The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

Another question for you all- Driving test in china ? anyone done it ?

Ok, now we're gettin' somewhere...... what are the regs with regard to a laowei "driving" in China? Is it province-based of PRC-wide? I've been told by some that the only thing I can get around on here, on a personal basis, is either a pedal-powered or electric-powered bicycle. Not even sure about the electric bike, some have "tags" and some don't. I used to race Formula Vee, so I think I have a headstart on competing for space on the streets. I even surprised myself yesterday at my ability to adapt. There was a large group of folks waiting for return buses at a popular tourist spot here..... after watching the crowd decend on a bus like vultures on carrion (one guy even bypassed the door completely, managed to climb into the bus through a window), I decided when in Rome...... Took laopo's hand and started saying "scuse me", went to the front of the group and when the next bus came, went around the policeman trying desperately to restore order, and was second couple on the bus :rolleyes:

Here's a link from China.org about it Bill...

http://www.china.org.cn/english/LivinginChina/194325.htm

It sounds quite easy and straight-forward to get a Chinese driver's license... :blink:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting on a "Rednecks go to China" thread!!! :popeye: :blink: :plane: :rolleyes:

Cuzin' Chawls, I done contacted a shippin' company today and got pricin' for a container to ship over a 59' DeSoto with BIG fins. Cuzin' tsap seui

Have oyster

will travel

Well inside cuzin' tsap's hilarity here is a good point... :huh: How the heck do you get your stuff over there anyway??? The last time I looked into this I found that there are lots of empty containers going back to China from our shores and if you can fill 1/8th of one or more with your junk its a good deal. What do you do once it gets there??? I have no idea... :blink:

The Brits who are always moving to Hong Kong recommended the "removal" company (that would be a moving company to us) of Allied Pickfords but I understand that going that kind of route is pricey as they have to pack everything themselves ... :blink:

I made the decision to only take what I could fit in checked and carry-on luggage. Granted, the checked bags were a tad overweight (a bargain at $60 extra weight fee) and I figured out how to sneak three carry-ons through....... but when it comes down to it, I knew that most of the "stuff" I had could be gotten rid of, and not missed. After all, this is intended to be a major life change, right? No looking back and no regrets..... Sure didn't want to pay the freight for furniture and other things that I knew I could buy here fairly cheap.

Golly I like the purity of your path Bill... :D But I don't know if I could go that far...I'm one of those people to which "stuff" adheres... :blink: I guess the one thing I could not give up would be books... :unsure: I'd have to ship over a case of books even if I could manage to divest myself of the rest of a lifetime's accumulation of flotsam and jetsam... :plane:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Woo Hoo ! Tex Mex in Wuhan this month !

http://www.wuhantime.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3376

Oh I am sad - they put beans in their TexMex Nachos.... EEEK

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Here is one for Wuhan -

http://www.wuhantime.com/

Enjoy !

And there are links to sites in Chengdu and Suzhou...I learned that Chinese consider it gross for foreigners to blow their nose in a handkerchief and then put it back in their pocket... :huh: So much more efficient to just blow it out in the street... :huh:

I have another question...... although I consider myself retired, I would like very much to tutor conversational english in Chengdu. Our apartment on one side overlooks the access road to a middle school with a large enrollment, and I appear to be the only non-asian in this part of the city (there is another part of the city that is favored by expats). I have been thinking about putting a sign on the window, advertising english tutoring. My wife has even suggested she hand out business cards to the students and parents. I am aware that there are issues with working illegally, and being extremely visible won't help. Therefore, I would like to set up a legal means of tutoring. I was hoping that members of the forum, that may have gone this, might give me some help in regard to the process of setting up a small business, making sure the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.....

Bill

I have another question...... although I consider myself retired, I would like very much to tutor conversational english in Chengdu. Our apartment on one side overlooks the access road to a middle school with a large enrollment, and I appear to be the only non-asian in this part of the city (there is another part of the city that is favored by expats). I have been thinking about putting a sign on the window, advertising english tutoring. My wife has even suggested she hand out business cards to the students and parents. I am aware that there are issues with working illegally, and being extremely visible won't help. Therefore, I would like to set up a legal means of tutoring. I was hoping that members of the forum, that may have gone this, might give me some help in regard to the process of setting up a small business, making sure the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.....

Bill

There are schools and companies in Chengdu that legally hire native English speakers on a one year work contract, and provide the Z-work visa. Technically, you are required to ONLY work for that one company then, and cannot do any extra work (like going to someone's home to teach a private session, they pay you cash in hand and not the school). But lots of people wink and nod and it happens anyway. Sometimes though, yer not teaching a class for $$, yer teaching a class for guanxi.

If you wanted to set up a small business for tutoring in China, then have that business support your Z visa, that's doable. You'll need to have a chinese business partner, owning 51 percent or more of the business.

There are MANY entities looking for you, CFL isn't the best source for you to find them in Chengdu. I can't say this site - http://www.chengdutime.com/ is the best place to look, but at least there are other expats who frequent the site, you can pose your questions there as well.

Good Luck !

Bill

If you wanted to set up a small business for tutoring in China, then have that business support your Z visa, that's doable. You'll need to have a chinese business partner, owning 51 percent or more of the business.

It is definitely not as simple as you make it sound.

First of all, each business has to be registered and licensed by the appropriate government sector. For example, all businesses that provide educational services directly to a consumer must be registered with the Education Bureau. Because of an oversupply of educational services, it is extremely rare to have a business license in this category approved.

Further, if you are able to obtain necessary approval, just because you have a business license does in no way mean you can hire expats. You need special approval from the Foreign Affairs Bureau and the Labor Bureau. If it were so easy to obtain this approval, 99% of all language schools wouldn't have to hire expats working illegally. To get this approval requires the company to have a minimum amount of paid-up capital (i.e. cash capital) of over approx. 500k RMB.

Bill

First of all, each business has to be registered and licensed by the appropriate government sector. For example, all businesses that provide educational services directly to a consumer must be registered with the Education Bureau. Because of an oversupply of educational services, it is extremely rare to have a business license in this category approved.

Further, if you are able to obtain necessary approval, just because you have a business license does in no way mean you can hire expats. You need special approval from the Foreign Affairs Bureau and the Labor Bureau. If it were so easy to obtain this approval, 99% of all language schools wouldn't have to hire expats working illegally. To get this approval requires the company to have a minimum amount of paid-up capital (i.e. cash capital) of over approx. 500k RMB.

Heya GZBILL. I never said it was EASY - just that it was doable.

I was hoping the other Bill would do his own research, find the 'way' that both you've described and I know about. I've done this on an IT company in GZ, never did it with educational stuff, so my experience is a bit different. Also, it wasn't the 'hiring' of expats I was alluding to, but the company ownership (less than 51 percent) being owned by that other Bill.

Bill

Heya GZBILL. I never said it was EASY - just that it was doable.

I was hoping the other Bill would do his own research, find the 'way' that both you've described and I know about. I've done this on an IT company in GZ, never did it with educational stuff, so my experience is a bit different. Also, it wasn't the 'hiring' of expats I was alluding to, but the company ownership (less than 51 percent) being owned by that other Bill.

Thanks to both of you for your comments. I have the finances and the willing local partner now (he has been tutoring for some time, has very good English skills), so will let you know how it goes....

Bill M. :D

Here is one for Wuhan -

http://www.wuhantime.com/

Enjoy !

And there are links to sites in Chengdu and Suzhou...I learned that Chinese consider it gross for foreigners to blow their nose in a handkerchief and then put it back in their pocket... :ph34r: So much more efficient to just blow it out in the street... :lol:

Bah... forget the hankerchefs, except to wear in topcoat.

Carry yer small tissue packages, learn how to quickly make one BIG to cover a sneeze... I especially like the ones with Minnie Mouse on them.... Reminds me to always carry a mouse...

trade ya some info for an answer -

the info:

expat links for Guangzhou, some better than others (I was mostly looking for a place to get things like plain old yellow mustard, western-style hot dogs, etc)

http://guangzhou.asiaxpat.com/directory/ex.../groceriesfood/

http://www.alloexpat.com/china_expat_forum/index.php?c=24

http://guangzhou.mychinastart.com/

http://bestofguangzhou.com/

http://expatacular.ning.com/group/guangzhou

http://www.moveandstay.com/guangzhou/info_...expatriates.asp

http://www.expatfocus.com/index.php?name=F...pic&t=10026

http://www.orientexpat.com/forum/index.php?showforum=55

http://www.arnoudforyou.com/guangzhou-blog-china/index.php

http://www.newsgd.com/enjoylife/living/shopping/

http://www.xianzai.com.cn/ezine/gd-h-en/current.htm

http://guangzhou.ixpat.com/links

---------

the question:

I understand about buying houses, starting a business, etc, all pretty much have a requirement of having a Chinese citizen being the majority owner... but what about the simpler question that's the reverse of what we're all dealing with, the visa/citizenship red tape ? If youre going to move to China to stay, the little tourist visa is going to be practical, so what are the options for someone who is already married to a Chinese citizen ? (my wife's daughter was already 18 when we married, so it's not looking good at all for avoiding a separation of about 5 years if my wife emigrates to the good old family-values u.s.)

Longer term &/or permanent visa requirements, dual citizenship, naturalizing, etc ?

To make it simple, let's say it's what seems to be normal for this crowd, ie, someone with little Chinese language and who is within a few years of retirement age ?

the question:

I understand about buying houses, starting a business, etc, all pretty much have a requirement of having a Chinese citizen being the majority owner... but what about the simpler question that's the reverse of what we're all dealing with, the visa/citizenship red tape ? If youre going to move to China to stay, the little tourist visa is going to be practical, so what are the options for someone who is already married to a Chinese citizen ? (my wife's daughter was already 18 when we married, so it's not looking good at all for avoiding a separation of about 5 years if my wife emigrates to the good old family-values u.s.)

Longer term &/or permanent visa requirements, dual citizenship, naturalizing, etc ?

To make it simple, let's say it's what seems to be normal for this crowd, ie, someone with little Chinese language and who is within a few years of retirement age ?

Buying a house does not require participation by a Chinese national. As an expat you cannot buy property until you have already lived in China at least one year on a student or work-related residence permit.

The only visa you would qualify for as the spouse of a Chinese national is a one-year multiple entry tourist "L" visa. It does not allow you to work, but it easily renewable for additional one-year increments.

Permanent residence is extremely difficult and you need to, at a bare minimu,, have been married for five years and living in China for five years since marriage and up to the date of your application for PR. Few applications are approved.

Forget citizenship. First of all, you must renounce your US citizenship first. Secondly, few non-Chinese are approved. Very, very few.