May 15 - Interview Passed!!!!

I couldn't be happier than I am today!!!

We got to the Consulate at 6:45am and we were seperated at 7:45am. After a few anxious hours (okay, VERY ANXIOUS), my Xuejing appeared at 11:30am and gave me the good news!

Here's what we prepared (in short form, all I had written just disappeared when the screen froze):

- a relationship history short scrapbook I prepared. Contained how/when we met, short stories, our favorite pictures, train tickets, park tickets, what we want for the future, etc. (VERY IMPORTANT in giving the VO a good impression of our relationship)

- a folder type thing with lots of pockets

Pockets:

1) Both our passports, interview letter, copies of the letters written by both of us for the original petition, updated letters written by both of us. IMPORTANT: The new letter written by me is what put the interview in our favor (looked at before the relationship book). I prepared and hand wrote a 2 page letter that showed what I'm feeling as the interview comes closer, not scared at all of going forward with Xuejing, expressed my love, tried to joke with the VO alittle, etc. The VO said it was the "best" letter he's ever received.

2) Copy of all P4 documents

3) Copy of all P3 documents

4) Original P1 and P2 NOA's

5) My I-134 documents (Original I-134 [notarized], 2006 W2 and Taxes, 2003 - 2005 taxes, bank informaion, 2006 pay stubs from my part time job while completing college and letter of recommendation from boss, printout and letter saying that all my college fees are paid off, my resume/diploma/college transcript, job opportunities for when I come back to the USA [a bunch of places interested in me, but I told them that I have this K1 situation now and they said they'd love me to contact them when I'm ready to come to USA, Xuejing's money situation/Xuejing's diploma, information concerning freelance work I do)

6) Co-sponser's documents (original I-134, pay stubs, employer letter, 2003- 2006 taxes, emails between myself and them [best friend's parents])

7) Flight Information (ticket stubs, itineraries, baggage claims, info I bought the tickets)

8) I'm "really" an American and have residence in America (birth certificate, copies and original of ss card, driver's license, passport, student id, etc, utility bills, bank statements

9) Information showing I was already in China before we met studying (student id, certification from the college, residency permit, rent payments)

10) Information we've been living together since December 29, 2006 (envelopes addressed to me here, letters from Xuejing's landlord and our neighbor saying we're livng together and a great couple, my travel insurance saying I'm in China and Xuejing is my beneficiary, currency transaction receipts, and NCAA Tournament pool brackets)

11) Copy of both our passports, Xuejing's id card, and extra passport photos

12) Random Stuff 1 (Namecards of the people that helped me and told me what to prepare at ACH and ACS; random tickets, taxi receipts, and other small things not included in our relationship book)

13) Random Stuff 2 (letters with my grandpa and I about Xuejing and I, translations [letter's between Xuejing and I and our hotel receipts), information concerning my car, and contact information that could be called during the interview)

All these things could be fit into the one folder with many pockets, but all the other information has many many pages.

So these are plastic folders of information only of that nature:

- folder with all the pictures not included in the relationship history book

- Calling Card Information (calling card log [sOOOO many pages, 100+], bank statements showing I bought them, email receipts sent to my email, printout from the calling card website)

- Emails (Using Gmail, can print out all the subject lines of emails from each of our contacts, so an "email log" showing all the emails Xuejing and I sent back forth, and 13 emails and translations)

- Chats (same thing as emails, "chat log" showing all our chats, and 5 chats and translations)

- When we first met and I kind of knew where our relationship was going, I transcribed everyday's text messages we sent back and forth to give to Xuejing as a gift in the future. Copied all the pages of text messages I have.

- A copy of the original petition (IMPORTANT: Have your SO review your petition details thoroughly. When Xuejing arrived at the interview window, the VO said he was in the middle of reviewing the petition, again)

Hmmm, I think that's just about everything we prepared.

As for the interview itself, everything was normal checking in.

When Xuejing's number was called. The VO had her wait 2 or 3 minutes as he was reviewing our original petition. Then he asked if she'd like to use English or Mandarin. Xuejing replied she'd feel more comfortable with Mandarin, and that the majority of our communication is done in Mandarin. The VO asked, why? Because I studied Chinese in America and also Beijing.

Hmmm, the interview was all a blur, because it was 25 minutes! After saying she'd prefer Mandarin, he asked for a translator, because he doesn't speak much Chinese. Although the interview was 25 minutes, Xuejing was probably only involved for about 10 or 12 of the minutes. The translator and VO seemed to have a conversation going on between themselves.

Highlights:

- Mandarin or English?

- Starts to ask if we have pictures, but then the translator interupts him and then he forgets about asking for pictures

- How and when we met?

- The VO asks, "what's that there?" And Xuejing says it's a letter I wrote for him. This letter "changed" the course of the interview. At first he just seemed to be skimming through, but then he got very serious and restarted reading from the start again. Xuejing said his face lit up after reading it. About halfway through, he told the translator to come over and he read the second half to her.

- Then the translator and VO keep talking for about 2 minutes, and then Xuejing starts getting alittle impatient because she can't hear anything they're saying. So Xuejing very loudly in English asks the VO if he'd like to look at our relationship book? VO says yes, and Xuejing says he seems to get a kick out of it.

- Do your parents know Dan? Yes

- Do they support you? Yes

- Do Dan's parents know? Yes

- Have you met them? No ... Spoken with them? No .... Talked on the phone? No

- Why not? Said my family is very complicated and Dan himself has problems with them, but that we both hope in the future things will get better.

- Does Dan have a job? No

- Then what are you going to do for money in America? We have some money and my father will help us out. Explained how I've been looking for jobs and everything will work out, just need the interview over first so I can give employer's a definite return date. And then Xuejing asked if he'd like to see my I-134 and our co-sponser's. And the VO said NO!! I was shocked! I thought the I-134 would be the key part of Xuejing's interview, if he can understand our situation with me just graduating, and then he doesn't even look at it knowing I don't have a job!! I think the letter I wrote, our relationship history, and Xuejing's attitude gave him the impression that we're a great couple and we'll make with everything working out.

- At this point, the VO seemed to just be alittle suspicious because he said it seemed everything was too perfect about us, and our evidence was so much. Xuejing replied with some attitude, but not rudely, of course this is our real relationship!! We're just trying to make it clear for you! My fiance saves everything, we have more plastic bags saved waiting for garbage than you could ask for!! .....I had to laugh knowing my analness is now out in the open....

- BUT, he did ask, did your fiance really write that letter? YES!

- Really? Of course

- Can I see his passport? (He didn't want to see it earlier) Sure. Xuejing is almost certain that he was looking to see if my handwritten letter matched how I wrote and signed the information within my passport. SOOOOO, I think what everbody has been saying lately, it's important to write out the letter by hand!!

- Do you want to marry your fiance? Yes! Absolutely, definitely.

- And then after this, the VO talked with the translator again for a few minutes. Then asked Xuejing, is everything you said today the truth??? Yes. "Then I hope the US will treat you nicely." YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's how everything went down for us today :rolleyes: So happy now!

I know I had a few other observations, but they're not coming to me right now. I'll try and add some more tomorrow.

I wish everyone the best of luck!! Thank you for all those that have given me advice over the past 8 months! As we all know, we couldn't do it without each other! I hope some of this can help you all out. Take care!

Dan

I couldn't be happier than I am today!!!

We got to the Consulate at 6:45am and we were seperated at 7:45am. After a few anxious hours (okay, VERY ANXIOUS), my Xuejing appeared at 11:30am and gave me the good news!

Here's what we prepared (in short form, all I had written just disappeared when the screen froze):

- a relationship history short scrapbook I prepared. Contained how/when we met, short stories, our favorite pictures, train tickets, park tickets, what we want for the future, etc. (VERY IMPORTANT in giving the VO a good impression of our relationship)

- a folder type thing with lots of pockets

Pockets:

1) Both our passports, interview letter, copies of the letters written by both of us for the original petition, updated letters written by both of us. IMPORTANT: The new letter written by me is what put the interview in our favor (looked at before the relationship book). I prepared and hand wrote a 2 page letter that showed what I'm feeling as the interview comes closer, not scared at all of going forward with Xuejing, expressed my love, tried to joke with the VO alittle, etc. The VO said it was the "best" letter he's ever received.

2) Copy of all P4 documents

3) Copy of all P3 documents

4) Original P1 and P2 NOA's

5) My I-134 documents (Original I-134 [notarized], 2006 W2 and Taxes, 2003 - 2005 taxes, bank informaion, 2006 pay stubs from my part time job while completing college and letter of recommendation from boss, printout and letter saying that all my college fees are paid off, my resume/diploma/college transcript, job opportunities for when I come back to the USA [a bunch of places interested in me, but I told them that I have this K1 situation now and they said they'd love me to contact them when I'm ready to come to USA, Xuejing's money situation/Xuejing's diploma, information concerning freelance work I do)

6) Co-sponser's documents (original I-134, pay stubs, employer letter, 2003- 2006 taxes, emails between myself and them [best friend's parents])

7) Flight Information (ticket stubs, itineraries, baggage claims, info I bought the tickets)

8) I'm "really" an American and have residence in America (birth certificate, copies and original of ss card, driver's license, passport, student id, etc, utility bills, bank statements

9) Information showing I was already in China before we met studying (student id, certification from the college, residency permit, rent payments)

10) Information we've been living together since December 29, 2006 (envelopes addressed to me here, letters from Xuejing's landlord and our neighbor saying we're livng together and a great couple, my travel insurance saying I'm in China and Xuejing is my beneficiary, currency transaction receipts, and NCAA Tournament pool brackets)

11) Copy of both our passports, Xuejing's id card, and extra passport photos

12) Random Stuff 1 (Namecards of the people that helped me and told me what to prepare at ACH and ACS; random tickets, taxi receipts, and other small things not included in our relationship book)

13) Random Stuff 2 (letters with my grandpa and I about Xuejing and I, translations [letter's between Xuejing and I and our hotel receipts), information concerning my car, and contact information that could be called during the interview)

All these things could be fit into the one folder with many pockets, but all the other information has many many pages.

So these are plastic folders of information only of that nature:

- folder with all the pictures not included in the relationship history book

- Calling Card Information (calling card log [sOOOO many pages, 100+], bank statements showing I bought them, email receipts sent to my email, printout from the calling card website)

- Emails (Using Gmail, can print out all the subject lines of emails from each of our contacts, so an "email log" showing all the emails Xuejing and I sent back forth, and 13 emails and translations)

- Chats (same thing as emails, "chat log" showing all our chats, and 5 chats and translations)

- When we first met and I kind of knew where our relationship was going, I transcribed everyday's text messages we sent back and forth to give to Xuejing as a gift in the future. Copied all the pages of text messages I have.

- A copy of the original petition (IMPORTANT: Have your SO review your petition details thoroughly. When Xuejing arrived at the interview window, the VO said he was in the middle of reviewing the petition, again)

Hmmm, I think that's just about everything we prepared.

As for the interview itself, everything was normal checking in.

When Xuejing's number was called. The VO had her wait 2 or 3 minutes as he was reviewing our original petition. Then he asked if she'd like to use English or Mandarin. Xuejing replied she'd feel more comfortable with Mandarin, and that the majority of our communication is done in Mandarin. The VO asked, why? Because I studied Chinese in America and also Beijing.

Hmmm, the interview was all a blur, because it was 25 minutes! After saying she'd prefer Mandarin, he asked for a translator, because he doesn't speak much Chinese. Although the interview was 25 minutes, Xuejing was probably only involved for about 10 or 12 of the minutes. The translator and VO seemed to have a conversation going on between themselves.

Highlights:

- Mandarin or English?

- Starts to ask if we have pictures, but then the translator interupts him and then he forgets about asking for pictures

- How and when we met?

- The VO asks, "what's that there?" And Xuejing says it's a letter I wrote for him. This letter "changed" the course of the interview. At first he just seemed to be skimming through, but then he got very serious and restarted reading from the start again. Xuejing said his face lit up after reading it. About halfway through, he told the translator to come over and he read the second half to her.

- Then the translator and VO keep talking for about 2 minutes, and then Xuejing starts getting alittle impatient because she can't hear anything they're saying. So Xuejing very loudly in English asks the VO if he'd like to look at our relationship book? VO says yes, and Xuejing says he seems to get a kick out of it.

- Do your parents know Dan? Yes

- Do they support you? Yes

- Do Dan's parents know? Yes

- Have you met them? No ... Spoken with them? No .... Talked on the phone? No

- Why not? Said my family is very complicated and Dan himself has problems with them, but that we both hope in the future things will get better.

- Does Dan have a job? No

- Then what are you going to do for money in America? We have some money and my father will help us out. Explained how I've been looking for jobs and everything will work out, just need the interview over first so I can give employer's a definite return date. And then Xuejing asked if he'd like to see my I-134 and our co-sponser's. And the VO said NO!! I was shocked! I thought the I-134 would be the key part of Xuejing's interview, if he can understand our situation with me just graduating, and then he doesn't even look at it knowing I don't have a job!! I think the letter I wrote, our relationship history, and Xuejing's attitude gave him the impression that we're a great couple and we'll make with everything working out.

- At this point, the VO seemed to just be alittle suspicious because he said it seemed everything was too perfect about us, and our evidence was so much. Xuejing replied with some attitude, but not rudely, of course this is our real relationship!! We're just trying to make it clear for you! My fiance saves everything, we have more plastic bags saved waiting for garbage than you could ask for!! .....I had to laugh knowing my analness is now out in the open....

- BUT, he did ask, did your fiance really write that letter? YES!

- Really? Of course

- Can I see his passport? (He didn't want to see it earlier) Sure. Xuejing is almost certain that he was looking to see if my handwritten letter matched how I wrote and signed the information within my passport. SOOOOO, I think what everbody has been saying lately, it's important to write out the letter by hand!!

- Do you want to marry your fiance? Yes! Absolutely, definitely.

- And then after this, the VO talked with the translator again for a few minutes. Then asked Xuejing, is everything you said today the truth??? Yes. "Then I hope the US will treat you nicely." YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's how everything went down for us today :rolleyes: So happy now!

I know I had a few other observations, but they're not coming to me right now. I'll try and add some more tomorrow.

I wish everyone the best of luck!! Thank you for all those that have given me advice over the past 8 months! As we all know, we couldn't do it without each other! I hope some of this can help you all out. Take care!

Dan

Dan: First Congratulations!! Now here is an oddity. My fiance' is Limei. I just finished talking to her and had to keep the conversation short as she is having dinner with her friend. She starts telling me about her friend just had her interview yesterday and that her fiance' lives in Wisconsin. Yep! It's you! So it appears that our SO's are friends. After talking to her I checked out CFL and started reading this thread and it started sounding coincidental so I called Limei back { she's at your SO's apartment now } and confirmed the info about your letter etc. so now I thought I would pass this coincidence on to you. Anyways according to Limei your So is a pretty happy lady right now. Congratlations again to the both of you. Our interview is next Thursday and Limei is very nervous......Rob