The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

Okay so boatloads of members are heading for China already and they need info STAT... :P And we're here to help with everything we know about how to navigate through the shark infested waters of the Middle Kingdom... :o But seriously I'll start a pinned topic for all you present or future expats out there with whatever good stuff our members can dig up that would be useful in making the leap... :blink: And we'll see if there's any real interest... :huh:

And I'll get the ball rolling by giving out this website for Kunming expats. Its widely known that Kunming and environs has some of the best weather in China... "Spring City'. And yes it just so happens that we plan on spending the summers there in our little burg 98 km south of Kunming, Yuxi... :D

http://www.gokunming.com/en/

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I haven't googled this for some time and there actually are some things going on...Here's the Forum page from China Expat...Not nearly as big as Candle but they have a magazine even...Most all of these ventures are heavily commercial of course so it makes one appreciate what we have here on CFL all the more... :blink:

http://www.chinaexpat.com/forum

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

Okay so boatloads of members are heading for China already and they need info STAT... :ph34r: And we're here to help with everything we know about how to navigate through the shark infested waters of the Middle Kingdom... :huh: But seriously I'll start a pinned topic for all you present or future expats out there with whatever good stuff our members can dig up that would be useful in making the leap... :rolleyes: And we'll see if there's any real interest... :blink:

And I'll get the ball rolling by giving out this website for Kunming expats. Its widely known that Kunming and environs has some of the best weather in China... "Spring City'. And yes it just so happens that we plan on spending the summers there in our little burg 98 km south of Kunming, Yuxi... :o

http://www.gokunming.com/en/

Thanks Roger, the Kumming one looks very good.

Thanks Roggie. I may be in need of such a forum in the next few weeks. If the goon squad denies the lil' rabbit after makin' us wait 9 or more months in admin processing and review I will be one SERIOUS american looking to live out my days in Chinatucky.

I want to find a place with two trees close enough together for me to string a hammock between. :rolleyes: I'm real picky.

tsap seui

Ok, since I mentioned this in another thread, I appreciate the addition of the pinned thread at this time. I'm a former civil engineer, professional photographer, B&B proprietor, chauffeur, ad nauseum....

Afetr I met the missus online in August '07, and we got married in Chengdu on Dec 21. I decided, after thinking about relocating to China for actually about six years, that I would move to Chengdu asap. Priced everything I owned at fire sale plus price for the whole kit-n-kaboodle, had a cash deal in three weeks, and I arrived in Chengdu on March 7. My SSA benefit was applied for in January and got the first check earlier than they said I would :D Arranged the banking, after a ton of headaches, and got my life's savings over here now, half in my account and half in lao po's. Have rented a nice condo, furnished, bought a new TV, arranged for telephone and internet..... at this time, I have tons of questions that I hadn't even thought about before the move. I would sure like to hear some others chime in that they have made the leap, too. I did lurk at a Chengdu expat site for awhile, but it was totally inadequate and very little activity. I appreciate the links to the other sites and the establishment of this pinned thread.

Bill

Ok, since I mentioned this in another thread, I appreciate the addition of the pinned thread at this time. I'm a former civil engineer, professional photographer, B&B proprietor, chauffeur, ad nauseum....

Afetr I met the missus online in August '07, and we got married in Chengdu on Dec 21. I decided, after thinking about relocating to China for actually about six years, that I would move to Chengdu asap. Priced everything I owned at fire sale plus price for the whole kit-n-kaboodle, had a cash deal in three weeks, and I arrived in Chengdu on March 7. My SSA benefit was applied for in January and got the first check earlier than they said I would :lol: Arranged the banking, after a ton of headaches, and got my life's savings over here now, half in my account and half in lao po's. Have rented a nice condo, furnished, bought a new TV, arranged for telephone and internet..... at this time, I have tons of questions that I hadn't even thought about before the move. I would sure like to hear some others chime in that they have made the leap, too. I did lurk at a Chengdu expat site for awhile, but it was totally inadequate and very little activity. I appreciate the links to the other sites and the establishment of this pinned thread.

Bill

Well Bill hope we can help you out a little and ourselves in the process. Chengdu was one of the places we strongly considered for living although neither of us has ever been there. We have a very good friend who is from there, little sister Minty... :lol:

So ask away on your questions and we'll see where this thingie takes us... :huh:

I'm waiting on a "Rednecks go to China" thread!!! :lol: :angry: :) :rolleyes:

Cuzin' Chawls, I done contacted a shippin' company today and got pricin' for a container to ship over a 59' DeSoto with BIG fins. I figger that ol' DeSoto is gonna make one purdy yard ornament sittin' on blocks outside them highrise condos they call houses. I also figger my velvet Elvis collection will be safe inside the DeSoto's trunk for the trip over.

I got myself busy today with my Milwalkee scroll saw and I cut some half moon's in some outhouse doors I plan to take over with me. I think as well as teachin' proper redneck english to the Chinabillys that I may have me a side business of sellin' fancy outhouses. Put some red angel hair on the 1X12 seat boards, shucks, them outhouses outta sell like Aunt Jemima pancakes in south Jawja on a Sunday mornin'!!

And I got an ol' boy puttin' "Git er done" in Chinese writin' on a bunch of T-shirts. Man I hope he knows what he's doin'...he said he understood Chinese writin', but ol' Bubba wuz a lil' liquored up...I hope his writin' don't say "Yaw suck" or "Give us back our jobs" or somethin' else stupid like a yankee would say. :nonono:

I can jest see 4 or 5 of us rednecks and our wimmin livin' in a single city...a couple of old muscle cars with fins sittin' on blocks in front of our pads...fake empty PBR cans blowin' around...shouts of YEEEEHAAAAAAW YIP YIP YIP when one of gets lucky.....I can just hear you walkin' in to yer english class and sayin' "Howdy Yaw, my name's Chawls and I'm here to teach yaw sum proper english"

Chinatucky may never be the same again bubba, especially after Jeff Fox Hung Low and his buddy Larry the Hocker Guy move into town. Ol' Larry the Hocker Guy can show them Chinabillys what sum SERIOUS oyster hockin' is ALL ABOUT....shucks, them lil' clams I seen the Chinese hockin' on the sidewalk ain't squat compared to FULL BLOWN QUIVERIN' OYSTERS that could pull the shoes off a Clydesdale horse....yesssirrreee, you know wud I'ma tawkin' 'bout!!!!!

Cuzin' tsap seui

Have oyster

will travel