currently I do all the calling because it is way too expensive for her to call here. And once she arrives, this is going to be even more important.

5) Because it is VoIP, the box doesn't care where you are plugged in. I took my box with me on both my trips to China, and was able to call people here in the US from China for no charge from the hotel. They could also call me. I suspect the new iTalkbb box will work the same. You don't want to call 911 when you are not at home, though, unless you register your current address :)

Oscar, I checked out Skype unlimited (we use the free service to chat with video just about daily), but it appears to only provide an advantage to me, she would not be able to call me from her cell phone when she is out and about, and if we get service for her, she would be tied to home.

And it definitely sounds like Tsap has found the best solution for his needs :)

And I should mention, I recently changed from a Comcast cable modem to Verizon FIOS. It cost less, and the connection speed is better than Comcast (even though Comcast's advertised speed was 8 Mb, I consistently was getting 2 Mb, FIOS says 5 Mb, and I actually get that, as well as 2 Mb incoming instead of the 384 Kb of Comcast). I have had my VoIP service since I got Broadband back in 2000.

Edited by Craig and Mingjun (see edit history)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italkk BB for us. It is great as far as calling to and receiving calls from china.

Sometimes there is a reliability issue, but that's probably Comcast's fault.

I also notice on many calls, a slight delay.

Sometimes we have to call back and get a new connection to get rid of the delay.

Either that or say, "Ni hao.............over"

I had quality problems most of the time. My wife was always complaining about the connection to China. I switched from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. The quality is so much better. Now, we never have a quality issue.

Looks like Verizon FIOS not available in my area (South Florida East) so guess I'll have to wait till it is available. Any other options for home phone and internet? Your quality issue with Comcast concerns me. My objective is to get italkBB.

Italkk BB for us. It is great as far as calling to and receiving calls from china.

Sometimes we have to call back and get a new connection to get rid of the delay.

I had quality problems most of the time. My wife was always complaining about the connection to China. I switched from Comcast to Verizon FIOS. The quality is so much better. Now, we never have a quality issue.

Looks like Verizon FIOS not available in my area (South Florida East) so guess I'll have to wait till it is available. Any other options for home phone and internet? Your quality issue with Comcast concerns me. My objective is to get italkBB.

Like Craig, my connection with Comcast varied a great deal. My connection with Comcast was suppose to be 5MB. It measured anywhere from 4.2MB to 1.6MB. When Lisa would complain I would measure right then and it would show less than 2.8MB. The upload always showed .384MB. My sister would said it was kind of hard to hear me from time to time. VoIP does eat up some bandwidth and really needs it to be constant so you don't get any packet loss or delays. This is where you get quality issues with VoIP. So I wouldn't do less than 5MB down and 1MB up if you have it connected to your home router shared with other computers. When I had FIOS installed they made an error in setting it up. I was only getting 5/2 service for the first week, but I was really getting 5MB down with them. The phone was instantly better on both ends. It was like night and day. Once Verizon set my service to 15/2, I really didn't notice any change with ITalkbb quality.

Check to see if Verizon knows how long before they have service in your area. It is really worth getting . Prices are comparable to Comcast, but the speeds are more consistent. You can still use ITalkbb with Comcast, just be prepared for some quality issues. Also, talk with Carl (waredbored), he has both Comcast and ITalkbb, as FIOS is not available in his area yet. See if his experience is the same. It just might be worth the switch while you are waiting for FIOS.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

4) And most important in my eyes, my sweetie or any of her friends can call a Chinese phone number and it rings my phone. Currently I do all the calling because it is way too expensive for her to call here. And once she arrives, this is going to be even more important.

It should be free for your sweetie to call you from China.

In China you are charged for time if you make the call, but not if you receive the call.

Italkbb has two methods of calling to US from China.

1) you dial some local china number, then it prompts you, and you enter the BB#, then it rings USA.

This method charges the China person because they placed the call.

2) You dial an Italkbb number, then it hangs up and calls you back. Then you enter the BB# and it rings USA.

The second method will be charge free for your sweetie because she did not originate the call. I know this is true, because we tried both methods. We burned up over 100 yuan in 3 days with method #1, but talked for over a year with method #2, no charges (not even cell minutes on her cell phone).

Edited by credzba (see edit history)

Thanks for the clarification on ITalkbb, guys. That sounds perfect for Griz as he was the original guy who asked the question.

For myself the best way for me is Free call planet...$25 for 5,600 minutes, that's .0044 cents per minute and better yet, it fits my lifestyle.

Looks like that's what I'm stickin' with until I stop walking and driving my car when I'm talkin' to the rabbit. :rolleyes:

Free call planet and ITalkbb never was comparing apples to apples.

tsap seui

tsap, you might want to look at Italkbb (or other voip) for a different reason.

Since you are a short time USA resident, the ItalkBB thing also works in reverse. Someone else mentioned it but you may not have thought about it.

With ITalkBB your get a box about the size of a cigarette pack that has an ethernet (internet) port on one side, and a phone plug on the other side. (oh phones in china use a different plug, bring one of yours from USA. Also, get a 220 volt converter for you ITalkBB box, they are available on the web)

No matter where/what ethernet connection you plug it into, your "home phone number" will call you.

For you, this means your american friends can call you while you are in China. If the USA boys need to call you to raise your monthly stipend, they call your USA phone, and never know your in China (other than wonder why your asleep every time they call).

Your family or friends in USA, can call you for free, while you live in China. Your sweetie can call you for free while you live in USA.

In addition to this, as others have said, while you are in america, your sweetie can call your china number thats linked to your cell, and reach you no matter where you are.

Like Craig, my connection with Comcast varied a great deal. My connection with Comcast was suppose to be 5MB. It measured anywhere from 4.2MB to 1.6MB. When Lisa would complain I would measure right then and it would show less than 2.8MB. The upload always showed .384MB. My sister would said it was kind of hard to hear me from time to time. VoIP does eat up some bandwidth and really needs it to be constant so you don't get any packet loss or delays. This is where you get quality issues with VoIP. So I wouldn't do less than 5MB down and 1MB up if you have it connected to your home router shared with other computers. When I had FIOS installed they made an error in setting it up. I was only getting 5/2 service for the first week, but I was really getting 5MB down with them. The phone was instantly better on both ends. It was like night and day. Once Verizon set my service to 15/2, I really didn't notice any change with ITalkbb quality.

Check to see if Verizon knows how long before they have service in your area. It is really worth getting . Prices are comparable to Comcast, but the speeds are more consistent. You can still use ITalkbb with Comcast, just be prepared for some quality issues. Also, talk with Carl (waredbored), he has both Comcast and ITalkbb, as FIOS is not available in his area yet. See if his experience is the same. It just might be worth the switch while you are waiting for FIOS.

Thank you so much. I've e-mailed Verizon.

I am using Skype to make my calls to my fiance in China. I am using the unlimited calling plan for 10 USD per month and it is saving me much money.

I used to have troubles with Skype, but I am now usually getting a very clear signal. My fiance is using a cell phone and I am using skype.

If you read the skype list of countries, it lists China as being able to connect to both the cell phones and the land lines using the unlimited calling plan.

When I first started talking to my fiance, I was using Verizon at $0.15, then I started using the Skype $.02 cents per minute and now I'm at 10 Dollars a month.

Currently I am calling my sweetheart twice a day, for about 30 minutes in the morning before I go to work, and then when I come home from work in the evening. Skype's low rate has been a life saver for me, and my wallet. I hope it can help yours also.

We use onesuite.com mostly. On our cell we can program 3 or 4 local numbers all over the US (mobile phones no long distance). Plus, we have it set up on the internet with all of the numbers in our phonebook, so she only has to remember who is what number as she dials on the mobile - very automatic no codes or long numbers to enter. The system will see our phone numbers and not need us to enter any extra codes. That allows us to call any where we are at that time. I think it is 2.2 cents per min right now. They have a toll free number for southern china - that includes sichuan. Her parents can call us and than we call back. The toll free number is expensive, but mostly only use it for emergencies and only one minute. This is easy for us, since we tend to make a lot of calls as we walk at night.

• 2 months later...

I use two calling cards:

1) http://speedypin.com/prepaid/phone-card/LIBX10

Pros: 1-800 access no additional charge, .005 per minute

Cons: Cell phones higher, rate not shown. Per call surcharge. Weekly charge. No logging.

If you are calling at a fair volume/frequency and on the road this is great.

2) http://www.callingcardplus.com/phone-card/...g-card_196.html

Pros: Same rate for cell phones, Many local access numbers, call logging, no surcharges/weekly fees

Cons: 2.12 cents per minute, 1-800 access extra

I use this if I want the call logged and to keep available if I am not using it for awhile with no burn out charges.

I get the feeling the first card is charging more than they say, even with the add-on charges. I find both last about the same time for the same money.

Since we only talk about 2-3 hrs/week this is better than a monthly plan.

Edited by Lee VD (see edit history)

This has been tackled a number of times here, but it's now the YEAR OF THE OX, so an update might be in order.

1. What are the BEST WAYs to call China from the USA in terms of quality AND price?
  2. What are the BEST WAYS to call around the USA in terms of quality AND price?

Upside: Free and good quality to Lisa's cell phone in Beijing, no ads

Downside: Call limited to 5 minutes, did not work when I tried to call my new step daughter's cell phone in UK

Free 5 minute international calls to anywhere in the world from 8 pm to 8 am (this is the claim - I tested and it works to Beijing, China)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Get the daily free international call pin number at http://www.freecallpin.com/ look for freecallbutton and write down the pin.

2. Between 8 pm to 8 am call 1-206-424-1330 (WASH USA) (this is a long distance call -after 9 pm with most cell phone plans call is free).

3. Listen to prompts and enter 9 to make a call, enter the free pin number you got in step 1 above followed by a #. Wait for dial tone.

4. Dial 00, then the country code, then the phone number, then the # key.

5. Calls are limited to 5 minutes per hour, then they shut off.

I still have Italkbb.. 24.99 per month.

Free calls to USA, Canada, most of Europe and China.

Calls to us from China ... FREE!!!!

Quality has been very good.

My wife stays in touch with her family and friends very easy.

We use it too. My wife loves it. If your wife uses the phone a lot, this is a very good service as you have unlimited minutes for the monthly fee. And the free calls from China are a great bonus.

Chalk up another happy ITalkBB user. Did the year package and got 2 months free. Unlimited calling to anywhere in the us, most of Europe and cell and land lines in China. Plus, callers in China have access to 3 US numbers - home, work and cell if you want, and only pay for a local call!

Plus conference calling, call waiting and all the other crap thrown in.

I've got cable modem internet and phone quality has never been a problem.

Can't beat it with a stick!!

Thanks everyone!

It sure sounds like ITALKBB is the way to go. I just did some research on the internet to be sure the problems were minimal. But I came across this site which scares me a little. Am I good to go? or do you think the problems identified on this site are legitimate. I understand that voice quality will be an issue through any VOIP offering and can live with occasional busy signals and bad call quality to save money but the customer service and billing problems scare me. Can anyone reassure me about their experiences with these? Thanks so much.

John

http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/user_reviews...voip-review.htm

I use Vonage. We pay $10.00 for the Call Asia plan per month on top of the $24.99 Residential premium plan. The $10.00 plan gives us unlimited calling to China, as my wife calls all her friends and family all she wants. For $34.99 a month we then have unlimited USA/Canada and China.

bokiwen - ya - i have something similar - broadvox - but - i've had this account for 6 years now - somehow i got 'grandfathered' 4 plans ago, and for my 19.95 / month - i've got unlimited everywhere. (at least the last 2 years, and I call all over da world, except Cuba).

I'm sure it's a data error as 'plans' were consolidated.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to try to get a new account - it seems impossible from all the merging and buyouts...

but - my ata device not burn up, ever - and i've used it in singapore, china, and rome. it's a brick - no longer made :lol: this 'new stuff' is smaller, gets hotter and from what i've tested, burns out in about 9 months.

The 'listed rate' is 2.1 cents/minute to China - it shows up like that on my statement, but I the invoice has always said '19.95' ...

I wish I could recommend it to others, but I can't :D

We have been using onesuite for 3 years, and for convenience and price, it seems to be one of the top options. We have three phones on the system, 1 touch dial for access and pin, and up to 50 programable numbers, just a 2 digit code for each. $0.022/minute, $1.32/hour, on some holidays the cost was only $0.018/minute. It is a prepay system, they alert you when the balance gets to $1, and your membership is auto extended for 6mos. every time you call. When we first started, the membership was six mos. for each deposit, and I deposited $50, it took more than 6 mos. to use the $50, so we had to call and extend. They have made that much better now! Mike & Yizhen

There are several different charges that can crop up. There's the fee per minute, that we all quote when we post about it. For some carriers, there's also a per-connect fee (which adds a little to the cost of a call), and/or a weekly or monthly fee. Watch for those. There's also a variation in the expiration dates. Some 3 months, some 6. Just check that your plan is good for your own style of usage.