OT: Working in China

Hi All,

Well, it looks like I will have an opportunity to work as a Software Engineer in Xiamen. The interview went well, and they want to proceed with salary requirements, start date, etc.

However, I would like to get some advice and insight from everyone. Ummm ... is this a bad idea? Seems like a lot of people are in a hurry to get *out* of southern China.

Next, they seem to want a one-year committment ... is this normal for jobs in China?!

Someone recommended to me that if I am interested in going over for an extended period of time that I teach English. Do they want long committments for that as well?! Also, is the salary for that comparable to software engineering? I'm not looking to make a lot of money and build some sort of nest egg, this would purely be about the experience ... I would want to make enough to live comfortably for a while, basically spend what I make and get out and see the world.

Seriously, I am wanting to go out, see a new culture, experience life. I don't know. Maybe this is my way of dealing with a previous bad experience. Maybe I'm just bored. But at the same time, I am really scared about the idea of leaving my comfort zone, and lifestyle.

I would be very grateful for thoughts, insight, and advice that y'all could provide!!! :lol: :D

Thanks,

P.J.

You mentioned that it is associated with Xiamen University. Therefore, they are used to having commitments to six month or one year contracts when they hire "foreign experts" to teach.

One note of caution, make as sure as you can what you are really being hired to do. It is very common to be told about anything to get you to come to a University and then to be shuttled off to teaching English instead. I was supposedly hired here because of having taught Engineering Technology in the US and to teach safety and quality. I have taught nothing but English. Less of a problem for me as I have over 20 years of industrial experience in my background. In your case, right now you might not want to have a break in your relevant work experience, especially in your field where it is so critical and difficult to stay up to date.

I will e-mail you a copy of "THE LIVING CONDITIONS OF FOREIGN EXPERTS WORKING IN CULTURAL AND EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS

ISSUED AND PRINTED BY THE STATE BUREAU OF FOREIGN EXPERTS"

Owen,

Thanks for the response and please do email me the document, I would definitely like to take a look at it. Ummm what about just going there and trying to find a job teaching English? Then at least they can't shuttle me into something unexpected. :P :D :D

I dunno, haven't decided yet for sure, what I will be doing. I guess I just feel like I need to make change in my life. Yeah, I am having an early mid-life crisis. Bigtime. :lol: :( :(

P.J.

Hi All,

Well, it looks like I will have an opportunity to work as a Software Engineer in Xiamen.  The interview went well, and they want to proceed with salary requirements, start date, etc.  

However, I would like to get some advice and insight from everyone.  Ummm ... is this a bad idea?  Seems like a lot of people are in a hurry to get *out* of southern China.  

Next, they seem to want a one-year committment ... is this normal for jobs in China?!

Someone recommended to me that if I am interested in going over for an extended period of time that I teach English.  Do they want long committments for that as well?!  Also, is the salary for that comparable to software engineering?  I'm not looking to make a lot of money and build some sort of nest egg, this would purely be about the experience ... I would want to make enough to live comfortably for a while, basically spend what I make and get out and see the world.  

Seriously, I am wanting to go out, see a new culture, experience life.  I don't know.  Maybe this is my way of dealing with a previous bad experience.  Maybe I'm just bored.  But at the same time, I am really scared about the idea of leaving my comfort zone, and lifestyle.  

I would be very grateful for thoughts, insight, and advice that y'all could provide!!!  :(  :D

Thanks,

P.J.

I am emailing you right now. hold on :lol:

My husband and i did look for teaching job in china last year. I would like to share our experence with you

http://www.chinateach.org/fact_articles/su..._tips_china.htm

CHINA SURVIVAL TIPS

1. Be honest, diligent, patient and willing to look foolish in all that you do.

2. Be open to do anything, whenever, wherever, however. You will find yourself doing many different things than you expected to do and in various ways. Be flexible and adaptable

3. Be patient and considerate of cultural differnces, especially bureaucratic procedures. You may have to wait what will seem to be an eternity for even the simplest of decisions to be made. That’s the China system. Accept it.

4. Always remember you are a guest in their country. Too often we Americans want things to be the same as they are in America.

5. Generally speaking, the Chinese people think of themselves as belonging to a group, whether it be a political pary, nation, society, school, track team, work unit, etc., whereas we Americans think more in terms of “me”, “I” and “myself”. We have an individualistic outlook on life that can be rather alarming to the Chinese people. Attempt to “lose your rights to gain your privileges.”

6. On the whole, the average Chinese is more shy than an average American. When building friendships, be consistently honest and trustworthy. This will win many friends, both students and administrators alike. Offer your services in areas you can be of assistance.

7. Be prepared to show a great deal of respect for people in authority, for rules and regulations, and for teachers and administrators as well as older people.

8. In order to lessen culture shock, “jump” right into the Chinese culture as soon as you arrive. Speak Chinese as often as you can and be with the people as often as is possible. Try to become a bicultural belonger. Avoid congregating with other foreigners only.

9. Be yourself. You are who you are and will be different to the Chinese no matter how hard you try to become like them. A good motto to follow is: “Keep your good qualities, leave your individualism at home and assimilate the good qualities of the Chinese people.

10. Although fellowship will be less, you may experience God in a more real manner. There’s no doubt that He will have many lessons to teach you during this coming year.

11. Remember love in action speaks louder than any words that you could ever speak. Be willing to live out your Christian life to the utmost. Your life will stand out when the Chinese compare you with other foreigners.

12. Every foreigner’s circumstances are different in China depending on the work unit that supervises you, your status while in China and your behavior. Try to avoid the comparison games.

13. Be wise as serpents and as harmless as doves. Take notice of all that you see. This entails being careful and discerning, knowing when and what to say, who and who not to trust.

14. Go with the expectancy of it being a year of the Lord’s working in your life and through your life. If you believe little will happen, little will happen. Don’t limit Almighty God.

All contents on this website are copyrighted ESI 1981-2003

Hey PJ,

Tony handed you a great deal of good advice. It is good for anywhere you live, but I think especially in China. I really love it there, of course, mostly ShenZhen, but I think most of the people in China are very friendly and open to meeting you halfway, if you only try. Forget you are an American, and just think you are a person.

Good luck whatever you decide,

wolf

PJ- if you have an opportunity to go over and teach English I would definately consider it especially if salary is not really an issue. It is exactly what you are looking for and much more. I have taught several years abroad and loved all of it. There is no better way to experience another culture first hand than through its students. I have spent about five months total teaching in China and loved it all. It's just such a great place.

Whatever you decide, be sure to work out all the details of your contract very carefully. Be sure to consider things like # of hours per week, office hours, weekends, any expectations for other activities such as "English Corners", how many teaching days per year, holiday schedules, living arrangements, etc. Also, you can make decent money on the side teaching private lessons. most of the American teachers in Qingdao are getting from 100 to 200 RMB /hour for private lessons.

Lastly, I'll PM you the address of a program out of New York that places teachers with reputable schools/universities in China. They can give you feedback about any school in China. Some are definately better than others. Good luck, Dave

PJ:

After reading your post, your ideas, and your goals, I would think that spending a year or so in China would be a positive experience for you. I stayed there, teaching English, for five years and can say without reservation that it was one of the most rewarding and fulfilling times of my life. I learned so much and grew so much as a person. If I had it to do over again, I would make the same choice. Loved teaching English and loved my students. Besides, that's where I met Li, the love of my life.

The document Owen is sending you is valuable and the advice Tony posted is also pertinent to life in China. If you decide to go, let me know. I will be glad to post you with my advice regarding specific scenarios you might run into.

Best of Luck.

All,

Thank you very much for the insight and advice! I guess I have an important decision to make in the upcoming future.

Well, actually, every day I face important decisions. Do I put aside my current worries and try to smile, so I can spread positive energy instead of negative? Do I sit and open up, really listen to someone who is having problems in their life instead of nodding and agreeing and pretending to hear?

Actually, when I put it into perspective, the decisions about my career and living situation seems relatively simple. :P :) :rolleyes:

P.J.