Travel plan for interview

Frank_a

Soon, my Sweetie will receive her interview paperwork.

How many days before the interview should I book airfare, and how many days following for return airfare?

Wenzhen lives in Chongqing. Obviously I do not want a return flight when she may need to remain in Guangzhou. Timing seems very important on this issue.

Thanks

Frank

I do not know it about for sure. But When Yanlan gets her interview I plan on a week in Guangzhou. I hope that will be enough time.

rick

When we went to GZ I bought tickets to take us to her hometown for the day we should have picked up the visa, but that was a case of the consulate being closed for the following week, the backup plan was to return to GZ by train the following week and battle out any overcome issues. My office was informed that the trip was open ended and I hoped to return on a specific date.

We waited until we had the visa in hand before purchasing tickets to the US, last minute purchases are common in China and the prices don't get inflated like you see in the US for last minute travel.

The difficulty in purchasing tickets before having the visa is you may or may not be able to change the date on them easily or cheaply.

I recall we allowed 3 days for the medical, one for the interview day, two business days for the visa and then, return. I bought my ticket open-ended. But, when I changed the date the price went up a few hundred RMB because "that class fare is not available on the date you want to fly." We did not buy my SO's return ticket until we had the visa.

We took a train to GUZ (from BJ area)... since we already did the medical in BJ, there was not time contrainst in regards to the medical. (but her location is probably not well suited for this, unless she goes to GUZ some weeks prior to the interview and your arrival)

The two time issues are:

1) if your doing the medical in GUZ, you definitely need to pad days relative to the interview and the day of the week.. if it forces you to wrap around a weekend, there's more time and cost to prepare for. You can pay for expedited next day (in some cases same day) pickup of medical results, but you must get there early and this assumes no complications at the medical.

2a) If you get the visa, you pickup in two days.. but if a friday interview, then a weekend stay exists.

2b)In case of a blue slip, what's your flexibility/plan for staying. In some, less frequent, cases you can return info via fax. At least an extra day for this. If you are in 'overcome', then you setup an appointment to present the documents/proof they ask for... You may or may not be able to do all this while in GUZ. Something might need to be retrieved from her home town.

I guess your looking at a week minimum... Once you get the actual date, you can determine any weekend issues as well..

I'm going over a week before the interview,and allowing 2 weeks afterwards,just in case.But also,it will be a "pre honeymoon too,providing all goes well.Just really depends on how much time you can take off from work.I would allow atleast a week after the interview in case you need to overcome,and it's something you can do there.

I'm going over a week before the interview,and allowing 2 weeks afterwards,just in case.But also,it will be a "pre honeymoon too,providing all goes well.Just really depends on how much time you can take off from work.I would allow atleast a week after the interview in case you need to overcome,and it's something you can do there.

192610[/snapback]

I am not sure how far in advance you are planning, But we had less than 2 weeks between the receival of the P4 and the interview. Good Luck

When I plan a trip to China, I like to give myself 90 days for

the trans-Pacific flight. For domestic airfare let your SO take

care of that.

Instead of just going to GZ for the interview only; maybe make

plans to see some of the sights. Add perhaps more locations like

three cities or so, if the time permits.

Make it something to remember since your SO will not be able to

return for quite some time.

192610[/snapback]

I am not sure how far in advance you are planning, But we had less than 2 weeks between the receival of the P4 and the interview. Good Luck

192672[/snapback]

Got p-4 just prior to Chinese New Year..Got p-3 just prior to Christmas.Your's was 2 weeks,ours 2 months.Yes pkfops,I think a "little side attraction" to Hong Kong is in order after interview.Then the train for 2 days to go hang out with ma and ba before coming back to the states.PROVIDING ALL GOES WELL.I'm starting to experience/understand the anxiety of this long process,and the outcome of the interview.

Soon, my Sweetie will receive her interview paperwork.

How many days before the interview should I book airfare, and how many days following for return airfare?

Wenzhen lives in Chongqing.  Obviously I do not want a return flight when she may need to remain in Guangzhou.  Timing seems very important on this issue.

Thanks

Frank

192376[/snapback]

How about you two meet in Guangzhou?

Chongqing is in mid west China while Guangzhou is in south China.

If you two meet in Guangzhou, you don't have to fly around the whole China.

You tell your SO finish medical exams, everything in Chongqing then bring all the papers to Guangzhou and you meet.

If she has PE in Guangzhou, she needs to be in Guangzhou one week before interview.

If she passes her interview, usually in two or three days she can pick up her visa.

China Southern Airlines: www.cs-air.com

• 4 months later...

so lucky I'm living and working in GZ. no need to make any travel arrangement. While you in GZ dont forget to take a tour to see the city. The Chin Loong Advanture World is a good place if you like Roller Coster Car or so. It has a very long and scaring Roller coster..