Airfares and Airlines

mercator

My experience is on NWA, which is lousy in terms of customer service, but the flights to and from Tokyo were great. The seats were kind of roomy (I'm 6' 225 with long legs), and the in-seat entertainment in economy was great. Made the long flights go a little faster. It was cattle car each way from Tokyo to GZ. They had an in flight movie and food, but the seats were the same as domestic, even though the flight was like 5 hours and change.

The airfares from Spokane, WA are never good, having paid about $950 to go in late September. I am considering a short trip from 12/26 to 1/2. I'm finding cheaptickets has fares as low as $617 INCLUDING FEES but it seems they are fleeting. I ran the exact same search twice and the second time I got fares in the 1300 range, which are higher than I could get from NWA.com. Hong Kong is cheaper (600-900 consistently), and the train is only like $39 to GZ East, but where is the train station from the airport, and could I get soaked for a $150 taxi if I am not that skilled in Mandarin and I know like 3 words of Cantonese.

The cheap fares seem to all involve China Southern or China Air. How do these compare to NWA or American, who also fly to HK and GZ? I've staye in Chinese hotels in GZ versus say the Holiday Inn, and I found them to be more austere and less comfortable. Are the airlines the same?

So I guess what I am asking are for opinions of the various airlines that fly into GZ and HK, as well as any hassles that might or might not be involved in travelling to HK and taking a train to GZ versus flying straight into GZ.

Thanks!

Merc

My experience is on NWA, which is lousy in terms of customer service, but the flights to and from Tokyo were great.  The seats were kind of roomy (I'm 6' 225 with long legs), and the in-seat entertainment in economy was great.  Made the long flights go a little faster.  It was cattle car each way from Tokyo to GZ.  They had an in flight movie and food, but the seats were the same as domestic, even though the flight was like 5 hours and change.

The airfares from Spokane, WA are never good, having paid about $950 to go in late September.  I am considering a short trip from 12/26 to 1/2.  I'm finding cheaptickets has fares as low as $617 INCLUDING FEES but it seems they are fleeting.  I ran the exact same search twice and the second time I got fares in the 1300 range, which are higher than I could get from NWA.com.  Hong Kong is cheaper (600-900 consistently), and the train is only like $39 to GZ East, but where is the train station from the airport, and could I get soaked for a $150 taxi if I am not that skilled in Mandarin and I know like 3 words of Cantonese.

The cheap fares seem to all involve China Southern or China Air.  How do these compare to NWA or American, who also fly to HK and GZ?  I've staye in Chinese hotels in GZ versus say the Holiday Inn, and I found them to be more austere and less comfortable.  Are the airlines the same?

So I guess what I am asking are for opinions of the various airlines that fly into GZ and HK, as well as any hassles that might or might not be involved in travelling to HK and taking a train to GZ versus flying straight into GZ.

Thanks!

Merc

164387[/snapback]

not sure about china flights but bt-store.com is still the cheapest for me going to Hanoi from Kansas city it 900 before Dec 14 and it 1300 from dec 15 on unfornate I have final tests to take that week and can only leave on the 16th, "sign" 400 dollars save would have been nice. still holding off on buying until 2 weeks incase of surprises.

they fexEx the tickets to your door and my last trip was without problems

Robert

My experience is on NWA, which is lousy in terms of customer service, but the flights to and from Tokyo were great.  The seats were kind of roomy (I'm 6' 225 with long legs), and the in-seat entertainment in economy was great.  Made the long flights go a little faster.  It was cattle car each way from Tokyo to GZ.  They had an in flight movie and food, but the seats were the same as domestic, even though the flight was like 5 hours and change.

The airfares from Spokane, WA are never good, having paid about $950 to go in late September.  I am considering a short trip from 12/26 to 1/2.  I'm finding cheaptickets has fares as low as $617 INCLUDING FEES but it seems they are fleeting.  I ran the exact same search twice and the second time I got fares in the 1300 range, which are higher than I could get from NWA.com.  Hong Kong is cheaper (600-900 consistently), and the train is only like $39 to GZ East, but where is the train station from the airport, and could I get soaked for a $150 taxi if I am not that skilled in Mandarin and I know like 3 words of Cantonese.

The cheap fares seem to all involve China Southern or China Air.  How do these compare to NWA or American, who also fly to HK and GZ?  I've staye in Chinese hotels in GZ versus say the Holiday Inn, and I found them to be more austere and less comfortable.  Are the airlines the same?

Thanks!

Merc

164387[/snapback]

Merc:

I have used FlyChina.com for my tickets and have found they are very competitive and will work hard to get you a good rate. Of course, just like everything else, prices have gone up and up over the past year.

I flew China Southern for both trips to China and the service was excellent.

Good luck.

Fred

I fly out of Dulles, Washington, and typically use United, the prices have always been the best and of course the service is great...

there is an unbelivable price on R/T from Dulles, through Detroit on NWA, to Shanghai for $461.... I had not planned to go back anytime soon, but couldn't resist this deal...... going in Jan

Edited by HanLi (see edit history)
there is an unbelivable price on R/T from Dulles, through Detroit on NWA, to Shanghai for $461....  I had not planned to go back anytime soon, but couldn't resist this deal......  going in Jan

165215[/snapback]

WOW that is a good rate. If I could find that to GZ I'd leave in Jan too. Even HK. Did you get that rate off of NWA.com or a consolidator site?

I'm usually finding rates about $1000-1100 after all the fees, GEG (spokane) to CAN (gz).

I've not had much better luck SEAttle to CAN, even when I find $100 GEG-SEA connectors...

Have a great time in China with your SO.

My 8lbs. kitchen sink to lao po cost me $175 to fed ex in 1 week delivery time. 1 way trip from Shanghai to SFO is $465 on China air.

Wait to see how much my package of eveidence costs to mail.

No Kidding... It was $175 to mail an 8lbs box of papers to China... UPS wasn't much cheaper. I went with Fed Ex though cause I really liked that "Castaway" movie with Tom Hanks. :banned:

NWA Delta and United are all in bankruptcy protection. UAL (United's parent company) lost tens of billions last *quarter*! USAir is close if they aren't also. The big ones are all hurting, faltering (IMHO) under the weight of their own inefficient system. I detest SWA, but they do have a simple and effective formula.

I would hesitate to make an airline reservation more than a month or two in advance. The good fares are over 3-6 weeks out, but they get worse further out because the airline doesn't know fuel prices and such either, so the rate is often higher as a hedge.

I hesitate to make the reservation not because I fear they will no longer exist, but rather I fear they may reduce service and cancel the flight.