Latest-Greatest BEST WAY to call China

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a happy iTalkBB user too. I have used it more than three years. I just got a $20 off coupon in the mail. In case anyone want to sign up and use it. It can only be use 5 times before 2/28/2009. So PM me.

So it's safe to assume italkBB needs cable, preferably from Verizon? My wife and I both have cell phones through Verizon (1400 minutes..about $80/month, contract lock for atleast another year), Internet (DSL) and home phone from AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) (about $80/month) and we buy onesuite.com (2.2 cents/minute to China) at an average of $25-$30/month.

We certainly like the ability for her mama and baba to call us for free via italkBB. Navigated Verizon's website for packages but don't see much savings? Called, but Verizon rep not too helpful. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I am a happy iTalkBB user too. I have used it more than three years. I just got a $20 off coupon in the mail. In case anyone want to sign up and use it. It can only be use 5 times before 2/28/2009. So PM me.

So it's safe to assume italkBB needs cable, preferably from Verizon? My wife and I both have cell phones through Verizon (1400 minutes..about $80/month, contract lock for atleast another year), Internet (DSL) and home phone from AT&T (formerly Bellsouth) (about $80/month) and we buy onesuite.com (2.2 cents/minute to China) at an average of $25-$30/month.

We certainly like the ability for her mama and baba to call us for free via italkBB. Navigated Verizon's website for packages but don't see much savings? Called, but Verizon rep not too helpful. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ITalkbb can be used over DSL, but you would have some quality issues. Nothing too bad, but still very noticeable. You are paying 80+25 or $105 for slow internet, home phone and calls to China. If I were you, I would turn the DSL and home phone into FIOS or cable. Most DSL runs at .765MB, cable and FIOS is 12MB to 20MB. at around 60. So by switching to fast broadband, you could get fast internet, home phone and calls to/from china for around $85. You should save about $20 a month. Cellphone service is a seperate part of Verizon. FIOS is fairly new and not available in all areas, but any service that offers over 12MB download and 2MB up would give good quality with any VoIP.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

ITalkbb can be used over DSL, but you would have some quality issues. Nothing too bad, but still very noticeable. You are paying 80+25 or $105 for slow internet, home phone and calls to China. If I were you, I would turn the DSL and home phone into FIOS or cable. Most DSL runs at .765MB, cable and FIOS is 12MB to 20MB. at around 60. So by switching to fast broadband, you could get fast internet, home phone and calls to/from china for around $85. You should save about $20 a month. Cellphone service is a seperate part of Verizon. FIOS is fairly new and not available in all areas, but any service that offers over 12MB download and 2MB up would give good quality with any VoIP.

Thank you so much for your sound advice and I will pursue FIOS.

Hope you and your family are well. : )

Hey gang, is this ITalkbb something that has to be done through a computer? So you pay for the ITalkbb and then for a cable or phone line?

I am often on the road in my car or out walking when I talk to my lil' rabbit, much more often than I am at home next to a computer.

Thought I would axe the question as having to drag a laptop around with me while I'm walking would look like I had stolen the damn thing and was walking around with it in circles in the Wal-Fart parkin' lot.

Interesting to see how that ITalkbb actually works. :unsure:

tsap seui

Hey gang, is this ITalkbb something that has to be done through a computer? So you pay for the ITalkbb and then for a cable or phone line?

I am often on the road in my car or out walking when I talk to my lil' rabbit, much more often than I am at home next to a computer.

Thought I would axe the question as having to drag a laptop around with me while I'm walking would look like I had stolen the damn thing and was walking around with it in circles in the Wal-Fart parkin' lot.

Interesting to see how that ITalkbb actually works. :)

tsap seui

Yes - you would need a computer connected to the Internet - plus the iTalkBB box connected to a phone line - not exactly portable

tsap seui

Yes - you would need a computer connected to the Internet - plus the iTalkBB box connected to a phone line - not exactly portable

Thanks Randy, I had thought you had to be "connected" with it's resulting added on fees to ITalkbb, but wasn't certain. That would NEVER fit into my lifestyle. :happybday:

Being tied to a computer would never work for me, even if ITalkbb paid me $50 a month to use their service...this ol' boy needs his "freedom" from a computer. Maybe in a few years down the road, if the visa goons let us live in america. :)

tsap seui

Interesting to see how that ITalkbb actually works. :lol:

tsap seui

No.You do not need a computer. The ITalkbb box has a phone connection on back so forget the phone line.

The Italkbb box is a Voip device, so yes you need an internet connection.

It doesn't matter where you connect into the internet. Home or hotel while traveling. So it is portable, you can take it with you when traveling around the US or even in China. Once plugged in, friends who call don't even know you've left home as they call your home number and it rings where ever you are connected in the world.

It does require an internet connection, so you can't sit in a parking lot or go out walking with the box, but it does have a feature to call a number from your cellphone and use your Italkbb account. Still it is not for those just looking for a long distance service. It is a home phone service replacement.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

i use http://mydialbox.com/ to call my wife in china. its 2.2 cents per minute, minutes can be recharged on their secure site. you can also print out a log of minutes called from what phone to what phone, very useful for documentation for VO. MO has two access area codes, http://mydialbox.com/support/access_number.html

good luck

tsap seui

Thanks Randy, I had thought you had to be "connected" with it's resulting added on fees to ITalkbb, but wasn't certain. That would NEVER fit into my lifestyle. :)

Being tied to a computer would never work for me, even if ITalkbb paid me $50 a month to use their service...this ol' boy needs his "freedom" from a computer. Maybe in a few years down the road, if the visa goons let us live in america. :lol:

tsap seui

italkbb actually have a service called italkfreedom, which you can use your mobile phone to make calls to China. I think it cost around $15 for 2000 minutes/month. After that will be 2 cents/minute.

Now they run a promotion for Chinese Spring Festival: if you sign up global plan you will get this free for one year. Pretty good deal. I would say.

Edited by Lexar (see edit history)

Thanks for the clarification on ITalkbb, guys. That sounds perfect for Griz as he was the original guy who asked the question.

For myself the best way for me is Free call planet...$25 for 5,600 minutes, that's .0044 cents per minute and better yet, it fits my lifestyle.

Looks like that's what I'm stickin' with until I stop walking and driving my car when I'm talkin' to the rabbit. :)

Free call planet and ITalkbb never was comparing apples to apples.

tsap seui