Latest-Greatest BEST WAY to call China

For onesuite, it is only by the minute, there are no other charges. There is one drawback, it is $0.27/minute to call from China to USA. If calling from China is important, then there could be better options, maybe a combination of onesuite and something else to call from China. We only used skype everyday, before Yizhen came to USA, it was free, and we could see each other at the same time. Now she can call her family every day if she wants, Mike and Yizhen

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little late to the party here, but I'll throw in my thoughts. I use a combination of QQ and Skype. I have a SKYPE handset that runs off the wireless DSL in the house. It also works on any other wireless network here in the USA. Calls are free, but do take up cell phone minutes on her end. So, I try to keep the calls short. There is a SKYPE store in Korea and they can usually switch my phone back and forth to get Chinese wireless when I pass through. We use QQ for instant messages and video chat. Tencent just released a new 2009 english version that runs pretty good on XP. This service is also free. The last english release was in 2005 and was a pain to configure.

In short, I use SKYPE to call her cell phone for free and we see each other on QQ video for free at the same time. Absolutely priceless.

Hope that helps.

Ying has used Yahoo voice for almost 2 1/2 years, she loves it. It is already part of Yahoo messenger, the only thing you purchase credit in $10 or $25 increments as you need them, pay $0.015 per minute for China.

If you want incoming calls can also select a US telephone number from almost anywhere in the US that you want for about $2.50 a month and use like a normal phone from anywhere in the world (call your family from China pay $0.01 per minute). Any calls when you are offline go to voice mail which you can check anytime.

Ying uses it to call her family and friends in China, in China we prefer it over the landline for most calls and I use it to make calls to the US.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I am looking for a calling card that can be used calling from china to usa, and usa to china. It would be for only occasional use. Italkbb looks good for future, but I only need it on rare occasions.

I use Skype now, when I am home, and when away, from my mobile phone, use sms (www.talk2china.com)

Talk to china sms service works about 95% of the time, but sometimes there are service interruptions. I can use it from my mobile phone just like sending an email, and it goes to her mobile phone. This is great, expect when it does not work.

So I am looking for suggestions for a good calling card I can use from my mobile phone in usa, or she can use in China to call usa. I think the call quality is the most important, since it will be seldom used.

Any suggestions?

I am looking for a calling card that can be used calling from china to usa, and usa to china. It would be for only occasional use. Italkbb looks good for future, but I only need it on rare occasions.

I use Skype now, when I am home, and when away, from my mobile phone, use sms (www.talk2china.com)

Talk to china sms service works about 95% of the time, but sometimes there are service interruptions. I can use it from my mobile phone just like sending an email, and it goes to her mobile phone. This is great, expect when it does not work.

So I am looking for suggestions for a good calling card I can use from my mobile phone in usa, or she can use in China to call usa. I think the call quality is the most important, since it will be seldom used.

Any suggestions?

Check out China Call-Back. It's 1.8 cents to China, 4.x the other way.

We've only tried a couple of times from China, and didn't get it to work. You call a local China number, hang up, and it calls you back. You then enter the PIN and USA number. We just didn't have one person who both understood Chinese and the procedure

Very good sound quality

http://www.pc2asia.com/pcinfo-en.cfm?Produ...amp;CountryID=1

Have you checked out Vonage? They have a plan for $24.99 a month for free local and long distance in the US, Canada. They offer two plans one for $6.00 more called world basic plan and one for 10.00 more each month called Call Asia Plan. both these plans also offer fee call to other countries, and it gives you a listing of the other countires included in the plan. It is routed through your computer, but it might be worth your time to check it out.

well i can see everyone is just tring to save a little money , but be it as it may , i always use a net 10 phone even when my wife was going thrue the k-1 process in china, we still use the net 10 , mostly because we really never talked to much on the phone, and now she use it to call her bank in china or to buy or sell stock in china , or to call family or friends,for us we are not really phone people , but it all depend on your needs, LIFE IS GOOD, FOR NOW

My net is barely DSL, so I wonder what upload and download speeds are needed for good quality calls? I have asked the folks at italk and they don't seem to know. I can not get cable in my area. :D

where are you located Mark. If someone is near you they can run their italk box over to your house and try it out.

The problem with dsl internet access is you have to keep paying for the dsl landline anyway, so the benefit of the voip boxes (like italk) are diimished.

I am pretty remote here Bro, back in where the hoot owls do unspeakable things to chickens! :D

My phone bill has normaly been about $120 a month and I could forward my calls to work would be great. I guess I could try it for a month but, I will need to buy a router too.

If you're only calling one person. i would recommand VOIP Blaster made by Creative labs. it works perfectly over dial up internet. They no longer made them but sometime you can find them on ebay.