American Ginseng Root

Does anyone have a good source that is perhaps online for American Ginseng root?

I looked at my local stores and the best price I could get was $43 for 1/4 pound, which is $172 a pound! I PM'd a couple people about this and they found local markets where it was like $20-30 a pound. This is more in my price range. If you know of one of these stores that will ship, and preferably has a website, please let me know!

I am thinking of getting some of this, along with some local varieties of nuts (my mom lives in the SJ valley), to send to the extended family. I think I will give mom and my wife some special gifts, but a group gift for the others seems the most practical since it will be shipped, not carried in my luggage.

I live in the Western US, but not near any large cities. I guess Spokane, WA would be the closest 'big' city, though it isn't all that close.

Thanks!

Merc

We were at a market in Chinatown and they had Wisconsin ginseng. It started out at $70 for 4 oz or so. My lao po and friend talked them down to $40 for two. Still a lot of money.

I usually buy Korean ginseng in wooden boxes of 100 individually wrapped packets for tea. It makes a good strong cup of tea and it's only about $8 to $12.

So the question is,

why does wisconsin genseng cost so much and why is 99.9% of American farmers planting corn and wheat when they can make a fortune growing fresh ginseng?

(although I can see the initial investment of $100 for a pound of seed as a deterrent!!!) :o ;) :o

We were at a market in Chinatown and they had Wisconsin ginseng. It started out at $70 for 4 oz or so. My lao po and friend talked them down to $40 for two. Still a lot of money.

I usually buy Korean ginseng in wooden boxes of 100 individually wrapped packets for tea. It makes a good strong cup of tea and it's only about $8 to $12.

So the question is,

why does wisconsin genseng cost so much and why is 99.9% of American farmers planting corn and wheat when they can make a fortune growing fresh ginseng?

(although I can see the initial investment of $100 for a pound of seed as a deterrent!!!)  :o ;) :o

167649[/snapback]

Korean and American Ginseng are very different. If you have high pressure, don't take Korean Ginseng.

So the question is,

(although I can see the initial investment of $100 for a pound of seed as a deterrent!!!)  :o :lol: :o

167649[/snapback]

Not sure, but I am plowing up my lawn come Spring! My climate here isn't all that different than Wisconsin -_-

I wish there was a Chinatown near here... Spokane, Missoula, and Boise have no such thing. Maybe Seattle does, but i'd have to fly there so may as well go to SF. Adding $300 to the grocery list makes the Ginseng a lot more spendy though!

UU is ok, but its still as spendy as anywhere else. I guess I should buy some though because I know they will enjoy it, and they did give my relatives 1.25kg of primo red and green tea that goes for about $100 a pound (a huge expenditure for an average small town Chinese family). Reciprocation in kind... yep I am becoming Chinese (and don't mind a bit) :D

Merc

So the question is,

(although I can see the initial investment of $100 for a pound of seed as a deterrent!!!)  :o   :lol:   :o

167649[/snapback]

Not sure, but I am plowing up my lawn come Spring! My climate here isn't all that different than Wisconsin -_-

I wish there was a Chinatown near here... Spokane, Missoula, and Boise have no such thing. Maybe Seattle does, but i'd have to fly there so may as well go to SF. Adding $300 to the grocery list makes the Ginseng a lot more spendy though!

UU is ok, but its still as spendy as anywhere else. I guess I should buy some though because I know they will enjoy it, and they did give my relatives 1.25kg of primo red and green tea that goes for about $100 a pound (a huge expenditure for an average small town Chinese family). Reciprocation in kind... yep I am becoming Chinese (and don't mind a bit) :D

Merc

167667[/snapback]

the wild ginseng have a hunting season of sorts there 3 months out of the year it not allow to be dug up. Missouri has many spots that grow it, I know one guy is planning on putting in 10 acres of it in mid missouri. take 3 years before it can be dug up and has to be shaded. so a lot of work goes into growing it. btw a ginseng root in shape of a man is worthe 500 to 1000 dollars depend on size.

Do I dare ask about grades? What grade would be appropriate?

I am sure it is like tea in that you can buy some for a few RMB for a garbage bag full, or pay 10000RMB+ for 100g.

They have ginseng for a few bucks a pound to wild 50 year old at 2000 bucks a pound! yikes.

They know I am not a wealthy guy, but I want to get the right amount of the right grade. If I want to get $50-60 worth, do I get a huge amount of fair quality, or a little bit of primo stuff?

My mother, it so happens, is in Madison, WI, this week so I asked her to do a little hunting for me if she has time.

Merc, before you buy all this, you may want to see if China allows you to bring in fresh food. You could not bring it into the  US

168021[/snapback]

Postal regulations seem to allow it. I talked with my wife today, and she said it wouldnt be a good idea to send the in-laws Christmas presents. Her mother follows some traditional Chinese religious practices and it may well cause some issues.

"Christmas ok in Guangzhou, but in _______ not ok, because Guangzhou big city and _________ small city old people."

So I have a little more time (Chinese New Year) to figure this whole thing out. I may just go with one of those wrapped 1/4 lb. boxes of maybe Mediums or longs and minimize the possible customs anxiety. She and I are working out some ideas, and then we'll probably have her get most of the items in China (so much cheaper), save for a few of these exotic treats I have in mind...

So the question is,

(although I can see the initial investment of $100 for a pound of seed as a deterrent!!!)  :o   B)   :o

167649[/snapback]

Merc

167667[/snapback]

My wife found some inexpensive American 'Sang' in portland--betcha you could talk one of the numerous portlanders into picking some up for you an sedning it!!

• 1 year later...