P.O.E how long does it take

My SO is planning on flying from NE China to Cincinnati next month.

Her port of entry will be either LAX, SFO, Chicago or New York City one of 3 airports there. Then coming to Cincinnati,Ohio. (There is no direct flight from China to Cincinnati.)

How much time should we allow for between flight changes for customs and immigration?

194222[/snapback]

When I planned trips for my clients, I usually gave them two hours for switching flight at the airport and they always made it.

Guest apophis

My wife arrived through LAX. Flight arrived at scheduled 5:50pm on a Wednesday evening. She came out of the gate at about 7:10pm. Since your SO will be transferring, you would take off some time for baggage claim. I would still say expect 1 1/2 - 2 hrs atleast on average.

I am also interested in the time it takes...

My wife will be flying into Chicago on March 24th.

Also, what should she expect? Are they going to take her into the immigration wing of the airport and sit her down for an interview? Or is it going to be two hours waiting in line to have her passport stamped - and then prodded down toward the X-ray machines hearing "Next!" in the background?

As far as the immigration procedures, someone else might be able to better help you.

But the lines at ORD move fairly quickly - I would guess maybe an hour, although you probably want to allow 2 hours for a connection. Then I believe she'll have to take the tram to a different terminal for a domestic connection.

Guest pushbrk

Her port of entry will be either LAX, SFO, Chicago or New York City one of 3 airports there. Then coming to Cincinnati,Ohio. (There is no direct flight from China to Cincinnati.)

How much time should we allow for between flight changes for customs and immigration?

194222[/snapback]

When I planned trips for my clients, I usually gave them two hours for switching flight at the airport and they always made it.

194317[/snapback]

Two hours is the standard guideline for transferring to another flight at POE. However, I would allow three hours minimum for a transfer that includes an immigrant visa. Of course, if risking an overnight stay at the POE is of no concern, you may well get lucky and make it within the two hours.

The busier the POE at arrival time the longer it takes. Declarations and/or luggage delays can make a big difference.

Tom, my recommendation is to meet your SO at the POE and stay overnight, she would eagerly jump on a plane and fly for another 20 hours without complaining just to be with you.

BUT getting a good nights sleep after her first international flight would be a most welcome relief and in our case it made the following week much easier as we adjusted to the time change.

194222[/snapback]

In my book, better to overestimate than to underestimate

when it comes to flying.

If you underestimate, there goes your connection,

and $200 flight.

If you overestimate, at least, she'll have time to chill out

at the gate and observe American culture for a few hours :rolleyes:

So go for 3 hours.

I am also interested in the time it takes...

My wife will be flying into Chicago on March 24th. 

Also, what should she expect?  Are they going to take her into the immigration wing of the airport and sit her down for an interview? Or is it going to be two hours waiting in line to have her passport stamped - and then prodded down toward the X-ray machines hearing "Next!" in the background?

194332[/snapback]

If you haven't already thought of it, you might want to add making certain your wife fills out the form that asks for a Social Security Card to be automatically sent to your all's address may save some trouble (if they remember to send it).

The "Green Card" probably comes on its own.