The Expat's Corner...

rogerluli

Do you know if it is possible for a USC to become a member of the CPC?

Perhaps it may be of some advantage if you are of retirement age.

Discounts, insurance etc.

Wife just informed me if you are over 65 you don't have to pay to ride the bus. :P

How about free meals in restaurants?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question for you all- Driving test in china ? anyone done it ?

Driving itself is not difficult.

But I was told, as an American if you get into an accident, they will empty out your wallet and your bank account. And it is better never to drive in China. If you plan to live there, buy a bicycle and not even a motorbike!

Edited by ken88 (see edit history)

Wife just informed me if you are over 65 you don't have to pay to ride the bus. :P

Will I be able to get 10% off sheehs-keebob cicadas and a leg of Lassie if'n I'm an CAARP member? The Chinatucky version.

What about free medical since Ima combat veteran? Would I have to disclose whose Army I wuz dodging bullets from?

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Nope.

And the bus passes for senior citizens only applies to those who have hukou in the city and are registered in the social security-type system.

I have another question...... although I consider myself retired, I would like very much to tutor conversational english in Chengdu. Our apartment on one side overlooks the access road to a middle school with a large enrollment, and I appear to be the only non-asian in this part of the city (there is another part of the city that is favored by expats). I have been thinking about putting a sign on the window, advertising english tutoring. My wife has even suggested she hand out business cards to the students and parents. I am aware that there are issues with working illegally, and being extremely visible won't help. Therefore, I would like to set up a legal means of tutoring. I was hoping that members of the forum, that may have gone this, might give me some help in regard to the process of setting up a small business, making sure the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.....

Bill

You have to be careful as to what you are doing. You must follow all the local and central legal requirements. You will be treated like illegal aliens working in the US, may be even much worse.

I heard that many foreigners have been arrested for working without a Z visa and for working for educational institutions who are not licensed to hire foreigners. Go to forums on ESL websites to hear horror stories.

I have another question...... although I consider myself retired, I would like very much to tutor conversational english in Chengdu. Our apartment on one side overlooks the access road to a middle school with a large enrollment, and I appear to be the only non-asian in this part of the city (there is another part of the city that is favored by expats). I have been thinking about putting a sign on the window, advertising english tutoring. My wife has even suggested she hand out business cards to the students and parents. I am aware that there are issues with working illegally, and being extremely visible won't help. Therefore, I would like to set up a legal means of tutoring. I was hoping that members of the forum, that may have gone this, might give me some help in regard to the process of setting up a small business, making sure the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted.....

Bill

You have to be careful as to what you are doing. You must follow all the local and central legal requirements. You will be treated like illegal aliens working in the US, may be even much worse.

I heard that many foreigners have been arrested for working without a Z visa and for working for educational institutions who are not licensed to hire foreigners. Go to forums on ESL websites to hear horror stories.

Yes, there have been endless visa crackdowns in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and now even Guangzhou lately. A lot of people have been booted out. In GZ alone within the past month 5,000 Africans have been kicked out and several hundred people from places like the US, UK and Canada. Now is not the time to be working on anything other than the proper work visas.

• 1 month later...

Blogs are very big in China and it's a great way to find out what's really going on... B) I try to follow a few but it's almost a full time job to really keep informed. But for those living in China already (or those hopefuls) there is an endless variety of both the useful, the mundane, and the truly useless info to be found here... :signthankspin: Here are some blogs I try to follow occasionally at least...each will lead you to many more blogs/sites for China info... :surrender:

http://hollymolly.net/

http://angrychineseblogger.blog-city.com/

http://beijingnotebook.blogspot.com/

http://shanghaiist.com/

This site doesn't have too much for China but if you decide to forgo visa issues and are looking for a more friendly environment than the Middle Kingdom in that regard they do have tons of info and links for every retirement haven out there from Thailand to Tonga... :cheering:

http://www.escapeartist.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Bill

Bill, Here is a site for teaching jobs in china: http://www.eslcafe.com/

Check it out if you already haven't.

Okay so boatloads of members are heading for China already and they need info STAT... :ph34r: And we're here to help with everything we know about how to navigate through the shark infested waters of the Middle Kingdom... :o But seriously I'll start a pinned topic for all you present or future expats out there with whatever good stuff our members can dig up that would be useful in making the leap... :eatyum: And we'll see if there's any real interest... :huh:

And I'll get the ball rolling by giving out this website for Kunming expats. Its widely known that Kunming and environs has some of the best weather in China... "Spring City'. And yes it just so happens that we plan on spending the summers there in our little burg 98 km south of Kunming, Yuxi... :D

http://www.gokunming.com/en/

I heard rumors that though China is one country, it is bits and pieces of different countries. If you were born outside BJ, you are not allowed to live inside the city limits of BJ, etc. This type of discrimination goes on in every city !

Is this true? Can we take our wives to cities other than their own to live or not ?

Ken88

Okay so boatloads of members are heading for China already and they need info STAT... :ph34r: And we're here to help with everything we know about how to navigate through the shark infested waters of the Middle Kingdom... :o But seriously I'll start a pinned topic for all you present or future expats out there with whatever good stuff our members can dig up that would be useful in making the leap... :pilot: And we'll see if there's any real interest... :huh:

And I'll get the ball rolling by giving out this website for Kunming expats. Its widely known that Kunming and environs has some of the best weather in China... "Spring City'. And yes it just so happens that we plan on spending the summers there in our little burg 98 km south of Kunming, Yuxi... :D

http://www.gokunming.com/en/

I heard rumors that though China is one country, it is bits and pieces of different countries. If you were born outside BJ, you are not allowed to live inside the city limits of BJ, etc. This type of discrimination goes on in every city !

Is this true? Can we take our wives to cities other than their own to live or not ?

Ken88

Ah where is a hukou expert when we need one??? :ph34r: Ken, I believe... :huh: that the whole hukou thingie has pretty much been thrown out the window... :o I know my wife lived in several places in China and no one ever told her she couldn't... :pilot: There are some financial considerations that keep people in the towns where they worked...Those who worked for guvmint entities and have some sort of pension also have health insurance rights there...But as there are less jobs like that all the time that system will be naturally phased out...China needs a national health care system just like the US and since they have more $$$$ than we do they'll probably get it first... :P

Ken88

Ah where is a hukou expert when we need one??? :P Ken, I believe... :ph34r: that the whole hukou thingie has pretty much been thrown out the window... :ph34r: I know my wife lived in several places in China and no one ever told her she couldn't... :pilot: There are some financial considerations that keep people in the towns where they worked...Those who worked for guvmint entities and have some sort of pension also have health insurance rights there...But as there are less jobs like that all the time that system will be naturally phased out...China needs a national health care system just like the US and since they have more $$$$ than we do they'll probably get it first... :pilot:

Beijing is a different case (it is harder to get into), but I'll leave that for someone knowledgeable to explain.

• 1 month later...